Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"my elusive dreams," live recording

Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:02 am

I read that elvis did a one-liner of this classic sometime in Lake tahoe 1976. Can anyone tell me which show this is in? I am trying to collect all the one-liners.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:14 am

you'd be lucky! in your dreams!

Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:27 am

<u>Where</u> did you read this? Although it's unfamiliar, it's not that off-base, given the song's recording history:

Tammy Wynette & David Houston - 1967
Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell - 1968
Jack Palance - 1970
Charlie Rich - 1974
Also recorded by:
Roger Miller; Eddie Dean; George Jones; B.J. Thomas; Hagood Hardy; Don Gibson; Bobby Vinton; Jim Nabors; Marty Robbins.

-----

MY ELUSIVE DREAMS
(Putman / Sherrill)

I followed you to Texas
I followed you to Utah
We didn't find it there, so we mo-oved on
I followed you to Alabam'
Things looked good in Birmingham
We didn't find it there, so we moved on

I know you're tired of followin'
My elusive dreams and schemes
For they're only fleeting things
My elusive dreams

I had your child in Memphis
You heard of work in Nashville
To a small farm in Nebraska
To a gold mine in Alaska

And now we've left Alaska
Because there was no gold mine
But this time, only two of us move on
Now all we have is each other
And a little memory to cling to
And still you won't let me go on alone

I know you're tired of followin'
My elusive dreams and schemes
My elusive dreams
(Ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh)
My elusive dreams

-----

Peace!

Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:09 am

Charlie Rich's version of this song is absolutely wonderful.

Not even Elvis could have done it better!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:38 am

Doc,

What gives you the feeling this is a possibility? Have you heard rumours before? Did you attend any shows at that Tahoe Stand?

Andrew

Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:58 am

Re-read my post. The answers are self-evident.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:15 pm

This is a beautiful song. I love Roger Miller's version (and almost everything else he ever recorded).
And I think it would have been just perfect for Presley.

David Alan Coe's ranch is called 'My Elusive Dreams'.

CR

Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:19 pm

Dr. John:

What's your opinion on Charlie Rich? I think his '70s work is FANTASTIC. I have almost all of those albums (on vinyl) and I love every one of them. Charlie Rich is really underrated. He is, in my opinion, one of the best ballad singers ever.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:00 pm

Hey Keith, you got good taste boy, Charlie Rich was a fantastic artist, one of my favorites. I wish they would get some of his albums out, on CD. I remember listening to a track called "Ten Dollars and a Clean White Shirt". Great record, I also love his Hank Williams tribute album.

KEEP ON ROCKIN'

Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:26 pm

Hi,

OW!! I know the date of "My elusive dreams" now.
I keep a listing of all one liners and excerpts that I have found through the years. The list is over 300 titles long. Statistically ONE in every TWO shows contains a one liner or excerpt (based on over 600 shows I have on CD).
I´ve compiled four CDs (as some people on this board know) with all these one liners.

And I recognise the line "I follow you to Utah". Someone gave me that as title for the one liner in Tahoe.

But now I know that it is from this song. Great!

The right date, which you want to know is:
Lake Tahoe May 4th 1976

The excerpt really is just one line. From the top of my head, it´s around Amen and Love me. Elvis sort of sings: "I follow you to Utah." And then in a question type of way asks: "Utah?"

Give me your email address and I´ll mp3 that small piece of the show and send it to you via email.

PS: the listing of the four CDs of one liners and excerpts can be found in the DVD section ofmy page under the heading: rare live excerpts.
at: http://huizen.dds.nl/~evdmeer/homepage.html

Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:32 pm

:lol: Hi Merry 77 It was ME who gave you that 1 liner and myself had been going around in circles for YEARS trying to think what that was a 1 liner from!? Great work ekenee! Now after more than 10 years I know when and where and how much of this song he sang THANKS AGAIN for a 100% excellent post! 8) :shock: :o

Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:35 pm

By the way,

May I invite people who are after one liners to have a look and listen on the "Win live CDs" on my homepage?

I myself am still trying to find out titles for about another 8 one liners that Elvis did. But I have no titles.
The one of Cincinatti 11 nov 71 is really bugging me tremendously. I WANT to know what title it is. As well as the excerpt of Tahoe 1974.

People that come up with titles that I can verify as correct will receive a CD copy of a live show by choice out of my collection.
People that can give me the verification to their own mentioned title or that of a title mentioned by someone else also receive a CD by choice.

look at:
http://huizen.dds.nl/~evdmeer/homepage.html
and click on Win live CDs in the middle of the page.

"I appreciate all help I can get!" (quote Elvis Jan 1973)

regards
Merijn

CR

Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:41 pm

Joe:

Yeah, I know. Just listen to those last notes of "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" -- totally unbelievable! I can see why Elvis liked Charlie so much. They had a lot in common.

Is Charlie's albums hard to find in America? A shame. In Sweden they are easily found (on vinyl, that is).

I like his '70's work the best. He really developed as a ballad singer during those years.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:02 pm

Keith, I live in UK not America, but Charlie's albums on CD are very limited here. I have "Behind Closed Doors" album, on CD, and a number of compilations. You can pick up is LPs (vinyl) at record fairs, and speciality shops etc.

I also love "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" great record.

But all his LPs should be available on CD, he was a Fantastic artist, songwriter and showman. I Love him, just like Elvis did.

KEEP ON ROCKIN'

Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:46 am

Keith -

Charlie Rich is one of the greats. It's so sad he's gone.

"Life Has Its Little Ups and Downs" would've been a superb song for Elvis.