Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What Elvis movies are still not released on DVD?

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:11 am

I know Elvis on Tour made it to Laserdisc as best(resolution) format so far. But not to dvd as far as I know. Anyone?

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:22 am

In The U.S., I think there are still 8 Elvis films that haven't yet seen the light of day on DVD.

These are for certain:

1)Kid Galahad
2)Kissin' Cousins
3)Tickle Me
4)Girl Happy
5)Live A Little, Love A Little
6)Stay Away, Joe
7)That's The Way It Is (Original)
8)Elvis On Tour

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:38 am

Thanks minkahed. Want you to know that TTWII(original) was released on DVD in 1997(MGM).

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:47 am

JLGB wrote:Thanks minkahed. Want you to know that TTWII(original) was released on DVD in 1997(MGM).

Yes sir, That's correct and I totally forgot about it :!: :oops:

A damn shame the original hasn't been re-released in remastered sound and pic...

Maybe someday when I turn 65... :(

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:05 am

It would not be too far fetched to think that all of the original film(TTWII) was remastered (with exception of talking heads etc.) before the final edit of the 2000 version.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:31 am

JLGB wrote:It would not be too far fetched to think that all of the original film(TTWII) was remastered (with exception of talking heads etc.) before the final edit of the 2000 version.

again, not too far fetched, yes, I agree, but still, my point was/is not re-released in remastered sound and pic as of yet...
Last edited by minkahed on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:02 am

minkahed wrote:
again, not too far fetched, yes, I agree, but my still, my point was/is not re-released in remastered sound and pic as of yet...
Oops!(Did not add) Since the restoration was probably done it should not take too much effort to re-package and re-release it hopefully soon. :wink:

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:24 am

I would also count in: CHARRO !!
It was / is out BUT not in good quality! This needs / deserves a far better quality on DVD.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:27 am

"This is Elvis " has also not been put out on DVD.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:34 am

Yes, This Is Elvis could be considered movie #34 since he stars in it. Although it had silly at times fake Elvis dialogue. Two versions of this film exist. Theatrical and home video release(laserdisc also). I saw the theatrical version on cinemax with the dialogue of the girl giving great x etc.Plus the face buried in the x from the car scene. Also the theatrical version has extra footage from upstairs at Graceland. Or is it the other way around? Those guys from This Is Elvis(Leo and Solt) had lots of outtakes from the movies and both concert films. Not to mention all the TV special outtakes and camera angles from Aloha show. The outtakes of This Is Elvis must be a goldmine.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Andy-M wrote:I would also count in: CHARRO !!
It was / is out BUT not in good quality! This needs / deserves a far better quality on DVD.
I remember Charro hard to find on VHS because it was pulled and then it was re-released some time later. Not very good quality either.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:08 pm

minkahed wrote:In The U.S., I think there are still 8 Elvis films that haven't yet seen the light of day on DVD.

These are for certain:

1)Kid Galahad
2)Kissin' Cousins
3)Tickle Me
4)Girl Happy
5)Live A Little, Love A Little
6)Stay Away, Joe
7)That's The Way It Is (Original)
8)Elvis On Tour

Kid galahad was released 2-3 years ago in europe and has great picture quality.....its even anamorphic,not many elvis dvd releases are.
In europe we are missing the Follow that dream dvd but the picture is in 4:3 letterbox and the quality is crap compared to kid galahad.Unbelivable that these 2 movies comes from the same company.........

Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:59 pm

KingElvis,

Can you explain what anamorphic means ?

We also lack Love Me Tender-the color version.I managed to get hold of Jailhouse Rock(Le Rock du bagne)-the color version and Tickle Me,both with stunning sleeves.

I also saw Kissin' Cousins on dvd,but it was lacking two of the songs from the movie,so it's irrelevant for most fans.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:45 pm

splanky wrote:KingElvis,

Can you explain what anamorphic means ?

We also lack Love Me Tender-the color version.I managed to get hold of Jailhouse Rock(Le Rock du bagne)-the color version and Tickle Me,both with stunning sleeves.

I also saw Kissin' Cousins on dvd,but it was lacking two of the songs from the movie,so it's irrelevant for most fans.

english is not my main language so its a little difficult to explain.
anamorphic mastered dvds is important for us with a widescreen tv as the black bars on bottom/top screen is gone or at least much smaller.
Im sure someone else will explain this better.

As for the dvd titles you are mentioning they are all unofficial/bootleg/homemade releases.Im sure some of them is good though.Color versions of the mentioned movies will probably never be released officially on dvd in Us/europe.....a small chance in asia perhaps.
Have on tour taken from laserdisc on dvd,its good but pales compared to any official dvds with any OT footage on it

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:55 pm

Anamorphic or enhanced 16:9 DVDs(show film close to original format) are specifically made for widescreen or 16:9 TVs or projectors without losing the resolution it would by stretching the video to fit the TV set or projection system.Not to be confused with widescreen letterbox which is 4:3 cropped with black bars on top and bottom(although frame is almost complete). If you play the the enhanced or anamorphic DVD on a 4:3(standard) format a circle will look oval. I hope this helps a little. I have never heard of Love Me Tender being colorized but Jaihouse Rock was and I do not recommend it since it is and looks fake.It would be a crime to colorize King Creole which was shot in beautiful black and white. My opinion.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:38 pm

JLGB ,
I have to agree with you on the matter of King Creole.It's a Film Noir which means it should remain in black/white,because of the mood and theme of the story in it.It's a masterpiece as it is.The individual songs from it,if used in another context,could be colorized.But in that case the picture quality would be less sharp.It's of course a matter of taste,but for songs performed "live" I think most people would think it's a gain.

I have the colorized Love Me Tender on a VCD from Japan and I think it is tastefully done and doesn't take anything away from the film.I have seen the original at least 20 times since 1960,and I actually enjoyed watching the color version.Only negative thing about this copy of the film is that there are Japanese sub-titles in it,and my Japanese is slightly rusty for the time being as I can't understand a single sign/letter.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:30 am

Thanks splanky. I agree with out of context tampering if done tastefully like music videos. In the 80s I remember Elvis doing(on MTV) Baby I Don't Care (re-recorded backing) and Elvis' lip sync was even put together better with the music than on the original movie! Great :)

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:54 am

JLGB wrote:Thanks splanky. I agree with out of context tampering if done tastefully like music videos. In the 80s I remember Elvis doing(on MTV) Baby I Don't Care (re-recorded backing) and Elvis' lip sync was even put together better with the music than on the original movie! Great :)

Yes, I remember vividly Mtv used to play the Elvis videos of Baby I Don't Care and Blue Suede Shoes quite often back in the day, at least here in the States.

From what I understand, those videos were highly requested and popular.

What happened :?:

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:03 am

Good question. It would be nice to have a DVD with all the MTV type videos from the 80s up to the most recent.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:26 am

splanky::: That copy of Love Me Tender you have in brilliant color is from Hong Kong and those subtitles are in Chinese and NOT Japanese. It is an official 20th Century Fox release in Asia only.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:56 am

It would be interesting to see, but I still
view "colorized" versions of black-and-white
movies with some suspicion for a number of
reasons not foreign to film buffs. I guess
for the completists among us, it's something
to check out.

Mink is right: MTV (and sister channel VH-1)
played the hell out of "Baby I Don't Care"
in the '80s. I think because it was almost
a video "out of the box", they found it easy to
run. Still, I often preferred if they had played
the title track instead or any number
of other movie songs with "video"-like footage.

"Baby I Don't Care" had a certain lightweight
way about it. I remember a friend who didn't like Elvis
judging him way too much from that one video. Just
roll tape of his '50s TV shows (etc.)and you'll make
converts.

Mink, I recently picked up the now-pricey 1997 version of the original
TTWII DVD. It's well worth it!

On the subject at hand, I recently viewed DVD-Rs of
TICKLE ME and GIRL HAPPY which were dubbed from TCM's
broadcast of the full original (letterbox) versions. I likewise
screened the DVD-R of Elvis On Tour taken from the laserdisc.
Good to have! It all looks and sounds great! A 2005 official
release will top all of it.

I'd love to see all of his movies see official DVD release,
along with any missing footage, etc.!

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:12 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Mink is right: MTV (and sister channel VH-1)
played the hell out of "Baby I Don't Care"
in the '80s. I think because it was almost
a video "out of the box", they found it easy to
run. Still, I often preferred if they had played
the title track instead or any number
of other movie songs with "video"-like footage.

"Baby I Don't Care" was not just picked out of the movie.It was the song plugging the album I WAS THE ONE which did not have "Jaihouse Rock" in it. The clip was used from the movie with the "new" sound. So it was an authentic video promo.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:16 am

That's good to know. I bought I WAS THE ONE album at the time
and didn't quite make the connection, unless I just forgot it.

Still, the title track of the movie would have been better to run into the ground, given that in years to follow, getting any Elvis on the air proved
difficult.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:47 pm

Thanks for the informtion,CD King.You see how much I need to brush up my Japanese.I didn't even know it was from China /Hong Kong.So the sub-titles were in Mandarin,or am I mistaken ??
You are quite right,the colours are really brilliant and the picture quality is quite sharp.

An interesting aside,this summer on my travels in Europe I saw a short documentary on a dvd which had a long bonus section containing among rare videos three of the songs from Love Me Tender in colour.I'm amazed at how much material which is out there and nobody seems to know about it.Where the heck is Elvis Presley Enterprises ?Shouldn't they make sure that all this material would be available for the steadfast Elvis fans all over the world,even though they have not been clever enough to secure the right to a lot of the existing material ??
EPE surely should work to get their priorities right after all these years.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:57 pm

I guess EPE has to clean up their own backyard first. :)