Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

People behind Fort Baxter, Bilko, Madison etc

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:43 am

The big import releases from Baxter, Bilko, Madison and so on are obviously made by the same people, because the label names are always movie characters or names that can be brought into a direct context.

But my question is: Who is behind this, and how does this person get the CDs to the sellers in the first place?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:07 am

I know who's behind these labels. But you'll understand those people want to stay anonymous.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:11 am

Most people believe it's a handful of hardcore fans from around the world, not a single person. In much the same way the Beatles fans had their most awesome bootlegs come from far-flung labels like Yellow Dog or VigOtone.

With the advent of BMG's Follow That Dream, the need for bootleg Presley releases has been greatly diminished. Ultimately, the fans are the ones who win, big time!

DJC

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:13 am

If anyone knows, do you really expect them to say on a public forum? :shock: :)

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:55 am

My need for bootlegs hasnt become lesser just because of FTD. The labels mentioned like Baxter, Bilko, Madison are quality labels. Maybe the need for audience recordings has gone. Even FTD has released titles wich make you think, '' is this what ive waiting for ''?

Even with the birth of FTD, the bootlegs are still coming.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:05 pm

Can you guve any behind the scenes details without giving any specifics away ie - how do the recordings come to these people and how do they press and distribute their product - this shoulkd be possible without giving out names and places.

Please?! :D

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:42 pm

We can give you all of the information that you are asking for. However, upon hearing it, you'll have to be put to death and your house and all of your belongings will be burned.

We can't have anyone blabbing our sources and how we finance these CD's.

The choice is yours. Let me know if you still want this information.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:58 pm

The information will self destruct after reading it.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:48 pm

My need for them releases is bigger than knowing who they are.

I just have one thing to say to them: THANK YOU

Leaks

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:00 pm

There was a similar posting a few months back and I stated my belief that someone sneaked out copies of soundboards and studio out-takes whilst Ernst and Roger weren't looking when the vaults were being plundered and catalogued in the late 80's/early 90's. I hinted that it wasn't long after studio and live out-takes started to appear on Collector's Gold etc that Bilko, DAE, Fort Baxter etc started to offer quality product... I was PM'd to say I was bang on with my theory.

I believe that the TTWII and On Tour footage that has escaped recently is because of the same reason. Afterall, the vaults would have been opened to obtain footage for Elvis By The Presleys...

Re: Leaks

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:15 pm

Mark Nicholson wrote:There was a similar posting a few months back and I stated my belief that someone sneaked out copies of soundboards and studio out-takes whilst Ernst and Roger weren't looking when the vaults were being plundered and catalogued in the late 80's/early 90's. I hinted that it wasn't long after studio and live out-takes started to appear on Collector's Gold etc that Bilko, DAE, Fort Baxter etc started to offer quality product... I was PM'd to say I was bang on with my theory.

I believe that the TTWII and On Tour footage that has escaped recently is because of the same reason. Afterall, the vaults would have been opened to obtain footage for Elvis By The Presleys...

Ive heard the same thing,even a name was mentioned.......
Regarding TTWII and OT outtakes...heard that they was leaked during the work on TTWII-SE in 2000.Sounds resonable.

Re: People behind Fort Baxter, Bilko, Madison etc

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:26 pm

Thomas wrote:The big import releases from Baxter, Bilko, Madison and so on are obviously made by the same people, because the label names are always movie characters or names that can be brought into a direct context.

But my question is: Who is behind this, and how does this person get the CDs to the sellers in the first place?

Joe, Pete, John, Bill, Charlie, Mike and Al, although they all will deny any involvement.
Distribution is done by the Dalton Brothers, although they claim they only distribute illegal whiskey.

Now can we have information about who you are?

Re: People behind Fort Baxter, Bilko, Madison etc

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:00 pm

Luuk wrote:
Thomas wrote:The big import releases from Baxter, Bilko, Madison and so on are obviously made by the same people, because the label names are always movie characters or names that can be brought into a direct context.

Joe, Pete, John, Bill, Charlie, Mike and Al, although they all will deny any involvement.
Distribution is done by the Dalton Brothers, although they claim they only distribute illegal whiskey.

Now can we have information about who you are?

I thought the Dukes were the only ones who distribute whiskey........

Re: Leaks

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:06 pm

Mark Nicholson wrote:There was a similar posting a few months back and I stated my belief that someone sneaked out copies of soundboards and studio out-takes whilst Ernst and Roger weren't looking when the vaults were being plundered and catalogued in the late 80's/early 90's. I hinted that it wasn't long after studio and live out-takes started to appear on Collector's Gold etc that Bilko, DAE, Fort Baxter etc started to offer quality product... I was PM'd to say I was bang on with my theory.

I do not think the vaults were opened to obtain that footage because the video quality of the TTWII was inferior to the special edition release.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:09 pm

May I recomend You this book: Bootleg: The Secret History Of The Other Recording Industry by Clinton Heylin.
A fascination jorney to the underground industry. Many fascinating stories about "the basemente tapes", great white wonder and Elvis burbank LPs. Fascinating.

TCB,

Sergio Luiz

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:12 pm

Or Jailhouse Rock by Lee Cotten and Howard A. Dewitt.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:35 am

Rob wrote:
We can't have anyone blabbing our sources and how we finance these CD's.

Hmm, "our" & "we"? Vedy interestink! :wink:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:36 pm

I think it is not so strange that a lot of tapes have escaped from the RCA vaults over the years. Just look at the way RCA treated Elvis' recordings!.

1) A lot of tapes were destroyed or recorder over in the 50's... What genius came up with that plan?!?!

2) As we now know even the highly respected Joan Deary took stuff home with her since tapes have been found in her home after she passed away.

3) The original soundengineers taped many performances and have been cashing in since the early 90's.

4) When Ernst first entered the vaults in Indianapolis he saw a bunch of tapes being swept up a pile in a corner with the broom still standing in front of the pile of tapes. Among the tapes were original session tapes of King Creole...

No wonder a lot of stuff has escaped and RCA should only blame themselves for it. Ernst did his job by protecting the goodies and come up with the Collectors Label. As we know see, the amount of bootleg releases have dropped dramatically during the last years and I think that the well of tapes has dryed up by now as no real new releases have come to light for some time besides the ocassional soundboard or audience recording. Sad for us fans but good news for RCA.

I think that it is not rellevant to as whom are behind the several labels. As a fan I am thankfull that those people were around to bring us some exciting stuff even though it was illegal to do so. However there is a bootleg market on every artist so Elvis is not an exception.