Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Artist of the Century box set

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:06 am

Is the Artist of the Century box set worth getting? I have all the others except for the 60's Masters vol.2. Since there is no unreleased songs or alternate takes, is it worth the money? I can't see spending another 30 to 50 dollars on a set that doesn't contain anything new. What is everybody else's opinion on this one?

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:10 am

Well...

This is a box set where the songs included were chosen by Elvis fans themselves.

Great music in great sound, with a unique cover art work.
But bottom line is that it contains nothing special that we don't have elsewhere.

It will have to be your own decision.

Br
Kristian

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:03 am

For me this set is great to have for the auto, or just to have for your home if you just wanna put on a disc representing that respective era. I would have added some additional tracks on both the 60s & 70s discs, but they are still good overviews of those eras. I think the 50s is damn near perfect as a once disc over view of his work in that decade. IMO

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:25 am

The box set is beautiful :!:

The artwork, sporting a retro feel with lots of information on Foreign and American releases, but yes, to much repetition of songs that can be found already on multiple other discs.

The sonic quality is sensational, (pre E1 sound), if you know what I mean and ,IMHO, I think it's worth it.

I recently saw another copy in Best Buy for like $35.

Re: Artist of the Century box set

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:30 am

johngael wrote:I can't see spending another 30 to 50 dollars on a set that doesn't contain anything new. What is everybody else's opinion on this one?

John -
This really depends on whether you are a completist or not.

Unfortunately, I am.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:36 am

The Australian release had bonus tracks.

:D

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:49 am

sam wrote:The Australian release had bonus tracks.

Which were... :?:

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:02 am

The AOTC Box Set is a very nice one. And as sam said the BMG Australia Box (In fat Jewelcaase) has 5 Bonus Tracks.
Can't remember now exactly wich 5 Tracks ;-(

Also very nice and important is the 60's Masters Vol.2, 2 CD Box Set!!
This has NOT only a perfect sound, BUT it incl. by mistake an Outtake of Follow That Dream!!
Its NOT Take 2 BUT OutTake 4!

Look bellow the Infos from the Master & Session Website.
Thanks to Steve Sholes ;-))

The Argentinian CD, "25 Grandes Éxitos"(74321 49055-2) includes Follow That Dream take 2 although the cover notes claim that it is the lost stereo master (take 6). The mistake can probably be blamed on the fact that BMG had used take 4 on "Command Performances" without saying so, not even an "unreleased" note, and that version was later listed as "take 2" in "A Life in Music".

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:44 am

minkahed wrote:
sam wrote:The Australian release had bonus tracks.

Which were... :?:

Took me ages to find it...LOL

On disc 1 Judy & Raised On Rock.
On disc 2 Edge Of Reality & Kentucky Rain
On disc 3 Way Down.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:48 am

cool. i was thinking about getting this boxset, but really only for 2 song masters i don't have. but the tracklist, except for some, looks definitive to me

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:13 am

I still think it's the best introduction to Elvis for a newbie that's out there. But if you're already a fan with a few records, there's not much point in getting it IMO.

Jules

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:14 am

yes, indeed the only cd set you need to start with

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:42 pm

I never had an interesting in this boxset. To be more exactly "priority". Due to the fact we don´´t have anything new but after reading the topic I will reconsider this.
I´ve seen the art in this release and surely it is great! And I agree that this is a boxset that it is very good to new fans.