Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Hi

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:52 am

I have said this before and I think that Elvis was confused with the Dutch ''Elvis'', Pim Maas, who went to visit Elvis in Germany. It must have been all the same to Elvis, England, Holland, what's in a name? :wink:

Re: Hi

Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:54 am

Simon1 wrote:I have said this before and I think that Elvis was confused with the Dutch ''Elvis'', Pim Maas, who went to visit Elvis in Germany. It must have been all the same to Elvis, England, Holland, what's in a name? :wink:

I had a Pim Maas record once - Man, it sunk real bad.

I LOVE David Sutch. That dude was great.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:29 am

According to Cliff Richard he never met Elvis.
There are photo's of Elvis with Pim Maas and his parents taken in Germany.
This shows artists and their entourage not always remember facts as they happened.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:32 am

The logical answer is that Screaming Lord Idiot is just a liar :D

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:55 am

KiwiAlan wrote:The logical answer is that Screaming Lord Idiot is just a liar :D

Just check the transcripts of the '69 Vegas press conference, Kiwi. Then you'll see for yourself it's what Elvis said. So are you saying that Elvis was lying as well? It's obvious to me that he simply got Cliff mixed up with someone else. Big deal.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:33 am

Tits McGhee wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:The logical answer is that Screaming Lord Idiot is just a liar :D

Just check the transcripts of the '69 Vegas press conference, Kiwi. Then you'll see for yourself it's what Elvis said. So are you saying that Elvis was lying as well? It's obvious to me that he simply got Cliff mixed up with someone else. Big deal.

Well if Elvis did say that...then he was lying...whether or not he mixed Cliff up with someone else :D

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:07 am

There's home movie footage of Cliff knocking on Elvis' door in Germany, but Elvis wasn't home and they didn't meet. If you want the footage, ask Colin. He's a huge Cliff fan, so probably has it :lol:

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:52 am

This article and account of the 1969 opening night and press conference is the best I have read on this event. A simply fantastic article.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:16 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
Tits McGhee wrote:

Well if Elvis did say that...then he was lying...whether or not he mixed Cliff up with someone else :D

No - Elvis was not lying. To lie is to speak untruthfully with intent to mislead or deceive. I'm sure Elvis just made a mistake.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:16 am

I seem to recall an interview where Cliff said he had the opportunity to meet Elvis in the mid 70's but turned it down. Apparently Bruce Springsteen and Suzi Quattro also turned down opportunities to meet him. I wonder how many other celebrities turned down the chance to meet Elvis for whatever reason?

Elvis meet Cliff?

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:35 am

One thing seems for sure: Elvis probably heard Cliff's recording of "Apron Strings" since he covered it on one of his home recordings in Germany.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:02 am

TJ wrote:There's home movie footage of Cliff knocking on Elvis' door in Germany, but Elvis wasn't home and they didn't meet. If you want the footage, ask Colin. He's a huge Cliff fan, so probably has it :lol:

What people don't know is that Elvis WAS at home that day but when he peeped through the curtains and saw it was Cliff he pretended he wasn't in! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 am

Delboy wrote:I seem to recall an interview where Cliff said he had the opportunity to meet Elvis in the mid 70's but turned it down. Apparently Bruce Springsteen and Suzi Quattro also turned down opportunities to meet him. I wonder how many other celebrities turned down the chance to meet Elvis for whatever reason?

and more to the point, do you believe them? who in hier right minds would turn down a meeting with Elvis?

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:01 pm

rotis -

You wrote:
One thing seems for sure: Elvis probably heard Cliff's recording of "Apron Strings" since he covered it on one of his home recordings in Germany.

Not so.

The song's composer [or publisher] sent a demo of it to each of them.

It's very doubtful Elvis was even aware of the UK release.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:58 pm

Delboy wrote:I seem to recall an interview where Cliff said he had the opportunity to meet Elvis in the mid 70's but turned it down. Apparently Bruce Springsteen and Suzi Quattro also turned down opportunities to meet him. I wonder how many other celebrities turned down the chance to meet Elvis for whatever reason?

You recall correctly Delboy. When first commenting on this, Cliff said he turned down the meeting because Elvis was going through his "fat period" and he didn't want to meet him looking like that. I held that inane comment against him for years, but admittedly he does take every opportunity to praise Elvis these days.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:38 pm

TJ -

You wrote:
I held that inane comment against him for years

Not to mention his unquestioning acceptance of every page in that Goldman book !

He said he felt ashamed to have been an Elvis fan after reading it.

What a plonker !

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:42 pm

ColinB wrote:TJ -

You wrote:
I held that inane comment against him for years

Not to mention his unquestioning acceptance of every page in that Goldman book !

He said he felt ashamed to have been an Elvis fan after reading it.

What a plonker !

Yes it was a ridiculous reaction to the book, but seemingly short lived as he never seems to miss an opportunity to say Elvis is his hero now.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:18 pm

TJ -

You wrote:
If you want the footage, ask Colin. He's a huge Cliff fan, so probably has it

Enough of the jokes.

People are PM-ing me about this !

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:06 am

ColinB wrote:TJ -

You wrote:
If you want the footage, ask Colin. He's a huge Cliff fan, so probably has it

Enough of the jokes.

People are PM-ing me about this !

:lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:12 pm

TJ wrote:

You recall correctly Delboy. When first commenting on this, Cliff said he turned down the meeting because Elvis was going through his "fat period" and he didn't want to meet him looking like that. I held that inane comment against him for years, but admittedly he does take every opportunity to praise Elvis these days.

That was pretty shallow if you ask me, fortunately Cliff has since realized that. Just to add to this a bit, Geraldo Rivera met EP during Elvis' infamous Madison Square Garden interview in 1972 and was somewhat disappointed by how EP was dressed, the blue outfit, cape and all of the bling he had on, (my words not his). He was hoping he would be dressed in blue jeans, thinking about Loving You perhaps. Didn't he realize that Elvis never wore jeans and was always impeccably dressed, even in the fifties. Elvis was also 37 and not 22. Elvis was a hero to so many famous people.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:27 pm

Cliff and the Shadows made another attempt to visit Elvis in the early 60's when they were promoting of one of thier films in the US. They made a visit to Graceland but again Elvis wasn't in at the time.

Vernon Presley gave CLiff and the shads a tour of Graceland. Cliff said there was a big rug with Elvis face on it and he was afraid of stepping on it.

Elvis had Cliffs Livin' Doll in his record collection (which had Apron Strings as a b-side) - if you read ALbert Hands report of meeting Elvis you'll see reference to CLiff - Elvis asked how he was doing in the UK and said he was sorry he was out when CLiff tired to meet him. When Elvis was asked that question in '69 he was put on the spot and at a guess he probably got a little mixed up with his answer.

Someone offered Cliff a chance to meet Elvis in 1976 when he was promoting the 'I'm Nearly Famous' album in the states - there was nothing definite about the meeting - it hadn't gone through Elvis. Having been disappointed before he didn't want to be disappointed again.

He'd heard Elvis was out of shape at the time ( which is true) and said he didn't want to be photographed with his idol not looking his best. He said in an interview that he reasoned Elvis always got him self in shape when he was making films and would do the same again and thought they'd meet some other time. He admits he was a fool now - with hindsight. Suzi Quatro had a chance to meet ELvis and turned it down and unlike Cliff - that was an offer from ELvis himself.

I think it was more lame of Cliff to believe the 'ELvis image' than What Happened the Bodyguard book that changed his perception of the man but thats easy to say as a post hunous fan whos grown up with the dirt and has learnt to read between the lines and accept some truths.

I've not heard him talking about the Goldman book but some of his utterances about Elvis the man probably lost him a few fickle fans in the 80's. He pays tribute to ELvis at every opputunity and often sings his songs in concert so I don't see why anyone should resent him for years and spread thier own hate. Sounds kinda pathetic.

Does anyone hate John Lennon for saying ELvis died when he joined the Army ( after Elvis had just died for real) . That was pretty cold but it doesn't stop anyone appreciating other things Lennon did or said even.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:32 pm

I don't dislike Cliff at all and understand that E-What Happened and Goldmans book really did a number on our guy. Fortunately things for the most part have turned around.