9%
That's The Way It Is
9%
Elvis Country
9%
Live From Madison Square Garden
6%

Total votes : 34

For Ger (again) - The best Elvis album cover!

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:22 pm

Don't shoot the messenger!! These are the ten that sprang to my mind and the maximum for a poll is 10 choices and we all like a good argument. :D

The only criteria for the poll is mainstream US releases in Elvis' lifetime. However, feel free to post other great covers including boots, foreign releases, post '77 albums. Also, Ger is giving CD's away with the best stories accompanying your choice. Here are the poll choices......

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:39 pm

I voted for ELVIS PRESLEY amazing even to this day. I would have had a hard time if FOR LP FANS ONLY was there. What album have you seen with just the face and title of the artist? No name on the cover! Only Elvis.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:02 pm

I had this on the short list...

It shows amazing confidence at that early stage in the power of their artist. The 'Presley' being dropped as early as the 2nd album is another example. Fine cover!

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:07 pm

Elvis Presley probably takes the cake as a design classic, just ask The Clash.

50,000,000 presents what is probably the most iconic image of Elvis ever produced. When I think of the phrase The King of Rock and Roll that is the shot I think of.

NBC TV special is very iconic too, and much copied like the previous examples, but I think they did it one better using the male figures in the background for Elvis In Memphis. Even though the shot is obviously from the previous milestone in Elvis' career I think that shot is both more powerful and beautiful than the NBC cover. (And a better album.)

Despite all this, and for strictly personal reasons, my favorite is Elvis' Golden Records. As a child I coveted a babysitter's copy of this album for years before I got my own copy. The cover was so colorful, Elvis' sneer so friendly yet with a hint of menacing smugness, the hanging records seemed to promise magic, a promise fulfilled when you placed it on the platter and heard the greatest concentration of stone cold 50's classics heard on one disc at that time. I still thrill to the site of that cover in full LP scale.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:09 pm

BIA wrote:Despite all this, and for strictly personal reasons, my favorite is Elvis' Golden Records. As a child I coveted a babysitter's copy of this album for years before I got my own copy. The cover was so colorful, Elvis' sneer so friendly yet with a hint of menacing smugness, the hanging records seemed to promise magic, a promise fulfilled when you placed it on the platter and heard the greatest concentration of stone cold 50's classics heard on one disc at that time. I still thrill to the site of that cover in full LP scale.

That's one of Ger's CD's gone! :D Nice post BIA. 8)

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:11 pm

Gold Records 2 8) :shock: :D

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:16 pm

Some of the other guys have picked some of my favourite covers - the first album, the second Gold Records and so on, so I'll go for my favourite bootleg covers. I always thought 'I Wanna Be A Rock n Roll Star' was very striking - far better than when RCA loused it up when they used the same photo as a cartoon on 'The Sun Collection'. The cover for 'The Dorsey Shows' was cool as well - great b&w pix that made me long to see the shows themselves. I did do - eventually. 'From The Waist Up' was another great cover. The colour picture on the front had nothing to do with the stuff on the LP (the Sullivan shows) but so what?

The cover of 'The Loving You Sessions' was great - front and back. Then 'Elvis Rocks Little Rock' (like a 'Life' magazine cover) and 'The Jailhouse Rock Sessions' (that one just blew me away!). The design on these boots was much better than what RCA were churning out at the same time (1970s / 1980s). How come the bootleggers had better photos than RCA? I could never understand that. Whoever designed those boot sleeves really knew what they were doing. RCA have never been able to beat them.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:17 pm

Delboy -

Strange that we in the UK got different sleeves for 'Elvis' & 'Elvis Christmas Album' !

I wonder what led to that decision ?

They also dropped the "50 Million Fans Can't Be Wrong" wording from Gold Records Vol.2, but we got the gold-suited Elvises.

Anyway, Elvis Presley got my vote.

That is a classic sleeve for any album, not just those of Elvis !

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:23 pm

Thank you, Delboy.

One additional comment, IMO Elvis is Back is not a great cover. It looks like Elvis has bedhead, his face seems puffy, that goofy white courderoy shirt looks uncomfortable, and the hard shadows don't work for me either, strange lighting! That album deserved better - and with a better cover I believe it might have sold better too. Instead it was dwarfed in sales by G.I. BLues and Blue Hawaii, both with better looking Elvis photos, thus unfortunately establishing the emphasis on Elvis' movie product over everything else for most of the decade!

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:30 pm

Brian -

I never liked that sleeve, either !

I just didn't like that immediate post-army period when he sported the longer-hair-on-top but still short-over-the-ears look.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:00 am

You're probably right about 'Elvis Is Back', the content and title are better than the layout. 'For LP Fans Only' might have been a better choice. I think it was an attempt to show Elvis back in civvies, but there were better choices (one of the Graceland interview shots perhaps?).

Here are some of the better post 1977 covers. In particular I love Rocker! That was a class cover...... 8)

Image Image

Image Image

for Ger again

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:47 am

First of all Delboy , thanks for helping me again! You stepped in when I had given up on Gregory. And now theres TWO topics on the same subject! Dont know what to do anymore...? This is not what I had in mind. Really dont know how to work this out ?

Re: for Ger again

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:28 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:And now theres TWO topics on the same subject! Really dont know how to work this out ?

It's Greg's fault! He should pay more attention! :D

This thread is officially closed! Please post you favourite album cover comments and anecdotes on Greg's thread "What is your fave Elvis Lp cover art ...and memories of it?" The guys who posted comments on here may want to repeat them on the other thread (there's a CD at stake :D ).

Another of my threads dies a slow death........

[What's new? - The Management]