Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rags to Riches

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:24 am

Does anyone know how many takes were recorded for Rags to Riches, which take the master was and how many versions have been released? I know that take 2 was on Nashville Marathon, but can't recall any others. I've heard that there were outtakes on the mid 70s bootleg 'Super Star Outtakes, Vol 1', but no idea how many or whether they have surfaced since.

Thanks

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:26 am

As well as take 2 on 'The Nashville Marathon', take 3 appeared on 'A Hundred Years From Now'

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:35 am

Take 4 plus a one word vocal repair. The word repair was from cuss(sounds like that) to kiss.The undubbed and unrepaired master came out in Vol.2 of the rough cut diamonds bootlegs(vinyl)and Pure Diamonds vol.2 CD . No fifth take.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:07 am

The master was a slpice of take 4 and one line of take 3.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:14 am

Thanks for your replies guys. Good job :)

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:56 am

Also the older RCA CD's like the Germ CD: The Collection Vol.4; or the BMG Japan CD: In Love with Elvis 20 Romantic Love Sings; incl. the Mastertake WITH Long Piano Intro. The newer BMG CD's have the edited Version.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:59 am

i think there was an out take on the silver box set. the thing that was different about it from the master was there was a longer piano intro

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:11 pm

JLGB wrote:No fifth take.

How do you know?

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Because Elvis was in such a hurry to leave the studio that he did not bother to finish the master and stopped recording after take 4. It was a good take with the exception of a word blunder. So Felton Jarvis and or his engineer edited the line where the mistake was and replaced it from the previous take 3.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:15 am

JLGB wrote:Because Elvis was in such a hurry to leave the studio that he did not bother to finish the master and stopped recording after take 4.

How do you know?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:41 am

Spellbinder wrote:
JLGB wrote:Because Elvis was in such a hurry to leave the studio that he did not bother to finish the master and stopped recording after take 4.

How do you know?
From research.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:01 am

JLGB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:

How do you know?
From research.

And your sources are ............ ?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:19 am

How 'bout Elvis: A Life In Music and/or Day By Day for one who is just starting to learn.

A good example would be you spellbinder. :wink:

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:29 am

a life in music is a must have book! i don't have it tho :lol: rented it from library 3 times al ready tho

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:47 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
JLGB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:

How do you know?
From research.

ELVIS PRESLEY: A LIFE IN MUSIC by Ernst Jorgensen qualifies as one source.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:49 pm

JLGB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
JLGB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:

How do you know?
From research.

Where in that book does Ernst state that only 4 takes were made?

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:54 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
JLGB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
JLGB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:

How do you know?
From research.

Where in that book does Ernst state that only 4 takes were made?
It does not mention that only 4 takes were made. It mentions everything else I have stated but not in Ernst's own words since I did not quote verbatim.My other sources must be wrong and you must have the truth I gather by the way you have kept inquiring. If that is so then you will become another source for me and I will be grateful.