Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Shocking New Haven'76 review

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:51 am

I know I can't change history, but I found this fanreview of the New Haven'76 show and couldn't believe it.. I know about the Houston disaster but this one is new to me..
I do remember reading some positive things about this show..
Does anyone have more info on this particular concert?

"Now, I am running out of time, so I'll be brief about seeing Elvis in concert much later (this may have been 1976, "I really don't want to know" as this was a shocking disaster: Elvis was not really fat-he looked like a stuffed giant white doll. He didn't move at all. He only sang about 8 songs before we asked for our money back. Yes, we and many others did this. I know that it sounds bad, but this was a horrible scene.
Elvis wore white boots that had huge heals. His eyes were almost shut most of the time-he mumbled - people were yelling out every so often -things like "sing!" The time it took between songs was irritating.
There were only old ladies there with old men. I'll never forget when he sang that crummy song, "And I Love You So" many of these women cried out and that disgusted me because they were old ladies with big hair-fat and were all that seemed to be left of his fans.
I could tell you a lot more (including something that I just bet no one knows-I keeping that to myself but it was amazing-it proved that he still had the talent-but he must have been to sick or depressed to do it anymore).
Oh, before that concert audience people were talking about him. One woman was saying that she hoped that he showed up. I never in my life heard anyone say anything like that- she told another woman that (it may have been the night before-I am not certain) Elvis had come out on stage at his concert and the people were told that he was sick and would not be singing but that he would appear-he took the gifts of flowers from people and notes, etc., but looked really bad. He didn't sing and looked swollen.
At the concert I went to I noticed that the band, or rather the over all band- looked smaller than I had seen it - he had a huge band with an orchestra as you know. Elvis also stood center stage right and back somewhat for most of this consert (I say most because we went to an usher and asked how to get our money back. When we did this we were still able to hear and see the concert - it took time to get a signed voucher). Altogether he sang about 8 songs during the time we were there- and that was a long time.
His jump suit was white, but as I said, he looked stuffed and painted and was out of it. Still, I never thought at that time, that he did drugs-I believed that he was suffering- he must have had some ongoing illness- it was obvious that the songs that he was doing on his albums at that time were sung to his ex-wife - he was wounded by loosing his family and I suppose that is what damaged him and lead to his end.
Sorry to close this on a sad note, but this is a true account of both concerts"

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:09 am

I've heard very few positive things said about the summer tours of 1976.
A little surprising though that the fans didn't like the show. The only reason I'm saying this is because when I saw Elvis in May 1977, the fans didn't seem to care whether Elvis sang or not. They were just in awe of his very presence.

Of course, we're glad he chose to sing.

shocking new

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:25 am

Thank you Robert. What a wonderful start of the week! Could well be the show was a minor disaster, but so is the writing of the reviewer! My 11 year old son could do better! Axe, burn or flush It?! On the other hand, theres news about Legendary Performer vol 7 on the Import News Page this morning. And that surely is good news to begin this week with...!

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:33 am

That review is most likely made up by a person who has never attended an Elvis concert. The things he say sounds too damn stupid to come from a man who ever attended one of his shows. That Elvis just appeared the night before, accepted the gifts and flowers and didn´t sing...? Yeah, that sounds very likely... :roll:

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:34 am

Goedemorgen Ger,

Keep in mind I read this Friday, what a start of the weekend that was!
Somehow I'm hoping to get some comments that it was actually a fine performance by our man.. let's wait and see.....

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:39 am

i've seen that review from the elvis concerts forum, she claims she saw a concert in 71, he was in black, but can't remeber the date. that he sang for over 2 hours. bull!

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:44 am

Well, last I heard he did perform in 1971. He also wore black in 1971. Did he perform a 2 hour show? It wouldn't be unheard of. He had been known to perform long shows in his time.

We do not know the details of EVERY 1971 concert, do we?

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:59 am

Rob wrote:Well, last I heard he did perform in 1971. He also wore black in 1971. Did he perform a 2 hour show? It wouldn't be unheard of. He had been known to perform long shows in his time.

We do not know the details of EVERY 1971 concert, do we?

I don´t....

Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:00 pm

well i've gone to the elvis concerts site, and the tracklisting for the tour is big, but not 2 hours i don't think. the only performance known to be 2 hours and over is the 76 tahoe closing.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:01 pm

While the site you are referring to is very helpful and the best we have, don't bet your life on everything there.

We also don't know everything about every Vegas and Tahoe show from 1971.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:30 pm

This so-called reviewer is dead wrong! I know this for a fact because I was at this '76 New Haven show (I was 16 at the time. It was my second, and sadly last, Elvis concert). As summer '76 shows go this was a rather decent, reasonably well-sung performance by Elvis. There is an audience recording available (which I have), and he doesn't sound tired or slurry. And he wore the blue prehistoric bird suit so the reviewer is wrong about that too! The concert is about 65 minutes long.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:54 pm

Pete Dube wrote:This so-called reviewer is dead wrong! I know this for a fact because I was at this '76 New Haven show (I was 16 at the time. It was my second, and sadly last, Elvis concert). As summer '76 shows go this was a rather decent, reasonably well-sung performance by Elvis. There is an audience recording available (which I have), and he doesn't sound tired or slurry. And he wore the blue prehistoric bird suit so the reviewer is wrong about that too! The concert is about 65 minutes long.

Thanks for clearing that up for us Pete. It was just a given from some critics that if EP didn't look that great, the concerts itself weren't so good either, which we all know is for the most part untrue.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:58 pm

C-r-a-p! It´s obvious the person never attended an Elvis show. And, oh yes, he wore white boots with huge heals? Really, like platform boots? :roll:

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:53 pm

Pete Dube wrote:This so-called reviewer is dead wrong! I know this for a fact because I was at this '76 New Haven show (I was 16 at the time. It was my second, and sadly last, Elvis concert). As summer '76 shows go this was a rather decent, reasonably well-sung performance by Elvis. There is an audience recording available (which I have), and he doesn't sound tired or slurry. And he wore the blue prehistoric bird suit so the reviewer is wrong about that too! The concert is about 65 minutes long.

Good to know that Pete!!! Do you have the exact date of the concert ??? I swear my mind is not good today... Usually I know the dates and places but I´m lost in this one! :shock:

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:03 pm

Marco Aurelio wrote:

Good to know that Pete!!! Do you have the exact date of the concert ??? I swear my mind is not good today... Usually I know the dates and places but I´m lost in this one! :shock:

July 30, 1976.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:15 pm

THANKS Pete!!! :D

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:46 pm

Rob wrote:While the site you are referring to is very helpful and the best we have, don't bet your life on everything there.

Those are nice words.

YesI do think that the review is not too accurate. I was tempted to delete it but I guess speaks by it self

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:12 am

:( You simply cannot believe everything you read!- especially some reviews! listening to the show(if available) is always the best answer..... i mean like in Tahoe May 74' i read that Elvis missed 2 shows on the 22nd May,..... only to be listening to an Excellent concert he gave on 22nd May released by the 'Unicorn' label....thanks to Barbara D! 8) i think he didn't miss any shows in May 74' :wink:

Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:00 am

The show is not all bad . The sound here is a little better than CY vol. 85.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:27 am

Francesc wrote:
Rob wrote:While the site you are referring to is very helpful and the best we have, don't bet your life on everything there.

Those are nice words.

Your site has been a big help while researching various tidbits of concert information. Obviously, you have worked very hard to make this information readily available. I use it a lot and appreciate you and your site.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:59 am

Had the reviewer been referring to the Houston show on August 28, 1976, the article would have been much more believable.

Many things in the article pertaining to Elvis' performance that afternoon coincide with the Houston concert (even though he did sing.) He had his eyes closed for much of the opening half of the show and the audience and band members couldn't understand what he was saying.

It was supposedly his worst appearance ever.

Here's a photo from that particular show. You can clearly see Charlie saying to Jerry....I certainly hope he doesn't fall off of the stage before he gets to introduce me.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:48 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.., I'm gonna buy this show and ckeck it out myself..
Strange an audience recoring of the Houston show never showed up..
The show is recorded on soundboard, it would make a 'different' box set together with College Park'74 and Omaha'77. Because after that things can only get better..

Cheers, Robert