Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:39 am

I doubt I would have suggested anything. I would have been just as sycophantic and vacuous as the rest of them and, as long as he was paying me, I would have done exactly what he said.

Although Lily the Pink by The Scaffold would be nice.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:00 am

I have always liked the song Green River by CCR....Elvis would have done a great job on this one in Concert in the early 70's...

Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:39 am

There are many songs that I would have liked to have heard Elvis' version.

One of them would be I'm Leaving It Up To You. It's a great song and if Elvis had pursued it in a serious manner and had a good studio version of the song, it would be much more recognized than it is now. Unfortunately, the rehearsal version that is available only features Elvis singing the bridge over and over. There is only one verse to the song but the words are very prophetic as to what was going on in Elvis' life at the time and would have been a great Presley release.

Turn Around, Look At Me would have been another one that would be welcomed if done seriously in the studio and a full version onstage.

Elvis could have done justice to Roy Orbison's Crying. Rumor has it that he was thinking about recording it and even fooled around with it a little.

Too bad these were not pursued on a more serious level.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:50 am

I can imagine him singing "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies. The TCB Band would have knocked this one out and it kinda goes along with E's undercover law enforcement fantasies.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:09 pm

Portrait Of My Love is another gem he played around with in the early seventies. I think he would have nailed that one perfectly as well.

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:37 pm

smoke gets in your eyes - the platters (ditto!)

that lucky old sun - ? ...i've heard a really good jerry lee version

the night they drove old dixie down - ? ...heard the joan baez version--i'm guessing it's an old circa civil war song

those last two are country flavored and very appropriate for his voice i'd think. especially that last one.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:55 pm

ColinB wrote:I guess Something was his best Beatle cover.

Not for me. I can't get past the high voiced female back up singing. Ugh!

Jules

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:56 pm

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is a song by The Band. (1969)

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm

Joan Baez is the only one I've ever heard do it. Good song though.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:53 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:
I doubt I would have suggested anything. I would have been just as sycophantic and vacuous as the rest of them and, as long as he was paying me, I would have done exactly what he said.

Probably true for most of us. As Elvis's professional f^rt catchers, I wouldn't think the MM were in a position to suggest much of anything outside of the norm without getting a tongue lashing from Parker.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:04 pm

Well, it was written and recorded by The Band (words & music by Robbie Robertson), and that´s the ultimate version too!

Sincerely MB280E