Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:52 am

Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke is Peter Guralnick's first book since Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley. It should be fantastic. I'm really looking forward to it.

Sam Cooke is my favorite singer, right up there with Elvis. I remember going on the Graceland tour back in '93 and there was a section that featured some of Elvis' personal record collection and there were a few Sam Cooke LP's from his Gospel years, so Elvis must have been a fan. They both started out at about the same time and recorded for the RCA label. Does anyone know if they ever crossed paths at some point? What an unbelievable duet that would have made!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:30 am

They never met, although I wonder if Sam would've been as cordial as someone like Jackie Wilson, who just adored Presley.

Live At The Harlem Square Club 1963 - One Night Stand (RCA, 1985) is one of the greatest live recordings ever released by ANY artist.

Peter's book is sure to be excellent, as his style offers a rare combination of passion, intellect and grace. There was a terrific Cooke biography not too long ago by Daniel Wolff -- it will be interesting to learn if Guralnick manages to surpass it.

DJC

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:37 am

I'll be buying it for sure. Just love Sam the Man :) Guralnick has good taste when selecting subject matter for his books.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:28 am

Cooke is my second favorite as well.

It will be hard for Guralnick to surpass Wolff because that was the one of truly great music bios I've ever read. It was darn close to definitive.

I hope Guralnick gives pop and rock and roll records the same kind of break he gave Elvis' post Sun work. I thought he gave some of Cooke's mainstream pop side short-shrift in his otherwise brilliant book "Sweet Soul Music." Guralnick's adherence to purism is his only major flaw as a writer and historian.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:40 am

likethebike wrote:Cooke is my second favorite as well.

It will be hard for Guralnick to surpass Wolff because that was the one of truly great music bios I've ever read. It was darn close to definitive.

I hope Guralnick gives pop and rock and roll records the same kind of break he gave Elvis' post Sun work. I thought he gave some of Cooke's mainstream pop side short-shrift in his otherwise brilliant book "Sweet Soul Music." Guralnick's adherence to purism is his only major flaw as a writer and historian.

I read that book when it first came out in '95 and have since lost my copy. I'll have to try and find it again so I can review.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Live At The Harlem Square Club 1963 - One Night Stand (RCA, 1985) is one of the greatest live recordings ever released by ANY artist.

YES!!! And it's getting the reissue treatment in a few days!!! September 20th. Check it out on Amazon.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Peter's book is sure to be excellent, as his style offers a rare combination of passion, intellect and grace.

That sums up his efforts well Doc. Guralnick is very accessible with a good level of empathy for his subject without slipping into idolism or contempt as other authors so easily do. He is also able to paint the pictures with his narrative.

The perfect foil for Griel Marcus' sharp analytical dissection of his subject.

Andrew

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm

Sam Cooke had a great voice and his live version of Chaing Gang is very nice.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:55 pm

I saw Sam Cooke on stage in the UK in the 1960's.

Sam closed the first half of the show and Little Richard the second. Sam had a great voice and stage act. He has a Greatest Hits Collection currently in the UK Album Chart.

He was a sad loss to the entertainment industry.

Brian :(

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:26 pm

Without straying too far from the post, I'd love to see an author of Guralnick's calibre write a bio on Jackie Wilson.
He inspired so many, from M. Jackson to Elvis to Tom Jones, had a true 3 octave range .... check out Danny Boy or Night... and was superb on stage.

If I remember correctly, he collapsed during a show in the seventies, and never recovered, existing in a private nursing home. Elvis supposedly sent money for his care?
After his death in the home, there were allegations of abuse, with his body having bruises and a baseball bat found in the room.

Talk about a true rags to riches book.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:01 pm

Sam Cooke had the voice of an angel. He also had a sharp business brain.

'Nothing Can Change This Love', 'A Change is Gonna Come' and 'Bring It On Home To Me' are three of my favourite song ever. Beautiful!

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:42 pm

<b>Did you know that..............

Peter Guralnick has own own Beale Street Music note in Memphis?</b>

Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:56 pm

ME4EP -

I didn't know Guralnick even played golf !