Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Vegas Fight 1973 !!!!!

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:24 pm

Can anyone help me????????

Just want to know what Bootleg is available with this fight Elvis and the boys had in 1973 on stage with a couple of guys from out front??

Cheers.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:40 pm

Fight Night and I'll Whoop His Ass are 2 of the CDRS that contain thst fight.

Francesc

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:25 pm

Is this available online in mp3 or some other audio format???
I have never totally heard this story about the fight (my guess is that it was very brief???)

Thanks
Jon

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:35 pm

Whoop His Ass is available as a Silver Disc in digipak cover (teenager Label I think), and also includes Sonny West telling the full story years later at a fan club convention. Worth looking out for on eBay.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:15 am

(deleted - see guidelines #9) wrote:There is also amature 8mm footage of this show, unfortunately the camera is suddenly dropped to the floor the moment the fight begins.

(deleted - see guidelines #9)

I have never heard about this 8mm footage... Is the quality good ???

What a pity the camera dropped to the floor.. I wanted to see Elvis kicking their @$$ !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:35 pm

Judging from the Sonny story on Whoop his Ass, Elvis does not really get involved in the "fight", but goes through some karate moves away from the action. Once the trouble is over, he comes centre stage and talks about "whooping ass".

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:15 pm

Why should he get involved? That's what he was paying Sonny West to do.

I sure wouldn't take everything he says to heart. He has been known to fabricate a story or two in his time.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:21 pm

I too would be very surprised if Elvis was allowed to be involved - as you say he had many paid goons to do that sort of stuff!!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:50 pm

I've read that Elvis did hit a guy trying to climb onto the stage. He hit the guy in the chest with a stiff-arm strike and the guy fell back onto a table. After which, Elvis was ballistic with anger and was restrained by some of the guys. That's the version I've read.

Given Elvis' temper, and that in his youth and the Sun/early RCA period he wasn't slow to swing, I find this credible.

Elvis' friend during his teens, Buzzy Forbess, has said that he didn't understand the 'Elvis was a mama's boy' bit. He said that the Elvis he new was a scrapper. Buzzy said that Elvis never started fights, but that he (Buzzy) never saw him lose one.

A few years back I read in a magazine a story by Sam Phillips. Sam said that he'd never seen a stronger man than Elvis when he was angry. Sam then related an incident he witnessed where he and Elvis were leaving a place (I think it was the Peacock) and a guy started to heckle Elvis in the parking lot. Sam said Elvis tried to brush it off, but the guy wouldn't quit and Elvis' temper flared. Sam said Elvis had the guy down in seconds.

I also read another story, told by Scotty I believe, that Elvis was at the top of a flight of stairs talking to a young woman, when her husband or boyfriend, a good-sized soldier, came onto the scene and hit Elvis, knocking him down the flight of stairs. Scotty thought Elvis must have broken something in the fall, but when he hit the bottom he sprang up - with rage in his eyes! Scotty said Elvis rushed back up the stairs and proceeded to beat the stuffing out of the guy.

The version of the '73 fight that has Elvis doing nothing but striking karate poses sounds like something out of Goldman.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:06 pm

I had heard that Elvis connected with one guy with a wild round house kick that knocked the guy from the stage. Then Elvis had to be held back from chasing after them. Afterwards Elvis was convinced that Mike Stone was behind the attack and that was the reason he looked into putting a hit out on Mike Stone.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:17 pm

By all accounts even before karate, EP could take care of himself. Heck, even by watching the staged fight scene from Loving You in the diner, you can see he knew how to throw a punch. Pete, thanks for sharing some of his "fight" stories with us. Naturally Goldman's version made EP look bad, what an a--hole he really was.

Fight Night Dialogue

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:34 pm

The aggro started long before the scuffle... You can hear male voices shouting out on the cd (for Bridge Over Troubled Water apparently) and during the first few bars of Fever you hear Elvis say something like "I pick my own songs". Then after Suspicious Minds during what would have been the group intros the crowd gets really noisy and you hear people (mainly the women) shouting and screaming... this goes on for a couple of minutes and all the while the band play the music you hear on On Tour, Aloha and countless gigs when he normally introduces the band! Then you hear applause and it goes a bit quieter... Elvis then says "I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen... I'm sorry I didn't break his goddamned neck! If he wants to shake my hand, fine, but if he wants to get tough I'll whoop his ass!!!"

The audience recording I have (Fight Night) runs a little fast, but it has to be said that Elvis sounds like he did in King Creole or Jailhouse Rock when he says these words - loads of attitude!