Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

1034 AUDUBON DRIVE NOMINATED FOR NATIONAL REGISTER

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:12 pm

For the story, please go to the following URL:

http://newsfromrussia.com/culture/2005/09/24/63596.html

Brian :D

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:38 pm

Would this prevent the owners from doing renovations to the inside of the house as well? Anyone?

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:33 am

I don't know, but I do know that, currently, they have discontinued the tours of the house, due to personal issues.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:35 am

minni1 wrote:I don't know, but I do know that, currently, they have discontinued the tours of the house, due to personal issues.

Hmmm, that's interesting, because on Aug. 13 of Tribute Week they held a very public outdoor barbecue for anyone willing to pay $35. You could hang out there during the afternoon, swim in the pool, tour the house, etc. The Memphis paper even had a big front-page article about it. Obviously, something happened within the past month or so to warrant the changes. I hope everything is OK with Mike and/or Cindy.

Why?

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:50 pm

Why is there such a push to put the Audobon DR. home on the National Register of Historic Places? Elvis lived there for what, less than 3 years? And of those he was rarely there due to concert, TV, and movie appearances. I can't think there would be many happy memories of that place anyway due to the neighbors not liking them. What's next? A push to have all of his California homes put on the Register because he lived there? The Hilton because he lived and worked there? Every arena he did a concert because well, he did a concert there? I think sometimes people lose sight of the fact that Elvis was a man just like everyone else. More popular than most to be sure and musically more talented. But he was human and a deeply flawed and troubled one at that. I love his music as much as anyone and think for the most part he was a great guy but I try to keep things in perspective.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:20 pm

Yes johngael, Why not? It seems like the longer time goes by, less value some of these places have. In 20 years what will be left?

I'm happe I saw American Sound and BMH..... May not mean anything to a lot of people, but for those of us who like history, many of these points is part of it.