Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Where is an "unchained melody" home recording??

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:38 am

This one has bugged me for a while. Look at the facts. Elvis has known this song since the 50's. He obviously like the song. Suddenly in the last year of his life he starts doing it in concert. Why is there no practice or home recording of this song? You would think that he would have attempted it at home at some time and taped it to hear what it sounded like. When did he work on it? who was around? Since he did it alone at the piano, I assume he never tried it with the band in rehearsal. This one just seemed to pop up out of nowhere in 1976. Did he work on it somewhere between December 12th and the 27th?

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:14 pm

I'm sure he did a lot of songs in private that were never recorded. Also, I have a feeling that the song was not rehearsed prior to December 27, 1976. During the audience recording of the show in Witchita, one gets the feeling that the band had no idea what he was going to do prior to him actually sitting down at the piano and performing the song.

Unfortunately, I can't say for sure. However, I don't think there was any rehearsing done between December 12th and December 27, 1976.

I'd go out on a limb to say that there was never anything of the sort done after his last recording sessions in February and October 1976.