Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Will we get a studio FTD soon?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:23 pm

The 6-7 (if you exclude Flashback as a regular release) FTDs have been live. Im talking about the regular FTDs, not soundtracks, classic albums or books. The only one recently that comes close to studio is Elvis On Tour The Rehearsals which is Elvis - rehearsing live material, not the same as a recording session.

The next release is to be another concert. Isn't it about time we got a studio release. Some sessions haven't been covered yet, Nashville 71 being an obvious one, plus a follow up the Rhythm and Country. Yeah, I know some material will eventually surface on the classic album re-issues but that can't mean we won't get regular FTD studio releases will it?

Don't get me wrong, I love concert material (there are a few I need to collect - see other thread) but a good balance would be nice. Obviously there are more live soundboards than there are studio recordings. How about a trilogy of 70s studio sessions much like the 60s Nashville series.

End rant! :twisted:

Re: Will we get a studio FTD soon?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:31 pm

Matthew wrote:Some sessions haven't been covered yet, Nashville 71 being an obvious one, plus a follow up the Rhythm and Country. Yeah, I know some material will eventually surface on the classic album re-issues but that can't mean we won't get regular FTD studio releases will it?

Well it could do. It depends how many out-takes there are and how prepared to repeat tracks the FTD team are.

Jules

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:32 pm

Yes this is a good topic. I'm tired of all the "live" FTD releases.

I'd like to have more Nashville/Memphis Sessions outakes and more studio unreleased takes in general.

In particular I'd like to hear more takes of my favourite song of the moment, "Stranger In The Crowd". I like to hear how this song developed.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:36 pm

elbo51 wrote:In particular I'd like to hear more takes of my favourite song of the moment, "Stranger In The Crowd". I like to hear how this song developed.

That's been my favourite before now, and never strays out of my top 10. A mighty, mighty tune!

Jules

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:50 pm

familyjules wrote:Well it could do. It depends how many out-takes there are and how prepared to repeat tracks the FTD team are.

Perhaps the label could do a bootleg series and release material available on bootlegs only. If they don't have it, I'm sure they can lift it from some of the quality boots out there. That way they have enough material for a few interesting releases.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:55 pm

K.C. wrote:Perhaps the label could do a bootleg series and release material available on bootlegs only. If they don't have it, I'm sure they can lift it from some of the quality boots out there. That way they have enough material for a few interesting releases.

I like that idea!

I also like the idea of an FTD release gathering up all the versions of Elvis songs only released on vinyl (like tracks from Greatest Hits vol 1 and This Is Elvis).

Jules

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:55 pm

A bootleg series...?? Are you for real...?? LMAO :roll:

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:32 pm

As long as FTD is in existance, they should release as much live material as possible as there are literally 100s of shows, many of which are worth hearing.

With the extended deluxe edition of a lot of Elvis' studio albums most likely being released in the next couple of years, plan on plenty of studio outtakes to hit the market (even though there will be a lot of overlapping of previously available material as this trend is now heavily in effect by ftd).

Perhaps the label could do a bootleg series and release material available on bootlegs only. If they don't have it, I'm sure they can lift it from some of the quality boots out there. That way they have enough material for a few interesting releases.

Ernst has said FTD is considering reissuing famous bootlegs for fans that have not collected them. It is a possibility.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:38 pm

I see potential for the following releases:

A 70s overview in a similar vein that Long Lonely Highway was to the 60's.
A 1970-71 overview that could include mainly studio outtakes plus a couple of live outtakes (ie an On Stage outtake or two).
A 1972-73 overview done in the same way as the above.
A 1974-77 - ok, this would really be a 1975-76 overview unless they included any home recordings from 1974. Also, it could include a couple of Spring Tours alternates if they exist.
If there is not enough for a trilogy then maybe two releases split 1970-72, 1973-76.
A dedicated 1971 sessions CD. Weighed more so on the non Chrsitmas/Gospel stuff and bulked out with only the best of those. It could maybe include some 1972 studio sessions.
A dedicated 1973 sessions CD to follow up Rhythm & Country but mainly to have a Stax CD in the regular FTD catalogue.

That's a potential of 5-6 70s studio releases.

The 60s I believe have probably been done - I'd expect any new material here will feature eventually on the soundtrack/classic series releases.

The 50s - well, there isn't really much left here as far as I know hence the special book treatment but a dedicated regular release would be great but I doubt that will happen. Anything that does exist I'd expect will be saved for the soundtrack/classic series.

Moving back to rehearsal material - we could still get a TTWII rehearsal release. Also, the August 16th 1974 STEREO tape has yet to be put out. The bootleg was mono from what I remember. That would be a nice release. So that's a further 2 non-live releases right there.

It is sad but the end is not that far off from what I can tell - yeah, they could release loads of soundboards but hmm, I hope they don't let the series end that way.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:48 pm

elbo51 wrote:Yes this is a good topic. I'm tired of all the "live" FTD releases.

I'd like to have more Nashville/Memphis Sessions outakes and more studio unreleased takes in general.

In particular I'd like to hear more takes of my favourite song of the moment, "Stranger In The Crowd". I like to hear how this song developed.

Agree 99%.......Im tied of the soundboards,not the multitrack releases....at least not yet.
I also would like more outtakes from 69-76......anything is welcome.
"Stranger In The Crowd" is a favorite and would really like to hear an outtake of this.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:23 pm

Yeah, I'm geting fed up of the soundboards now too. :?
Give me some studio stuff.........PLEASE :?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:53 pm

I'm sure some nice Studio FTD CD's will come sooner or later :D

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:34 pm

MB280E wrote:A bootleg series...?? Are you for real...?? LMAO :roll:

Glad to make you laugh, but do you have idea's on how to come up with interesting "new" material? The fact that a lot of albums get a re-issue treatment meant that Ernst can release a lot more albums spreading the few(er) outakes left over more releases. Look at the latest two "Legendarry Performer" releases, Ernst could easily do that on the FTD label.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:38 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

I´m afraid to say that we will not have anymore regular outtakes FTD cd´s. From now on, all the new outtakes will be included on the Special 2 cd treatment that FTD has started. So start to forget about it, I have always expected a 1971 outtakes cd 8) 8) like Nashville Marathon, but I have been told that it will not happen :cry: :cry: :cry: . All the best.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 pm

I can live very well with the 2CD FTD Albums incl. Studioouttakes.
This makes more sence than just a best of Outtakes CD.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D .

I´m afraid to say that we will not have anymore regular outtakes FTD cd´s. From now on, all the new outtakes will be included on the Special 2 cd treatment that FTD has started. So start to forget about it, I have always expected a 1971 outtakes cd 8) 8) like Nashville Marathon, but I have been told that it will not happen :cry: :cry: :cry: . All the best.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!

How do you know this....who has told you? Ernst? IF true that's rediculous because it imbalances the collection.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:48 am

For those of you who love the studio outtakes, (as I do) you do have the Elvis Is Back FTD, right?

If not, you're cheating yourselves. It doesn't get any better than that.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:31 pm

Rob wrote:For those of you who love the studio outtakes, (as I do) you do have the Elvis Is Back FTD, right?

If not, you're cheating yourselves. It doesn't get any better than that.

EIB is a great release but only played it once so for me it dosent make top 20 of FTD releases.......not enough new takes and the fact that im not much into the younger elvis........ :roll: