Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

UCLA denied Elvis admission ?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:36 pm

What's the truth to the story:

in the 1960s Elvis wanted to further his education and take courses at UCLA (he being in California so much for long stretches of time)

But UCLA denied him admission

citing he would be too much of a disruption and distraction and circus

- If so true, that's a damn shame.

Is that even fair or legal?

Too famous to go to college

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:58 pm

If true that is the first I had ever heard this one.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:13 pm

Hey...

If they let Tommy Lee go to college, why not ELVIS :?: :?: :?:

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:28 pm

Better yet Gene Simmons teaching kids to rock!

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:18 am

This was mentioned in a televised documentary I saw.
E! channel's ELVIS IN HOLLYWOOD
It's been a long while since I saw it, but with all the inter-cut quotes and soundbites, it was mentioned briefly by either a Memphis Mafia or a co-star.

Elvis was so bored out in L.A, he decided he wanted to go to college.

But no can do.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:42 am

well, let's see...

of all the years I've read and learned about Elvis, he was a party kinda guy, who liked to chase women, pop lots a pills and do what Elvis wanted, how he wanted, when he wanted...

If Elvis ever did say he wanted to go to college, whatever meds he took that day musta been a good trip :!:

yeh, I could see Elvis sittin' in a classroom... :shock:

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:06 am

minkahed wrote:

well, let's see...

of all the years I've read and learned about Elvis, he was a party kinda guy, who liked to chase women, pop lots a pills and do what Elvis wanted, how he wanted, when he wanted...

If Elvis ever did say he wanted to go to college, whatever meds he took that day musta been a good trip :!:

yeh, I could see Elvis sittin' in a classroom... :shock:

The attempt to attend UCLA was in the early 60s, freshly post-army.

1960-61?

maybe because he couldn't further his education, he opted instead to pop all those pills and stave off boredom with parties,
instead of classes.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:40 am

This story has to be pure invention!

Consider that he was only in California while he was working on movies.

Consider that starting hours were very early in the morning followed by a long day.

When would he possibly have time to attend classes?

If Elvis ever did consider going to a University then his sense of loyalty would have picked a Memphis one.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:49 am

I´ve never heard about it..

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:11 am

What were these classes to be exact? Perhaps medicene? Or law? Or business management? ????

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:58 pm

Jth wrote:What were these classes to be exact? Perhaps medicene? Or law? Or business management? ????

I don't know. THAT wasn't discussed on the documentary.

We need to ask the Memphis Mafia, those guys who had their heads up Elvis' butt 24/7 and leeched off him daily & nightly, and went everywhere he went.

Somebody THERE knows more details.

Elvis wanting to take college courses in 1960 makes sense,
would've improved his self-esteem in many ways that wealth can't.

Re: UCLA denied Elvis admission ?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:44 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:What's the truth to the story ...

None, whatsover.

It's about as truthful a notion as stating Elvis was a racist, or "Night Rider" was really a song extolling the virtues of the KKK.

DJC

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:10 am

This story is mentioned in Fred L. Worth's and Steve Tamerius' All About Elvis. However, the information is not sourced. However, if true it most likely would have been mentioned in the Guralnick books.

I don't see what's so unlikely about it. I am surprised that even on this board we sometimes a paint a portrait of the idiot savant, the real life Beverly Hillbilly. The facts of Elvis' life contradict that picture. This was a very intelligent man who in the mid-60s was looking for meaning in his life. Also, he was also very insecure about his lack of formal education. It does not seem unreasonable to me that he would seek some structured education rather than picking things up in dribs and drabs on his own. Also, 10- 12 weeks is generally enough to audit a course, which is what Elvis most likely would have done. He did not have to pursue a degree. He could have taken courses in history, or philosophy or religion or literature. Lots of people do this stuff with no intent on getting a job in a certain field but to broaden their horizons. It would have been great for Elvis to have some stimulating conversations with people about topics that interested him.

It could be something that has been missed because frankly most researchers are not interested in Elvis' quest for education. And the bodyguards or people who would know are probably not going to talk about it unless somebody asks them.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:35 am

Thank you Likethebike

and like I said, it has been discussed briefly in a tv documentary.

Who said it on camera escapes me -

it was either in an E! True Hollywood Story
or the 50th Anniversary special by Passport Video.

But I'll update this thread when I track down the clip.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:49 pm

likethebike wrote:...I don't see what's so unlikely about it...he was also very insecure about his lack of formal education. It does not seem unreasonable to me that he would seek some structured education rather than picking things up in dribs and drabs on his own...

But Elvis himself said, when asked whether he might take acting classes that, although it wouldn't hurt him to go to school, he would learn better hands-on. It always seemed to me that he preferred being self-taught in whatever venture he pursued.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:55 pm

likethebike wrote:This story is mentioned in Fred L. Worth's and Steve Tamerius' All About Elvis. However, the information is not sourced. However, if true it most likely would have been mentioned in the Guralnick books.

I don't see what's so unlikely about it. I am surprised that even on this board we sometimes a paint a portrait of the idiot savant, the real life Beverly Hillbilly. The facts of Elvis' life contradict that picture.

The book cited -- although fun -- contains many errors of fact.

What's unlikely is not that Elvis was lacking in intelligence, but that -- in the past 45 years -- no one close to him ever mentioned such a significant event.

In addition, author Guralnick seized on anything that broke away from preconceived notions about who Elvis was -- especially in "Careless Love" -- and the omission of any UCLA ambitions indicates that it was highly unlikely this happened.

As I said.

DJC

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:09 pm

Why would someone who knew Elvis go on camera in a documentary and say "UCLA denied Elvis admission because he would disrupt the campus" if it wasn't true.

Doc you should turn off your computer and go view some recent-produced Elvis programs.

Update your precious Elvis Expert database.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:19 am

You would need rocks in your head to beleive everything that E! channel presented. It is the TV version of a tabloid. Junk.

Why would someone go on TV and lie? Well it got him on TV didn't it :D

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm

minkahed wrote:

well, let's see...

Partying. Popping pills. Chasing women. Tripping out. Doing his own thing. Sounds to me Mink like Elvis would've fit in perfectly with the 60's college scene! :lol:

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:10 pm

Pete -

You wrote:
Partying. Popping pills. Chasing women. Tripping out. Doing his own thing.

So you've been to one of Sam's bashes, have you ?

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:21 pm

ColinB wrote:Pete -

You wrote:
Partying. Popping pills. Chasing women. Tripping out. Doing his own thing.

So you've been to one of Sam's bashes, have you ?

Colin -
Yes, in my wild younger days I attended one of Sam's parties. Only trouble is, after all the partying and pill-popping, when I went to chase the women I tripped and knocked myself out. We'd best not get into the 'do my own thing' part. :oops:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:52 am

That Lloyd Shearer interview from 17/8/62 in Hollywood gives me the feeling Elvis was concerned what the public thought of his general intellect hence the comments along the lines of "I wanted to go to university/college" and "I read the Physicians Desk Reference".