Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Meets Nixon

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:42 pm

Finally watched this film last night and I thought it was hilarious. It was very tongue in cheek and played on so many of the myths about both Elvis and Nixon. If you didn't think this movie was funny as hell, then you're just taking all this way too seriously.

Tom

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:55 pm

I saw it a long time ago and I remember thinking that the actor was making Elvis look kind of dumb. Not by dialogue but by facial expressions. That was my take. It was very funny at times.(the hippy scene) :lol:

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:07 pm

Tom, I have to admit, I thought it was pretty funny as well.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:34 pm

Good flick...although it could have done without some of the celebrity "Elvis Experts" IMO....nonethless, enjoyable.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:07 pm

My favorite part was the doughnut shop scene :D

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:15 pm

It's been a while, but yea, it was pretty funny! That guy that played Nixon was a hoot... as I remember.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:43 pm

I also got a good laugh over this movie. Too many people took it too seriously when it first appeared, but maybe it would be received a little differently by the masses today.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:58 pm

I liked it too, but several months ago there was a thread on this movie, and nearly everyone hated it.

When it originally aired they put a bonus after-movie discussion about the event. I think it was 20 or 30 minutes long.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:16 pm

I though it was funny too. There's several funny scenes in it. I love the scene where Vernon and Priscilla are watching tv and see Elvis at the airport kicking a vending machine. Also, it's funny when Elvis doesn't know how to use his credit card. Lot's of other funny scenes too. :D

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:08 pm

I saw this movie a few years ago and I literally laughed like hell..........it was very enjoyable!

It would be cool if there was a more serious movie made about this particular event in Elvis's life, though....if that's even possible.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:40 am

I thought this movie was great. I love the scene where this hippie kid approches Elvis on the street and goes on about how much he inspiered him and his generation to be free and then Elivs looks at him and his scroungy, unkept appearance and says, "Well what happened man!"

And you gotta love the casting of Curtis Armstrong (Booger from Revenge of the nerds) as a member of the Memphis Mafia.

I rank this movie right up there with Bubba Ho-Tep. They kid around and make a little fun, but it's clear that whoever put these movies together are obvioulsy big fans of the king.

I'd like to see this out on DVD.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:43 am

Tony Trout wrote:It would be cool if there was a more serious movie made about this particular event in Elvis's life, though....if that's even possible.

Given the subject matter and what we know of the facts of this absurd, yet monumental event, I really don't think it is possible to get anymore serious than this movie. :lol:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:00 am

I liked this movie, too. I would definately like to have it on DVD.

Rich

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:20 pm

carolynlm wrote:I thought the tv network could have been a bit more sensitve to the time they aired it.

Why?.

Tony...ch4 in the uk did a doc on the NIXON meeting,with people from the Nixon camp who was there etc.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:26 pm

Trevell wrote:And you gotta love the casting of Curtis Armstrong (Booger from Revenge of the nerds) as a member of the Memphis Mafia.

Wow, this gets better and better! Booger is the man! I can vividly imagine him as a MM member... Haha, great. :D

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:33 pm

Trevell wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:It would be cool if there was a more serious movie made about this particular event in Elvis's life, though....if that's even possible.

Given the subject matter and what we know of the facts of this absurd, yet monumental event, I really don't think it is possible to get anymore serious than this movie. :lol:

You're probably right. That whole event was just bizarre! You've got to love EP's... err, unusual approach to reality, though. No matter what he did, he did it Elvis-style. That's why he is the coolest man to ever walk the world.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:43 pm

I found it to be strangely well acted..in a Bubba Ho-Tep kind of way. I enjoyed it alot and I wish it was on DVD. I would buy it in a second.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:50 pm

Bubba ho tep is fantastic ,especially, the dvd directors cut when"Elvis"makes comments about the movie...hillarious

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:53 pm

I really enjoyed it too. While they did make some crap up and add things to the real story you can picture Elvis doing and saying the things they showed. Like the scenes in San Francisco in the record store and in the hippie community. I can picture Elvis acting that way and saying those exact things.

Problem is that the people out there that are not Elvis experts thought a lot of that actually happened.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:27 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:You're probably right. That whole event was just bizarre! You've got to love EP's... err, unusual approach to reality, though. No matter what he did, he did it Elvis-style. That's why he is the coolest man to ever walk the world.
Keith Richards, Jr.

Here Here!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:07 pm

I usually dislike films where Elvis is depicted, yet I found myself laughing out loud at this movie! Some hillarious scenes, especially the one in the doughnut shop! :lol: