Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' best musical accomplishment came from:

The Sun Sessions 1954
22%
The Elvis Is Back Sessions 1960
11%
The 1968 Comeback Shows (Black Leather Only)
11%
The 1969 Memphis Sessions
32%
The August 1969 Vegas Engagement
3%
The June 1970 Nashville Sessions
6%
The February and/or August 1970 Vegas Shows
6%
The On Tour and MSG Performances in 1972
3%
The 1976 Graceland Sessions
6%

Total votes : 79

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:41 pm

56-58. He conquered the world with his music during this period.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:09 pm

bray1977 wrote:The Sun era and 56-58 was undoubtably his greatest cultural and historical achievements.

There is no such word as "undoubtably". Try using "undoubtedly".

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:14 pm

Spellbinder -

You wrote:
There is no such word as "undoubtably". Try using "undoubtedly".

Or "indubitably" even.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:00 am

I think it can safely be said that most people feel that Elvis' greatest accomplishments came from the Memphis sessions of January / February 1969.

I do agree, but my favorite music comes from June 1970.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:51 pm

Rob -

You wrote:
I think it can safely be said that most people feel that Elvis' greatest accomplishments came from the Memphis sessions of January / February 1969.

Hmmmmm....................

His American Sound sessions were certainly all the things that his work had lacked in the preceding 'film' years.

The material and performances were adult, contemporary, commercial, professional and well-produced.

But not as pioneering and ground-breaking as his Sun stuff.

And nothing that would prove as earth-shatteringly different and world-changing as his early RCA sessions.

American Sound in 1969 allowed him to regain his status with the music critics, writers, editors and journalists.

In many ways, the echoes of this renaissance lasted for the rest of his life and beyond.

But his 'greatest accomplishments' must surely be from Sun and those RCA sessions up to July, 1956.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:08 pm

ColinB wrote:
But his 'greatest accomplishments' must surely be from Sun and those RCA sessions up to July, 1956.

Colin -
Why the July '56 cut-off? By this you exclude: All Shook Up; Love Me; Jailhouse Rock; One Night; When It Rains It Really Pours; Don't; Santa Clause Is Back In Town; Trouble; A Fool Such As I; A Big Hunk O' Love. All these are among his greatest 50's tracks!

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:29 pm

Rob wrote:I think it can safely be said that most people feel that Elvis' greatest accomplishments came from the Memphis sessions of January / February 1969.

I do agree, but my favorite music comes from June 1970.

Rob that's exactly the same with me. My head says Memphis '69 but my heart says Nashville '70.

Jules

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:02 pm

I can't pick just one because each contributed something to the Elvis legacy. The stuff I prefer listening to the most is Nashville '70.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:29 pm

ColinB wrote:
His American Sound sessions were certainly all the things that his work had lacked in the preceding 'film' years.

The material and performances were adult, contemporary, commercial, professional and well-produced.

And nothing that would prove as earth-shatteringly different and world-changing as his early RCA sessions.

American Sound in 1969 allowed him to regain his status with the music critics, writers, editors and journalists.

In many ways, the echoes of this renaissance lasted for the rest of his life and beyond.

Really well said, Colin. I voted for Sun. But thank goodness
for all the eras.

Any missing eras that someone wants to pipe up over?

How about some would-be eras?

Instead of 1981 being Goldman's year, imagine if he had another '69-style
comeback? Or we could imagine the '90s being a renewal of much
of nostalgic, retro-style beach movies, necessitating a "2001" comeback
for the ages?

Would 2005 be 1975 redux? :shock: :roll: :D

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:18 am

Pete -

You wrote:
Colin - Why the July '56 cut-off?

Well, it conveniently stops short of the somewhat lesser Love Me Tender soundtrack sessions.

If these are omitted, I guess the period could be 1956-1958.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:14 am

That's a tough call. You could pick almost anything from this list and still be right. The notable exception being the Graceland sessions, which were better than they had any right to be given his health and previous then-recent studio material.

If we're talking about his best or greatest performance, my pick would be Aloha. It could be argued that this was the height of any single performers career. As we all know, he flawlessly performed in front of a live worldwide audience. How can anybody, particularly during Elvis' lifetime(few TV channels, no internet, etc.), beat that? Like I said that is the pinnacle of anybody's career.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:21 am

The 1950's period! Greatest work by far, although I love everything from his career; the tracks from Sun and RCA in the '50s set the world on fire.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:36 am

ColinB wrote:Rob -

You wrote:

Hmmmmm....................

I'm only going by the poll, Colin. Only by the poll.

Thanks for your opinion anyway.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:15 pm

just my choice,,, 69 sessions in memphis

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:25 pm

Deke Rivers II wrote:The 1950's period! Greatest work by far, although I love everything from his career; the tracks from Sun and RCA in the '50s set the world on fire.

Yes, all that is true. But '50s Elvis is what I enjoy listening to least. I have to be in the mood for '50s Elvis. Especially the Sun recordings.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:34 pm

Jerry -

You wrote:
I have to be in the mood for '50s Elvis.

Funny thing.

I have to be in the mood for 'Harum Scarum'.

Trouble is, I don't feel suicidal very often.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:53 pm

ColinB wrote:Jerry -

You wrote:

Funny thing.

Colin, are you stirring the pot again?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:59 pm

Joe -

You wrote:
Colin, are you stirring the pot again?

Moi ?

I don't even have a spoon !

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:53 pm

ColinB wrote:Jerry -

You wrote:

Funny thing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image VS. Image
:lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:55 pm

Not in the list but my favorite Elvis work: Elvis In Concert 1977.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:54 am

There's a reason that it was not included in the list.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:31 am

everything Elvis did could have something positive said about it.[/quote]

Song Of The Shrimp?
Petunia The Graceland Gardner's Daughter?
Ito Eats?
Everything from Harum Scarum?
Confidence?
Do The Clam?
Barefoot Ballad?
Queenie Whahine's Papaya Juice?
Old Bastard Macdonald?
Padre?
and a few dozen more