Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Observation Re-leather Guitar Cover

Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:54 pm

Hi,

I was watching 'Elvis by the Presleys' over the weekend, and I noticed something. There's home video footage from the mid/late 50's. I think it might be Eddie Fadal's place, I'm not sure, I lways get them mixed up. Elvis is wearing a short casual jacket over the rest of his clothes. It's the film where some guy with a monkey mask sits on Elvis' lap etc..

Well anyway, there's a shot of Elvis playing guitar, and at first I thought it was his guitar, but the leather guitar cover has 'Charlie' engraved into it.

This, i think, would have been before Elvis met Charlie in the army.. so I was wondering if anyone knew who this other 'Charlie' might be..??

Could be my dates are all over the place, and it's after he met Charlie, but I'm ready to be educated!

Kev.

Re: Observation Re-leather Guitar Cover

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:16 pm

That footage was shot at Sam Phillips' home, Kev. The 'Charlie' who the guitar belongs to is songwriter Charles Underwood. Up until a few years ago he was still making leather covers for guitars.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:24 pm

Check this out!

http://www.guitarcovers.com/aboutus.html

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:37 pm

Well.. Thanks guys.. Numerous bits of information there that I never knew before.

So it was Sam's house. I assume then that Sam is behind the counter, as we don't see him in the footage.

Interesting that you can still order the guitar covers..

Kev.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:51 pm

Yeah, you don't see Sam in the footage but you do see Dewey Phillips and Barbara Pittman. Incidentally, Charles Underwood was present at the Million Dollar Quartet - he's the 'Charlie' you hear Elvis refering to.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:46 pm

I read somewhere that Buddy Holly made his own, and I wondered how Elvis came to have his, now I know, Thanks

Andy

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:47 pm

I read somewhere that Buddy Holly made his own, and I wondered how Elvis came to have his, now I know, Thanks

Andy