Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Memphis Recording Service - Volume 1

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:52 pm

Looks like Joseph Pirzada's Sun project will see the light of day before the FTD set. However, it's been delayed before. Looks like there will be at least one unreleased take, although the DVD would be short clocking at about 20 minutes I would have thought.

Ernst has said that the FTD set will be 3 CD's in great sound accompanying the book, so if you can only afford one it looks a no-brainer!

Memphis Recording Service Volume 1
Here is the cover of the upcoming SUN project by Joseph Pirzada and John Michael Heath as featured in an advertisement in the Official Elvis Presley Fan Club magzine fron the UK. This book deals with Elvis SUN years 1953 - 1954 and should contain new information on this period as well as new colour pictures. This project also includes a 45rpm vinyl single of "That's All Right" from the original mother stamper (without the additional echo RCA added when re-releasing the SUN singles) and an audio DVD with eleven tracks in 5.1 surround sound and includes an unreleased version of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin". The actual release of this project has been postponed several times, it is now due for release November 2005.
Source: Elvisnews / Updated: Sep 14th 2005

Re: Memphis Recording Service - Volume 1

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:57 pm

Delboy wrote:Looks like Joseph Pirzada's Sun project will see the light of day before the FTD set. However, it's been delayed before. Looks like there will be at least one unreleased take, although the DVD would be short clocking at about 20 minutes I would have thought.

Ernst has said that the FTD set will be 3 CD's in great sound accompanying the book, so if you can only afford one it looks a no-brainer!

Here is the cover of the upcoming SUN project by Joseph Pirzada and John Michael Heath as featured in an advertisement in the Official Elvis Presley Fan Club magzine fron the UK. This book deals with Elvis SUN years 1953 - 1954 and should contain new information on this period as well as new colour pictures. This project also includes a 45rpm vinyl single of "That's All Right" from the original mother stamper (without the additional echo RCA added when re-releasing the SUN singles) and an audio DVD with eleven tracks in 5.1 surround sound and includes an unreleased version of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin". The actual release of this project has been postponed several times, it is now due for release November 2005.

Unreleased 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin'? From the Sun era???

Re: Memphis Recording Service - Volume 1

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:05 am

Rich Holt wrote:Unreleased 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin'? From the Sun era???

Rich,

Well the Sun cut was an acetate and takes 1-14 from Jan '57 have been released so your guess is as good as mine. :?

THAT'S WHEN

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:09 am

I'm led to believe that the supposed "unreleased version" of "That's when your...." is just the original acetate with a few extra seconds on the end!!!??

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:54 am

Does anybody seriously believe that this set will contain anything FTD / BMG don't have? Unreleased Sun recordings aren't as common as soundboard tapes and the like. I believe this guy keeps delaying the release of this because he's waiting for the FTD release to come out and then, because of the 50 year copyright laws in the UK, he'll just use whatever he wants.
And how the hell can mono Sun recordings be in 5.1 surround sound? Some kind of technical wizardry? If they've been messed around with - then no thanks. And if this guy has got a genuine unreleased Sun recording of 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin', then I'll invite Dale Winton around for tea.
Be careful out there!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:14 am

Tits McGhee wrote:
Does anybody seriously believe that this set will contain anything FTD / BMG don't have? Unreleased Sun recordings aren't as common as soundboard tapes and the like. I believe this guy keeps delaying the release of this because he's waiting for the FTD release to come out and then, because of the 50 year copyright laws in the UK, he'll just use whatever he wants.

And how the hell can mono Sun recordings be in 5.1 surround sound? Some kind of technical wizardry? If they've been messed around with - then no thanks. And if this guy has got a genuine unreleased Sun recording of 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin', then I'll invite Dale Winton around for tea.

Count me in on that tea party! :lol:

But seriously, I don't think it's possible to have a new Sun take or version or whatever of That's When Your Heartaches Begin.

It may be like mentioned in this thread, that we might get a few additional seconds, of chat or guitar strumming or whatever...?

What do you guys think of this?
Likely or not?

Br
Kristian

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:22 am

Anyone have the tracklisting handy for Dec 16 1956? Did he do it at that show?

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:34 am

Jim Dandy wrote:Anyone have the tracklisting handy for Dec 16 1956? Did he do it at that show?

Do you mean Saturday December 15 1956?

As far as I know Elvis didn't sing this song at his last "Hayride" show

http://www.keithflynn.com/essential_lis ... 201961.htm

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:38 am

Yes that is what I meant (it was the 16th here in Sydney) :P

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:39 am

You are starting to sound like someone else on here that is never wrong, now Jim :lol:
Last edited by Keith F on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:40 am

...And since this SUN set will include material from 1953 and 1954 only, this recording has to be either the acetate, or some out of the blue performance we don't know about yet...

Br
Kristian

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:01 am

That 'quacks' me up Keith.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:37 am

It's advertised as That's When Your Heartaches Begin (complete version), which suggests that a few seconds have been added to the beginning or end. If it was an entirely different version, it would say so.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:47 am

Tits McGhee wrote:And how the hell can mono Sun recordings be in 5.1 surround sound?
This might not be the case but with 5.1 the mix could be just used to put the mono recording in the center and all the other channels turned off except the .1 for the lower end.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:52 am

TJ wrote:It's advertised as That's When Your Heartaches Begin (complete version), which suggests that a few seconds have been added to the beginning or end. If it was an entirely different version, it would say so.

includes an unreleased version of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin".

No TJ, it's advertised as an "Unreleased Version" of 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin'! That is a BIG diiference to "Complete Version"

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:59 am

It is a different way of saying different version. Unedited, incomplete, what ever but here are my thoughts on this.

On the original demo it seemed like the song just cuts off. I always had wondered whether those $4.00 self made records had a time limit and Elvis just went over time.

Remember the legend. Elvis sang "My Happiness" and Marion liked what she was hearing and decided to tape it, but only got the last part, but all of "that's when your heartaches begin".

Wouldn't it cool if that piece of tape survived?
Last edited by ekenee on Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:43 am

Keith F wrote:
TJ wrote:It's advertised as That's When Your Heartaches Begin (complete version), which suggests that a few seconds have been added to the beginning or end. If it was an entirely different version, it would say so.

includes an unreleased version of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin".

No TJ, it's advertised as an "Unreleased Version" of 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin'! That is a BIG diiference to "Complete Version"

The actual wording in the advert in the UK fan club mag is: "Highlights include 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin' (complete version) which to this day remains unreleased..."

If it simply said "an unreleased version", that would suggest an entirely different take. The wording that was used suggests that the version in question hasn't been released in 'complete' form.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:22 am

TJ -

Yeah, the 'Sun' version of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" does end pretty abruptly !

Maybe there is a bit more we've never heard.

Unlikely to be anything earth-shattering.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:38 am

If it's not the July 1953 SUN acetate, perhaps it's the December 4, 1956 SUN recording of the song -- from the "Million Dollar Quartet" jam session.

DJC

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:47 am

That wouldn't fit in with the 53-54 theme though Doc and I think all material on vol 1 is supposed to be from that period.

Colin, you are as bad as me with the hours you keep :lol:

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:53 am

TJ -

You wrote:
Colin, you are as bad as me with the hours you keep

No, no, I'm tucked up asleep !

It's my alter-ego who is posting at this hour !

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:16 am

TJ wrote:That wouldn't fit in with the 53-54 theme though ...

It would if they decide to "cheat" a little ...

DJC

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:50 am

11 tracks seems a bit light for the audio DVD. Perhaps with the 50 year copyright law that is all Pirzada is allowed to get away with? Also I would have though Ernst would have had access to the complete acetate of 'TWYHB' and would have issued the complete version?

Also, I don't think it's the Mother Stamper. One of the secondary stampers...

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17060&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:29 pm

Elvis entered the recording booth at The Memphis Recording Service to record "That's When Your Heartaches Begin".

Marion Keisker started up the recording machine.

Unsure if could start yet, he looked over at Marion through the little window in the door.

"Ready ?" he asked, and she nodded.

He started singing.

Perhaps this 'complete' version will now include that single-word question.

[That's a load of rubbish - The Management]