Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Would Elvis '56 approve of the Elvis '76 if foreseen?

He would like the future Elvis he was to become
15%
He would not like/approve/understand the future Elvis
85%

Total votes : 20

If 50s Elvis could see himself in the future

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:46 pm

In if 1956, for example, if Elvis was shown a vision of who he is 20 years later...and saw the 1976 Elvis for example,

would he like that future person?
The stage clothes? The look? The physique? The setlist?

Change happens so gradual in real life, that we don't really notice, but what if you could fast forward and see yourself 20 years later.

Would he like/approve of the future Elvis he was to become?

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:00 pm

I'm going with that he wouldn't understand the person he would become. Of course having had the world in the palm of his hand at the age of 21, make it's difficult to have the same thing at 41, whether it be because of growing older, poor health, personal pain or numerous other reasons. His situation was so unique, so mind boggling that I'm sure he couldn't believe how his life was or had become. I'm not sure how many people in his spot could have managed. We are looking at things after the fact which makes circumstances a lot more clearer and thus we can pinpoint the mistakes he made during his life.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:17 pm

A difficult poll.... I guess he wouldn´t like it... Maybe he would have liked the tracklisting but his physical he would care... It´s really hard to say!

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:19 pm

G G -

He wouldn't like what he saw.

Would any of us ?

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:23 pm

ColinB wrote:G G -

He wouldn't like what he saw.

Would any of us ?

No. :(

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:44 pm

I voted yes for one simple reason.

Elvis was apparently plagued by a recurring nightmare that he was poor again, that his fame and success were all gone.

My view on this that if nothing else, the 50's Elvis, especially the 50's Elvis about to be drafted, would probably take comfort and re-assurance from the fact he still had a career, was still playing to packed houses in 1976.

Maybe, in 1956, Elvis would take a look at his mum, still alive, see himself in poor shape in 1976, and see himself in her? Who knows if that would be enough to ensure he stayed in shape, and away from drugs?

Either way, nice thought provoking post!

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:25 pm

Thanks DarrylMac

everyone so far has good reasons for the way they voted - you too.

That is a good point that Elvis would see that he still had wealth in the future.

Yet, let's say, future Elvis had the "appearance of wealth" -
if he saw the accountant books and bank statements, would he think otherwise?

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:03 am

GG - thanks for that - and you're right about the money, although I think the fact he was still performing to his fans would be what he might have taken more comfort to him than just being wealthy.

That said, I'd have loved for Elvis to be able to afford to take 1977 off, rather than being committed to having to continue touring to fund his lifestyle.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:30 am

If I looked liked Elvis did in 1956 and then saw what I would look like in 1976, I'd sure be depressed. Putting aside the physical appearance, he'd see a divorced and lonely man with a drug habit. Yes, he might be glad to still be popular, but he'd be a strange individual to be satisfied with what was in store in his personal life

Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:49 am

I think that had '56 Elvis been able to meet '76 Elvis and learn what was in store, '56 Elvis would have immediately driven back to Crown and asked for his job back.

I don't know about you all, but I'd be willing to give up my music collection knowing that somewhere out there tonight a 70 year old retired electrician is happily bouncing one of his grandchildren on his knee.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:28 am

Emotionally, he would've been devastated to see his mother long gone, dad remarried, and the death of his own marriage.
Artistically speaking, he would've been devastated at the demise of a once promising film career.
He also would've been surprised in the deepening of his own voice.
I agree with EagleUSA ... a retired 70yr old electrician isn't such a bad thing.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:01 am

EagleUSA wrote:I think that had '56 Elvis been able to meet '76 Elvis and learn what was in store, '56 Elvis would have immediately driven back to Crown and asked for his job back.

I tend to agree. If Elvis could see 20 years into the future and know that he was in for years of being lonely, heartbreak, not being able to trust anyone, terminal apathy, drug addiction and dying on the floor alone in his bathroom at such a young age not realizing what he meant to the world, I tend to think he would have been one heck of an electrician.

He, more than likely, would be retired today and enjoying his "autumn years" sitting on the front porch with his wife of many years and enjoying an occasional peanut butter and banana sandwich.

His wife is constantly watching what he eats because he seems to be getting a little wider around the mid-section. She makes him eat low-fat peanut butter and will not let him, under any circumstances, fry it in butter.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:52 am

Eagle -

You wrote:
I don't know about you all, but I'd be willing to give up my music collection knowing that somewhere out there tonight a 70 year old retired electrician is happily bouncing one of his grandchildren on his knee.

Well, yeah, but can I keep the 56 sessions ?

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:01 am

Well if Elvis 1956 saw Elvis 1976, he would have changed a few things and not let it happen. :wink:

Just wait till I finish work on my time machine(I know you've been wondering what's been taking up so much of my time lately) and I'll take some video's etc. back to show him what happened. So next time you open up the MB maybe Elvis will be alive fit and healthy and living in Oz.

OK gotta go and get this thing finished. If you don't hear from me in a week you know my experiment was a failure. :(

:wink:

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:12 am

Elvis´76 walking by memphis and suddenly bumping into a young elvis aged 18... This looks like an episode of the TWILIGHT ZONE! :D

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:50 am

He may have been scared to see himself at 41 in the summer of 1976 but he may have liked the powerful voice. I think he would have been very enthusiastic and proud to see himself anno 1970-July 1973.

Sincerely MB280E