Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Evel Knievel Mentions Elvis

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:48 pm

A few days ago, I managed to catch some moments of a show about famed motorcyle stunt driver Evel Knievel. During the show, there was a segment about Knievel where he talked about the time he beat up a promotor. He said, "that guy was a judas, just like the guys that wrote that book about Elvis Presley."

I take it that Evel was a fan of Elvis' and that he has no love for the m.m.

Any thoughts????

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:41 pm

Any idea if that was a current interview? If it's the program I'm thinking of, it looked fairly recent. My guess is that Evel, if not a big fan, probably had a fair working knowledge of Elvis.

I remember thinking as a kid how much Evel's suits resembled those of Elvis. Could not have been coincidence.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:54 pm

Yes it was like an American Eagle jumpsuit(with high collar) he used to jump all those busses with his bike. :)

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:23 pm

EagleUSA wrote:Any idea if that was a current interview? If it's the program I'm thinking of, it looked fairly recent. My guess is that Evel, if not a big fan, probably had a fair working knowledge of Elvis.

Could it have been the recent "Absolute Evel" television show? It's out on DVD now.

EagleUSA wrote:I remember thinking as a kid how much Evel's suits resembled those of Elvis. Could not have been coincidence.

I agree....I've often wondered if Evel didn't get the inspiration behind his jumpsuits from Elvis. I wonder if anyone has ever asked him about this???

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:41 pm

Tony, I believe that was the name of the show I caught (Abolute Evel).

I wonder if Evel ever attended any of Elvis' shows? You would think he would have at least seen him in Las Vegas.

I also recall reading in a book by Lee Cotton that Elvis planned on attending Evel's jump across the Snake River Canyon. Anyone know if he did?

Re: Evel Knievel Mentions Elvis

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:07 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:A few days ago, I managed to catch some moments of a show about famed motorcyle stunt driver Evel Knievel. During the show, there was a segment about Knievel where he talked about the time he beat up a promotor. He said, "that guy was a judas, just like the guys that wrote that book about Elvis Presley."

I take it that Evel was a fan of Elvis' and that he has no love for the m.m.

Any thoughts????

In the show I recently watched about Evel, he specifically mentioned Elvis & Liberace as inspirations. Cited their showmanship & entertaining abilities.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:25 pm

there were always rumors that Elvis attended the Snake Canyon river jump. Should be easy to determine since we pretty much have a log of Elvis day by day, all we need to do is find the date of the jump.

I saw it on closed circuit tv in Memphis.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:00 am

InMemphis wrote:there were always rumors that Elvis attended the Snake Canyon river jump. Should be easy to determine since we pretty much have a log of Elvis day by day, all we need to do is find the date of the jump.

I saw it on closed circuit tv in Memphis.

The date of the Snake River Canyon Jump was September 8, 1974.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:55 am

In the Evel biographical movie played by George Hamilton, Elvis was mentioned several times...I figured then, Elvis was his hero.

Was he at the the jump after all ? I remember the rumor....

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:05 am

"Sep 8th, 1974 [Sat]: Near Twin Falls, Idaho, Elvis was one of 30,000 spectators as daredevil Evel Knievel attempted to rocket across the canyon of the Snake River.

Knievel, age thirty-four, planned to launch himself in a privately-built rocket across the seventeen-hundred-foot-wide chasm.

Unfortunately, his drag-chute deployed as the rocket was speeding up the ramp and he missed his mark by a wide margin.

Other celebrities attending included John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman and the two sons of President Gerald Ford."

Lee Cotten - All Shook Up - Elvis Day-by-Day 1954-1977

Second Edition - 1998

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:25 am

ColinB wrote:"Sep 8th, 1974 [Sat]: Near Twin Falls, Idaho, Elvis was one of 30,000 spectators as daredevil Evel Knievel attempted to rocket across the canyon of the Snake River.

Knievel, age thirty-four, planned to launch himself in a privately-built rocket across the seventeen-hundred-foot-wide chasm.

Unfortunately, his drag-chute deployed as the rocket was speeding up the ramp and he missed his mark by a wide margin.

Other celebrities attending included John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman and the two sons of President Gerald Ford."

Lee Cotten - All Shook Up - Elvis Day-by-Day 1954-1977

Second Edition - 1998

Wow.....that's very interesting. Thanks for the info, Colin!

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:42 am

Ricky wrote:In the Evel biographical movie played by George Hamilton, Elvis was mentioned several times...I figured then, Elvis was his hero.

Was he at the the jump after all ? I remember the rumor....

In the movie, George Hamilton tries on his jumpsuit with the high collar, and he asks a blonde if the suit has the same collar as Elvis' jumpsuit.