Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS AND SUSAN

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:00 pm

Heyward, not Henning, can anybody please tell me when Elvis met Susan and what occasion?

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:08 pm

Who's Susan Heyward??

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:43 pm

Jove,
Do you mean the great Susan Hayward of Ada fame??

Tom

Re: ELVIS AND SUSAN

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 pm

Jove wrote:Heyward, not Henning, can anybody please tell me when Elvis met Susan and what occasion?

I believe that Elvis and Susan Hayward met in 1957. I think it was for a charity event.

Tom (from Ohio)

Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:29 pm

It was a Memphis charity event in June 1957. Several photos from this are in the Gallery section of the FECC site.

DJC

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:11 am

The picture of Elvis and Susan Hayward are from the St. Jude Hospital show at Russwood Park in Memphis which took place on June 28, 1957.

Mayor Orgill started the show by introducing Danny Thomas as "Memphis´ great and good friend" and told of the hospital he was going to build in Memphis for treatment and research in leukemia and related blood diseases. Danny Thomas then took over and kept the crowd laughing, making jokes and singing and talking about the hospital in between.

Movie star Jane Russell, dressed in a red dress, sang "Ain't Misbehavin" and "I've Got A Crush On You." Ferlin Huskey showed how he could switch from country to popular music and Lou Costello and Danny Thomas were really great. Lou couldn't resist his "whose on first?" baseball number with the stage sitting on second base and he also did his famous seven times 13 is 28.

Susan Hayward, a real curvy beauty, kidded about being a Georgia cracker who walked barefooted and "loved white lightning," greeted her "cotton pickin' neigh-bours," then adroitly switched to serious vein about the children's hospital.

Then came Elvis, dressed in a greyish silk shantung suit, white shirt and a black tie with silver and gold leaves, and the crowd went wild. He wasn't even announced on the program but Danny Thomas had personally gone out to Elvis' mansion and invited him to participate in the show. He said he would appear in a charity show in Memphis in September. He wasn't permitted to sing, but obviously wanted to so he gave the crowd a few of his wiggles and stole the show. He had waited patiently backstage an hour and a half to make his brief appearance, graciously autographed everything thrust at him, posed for pictures with scores of policemen and others.

The big finale was Miss Roberta Sherwood who sang several numbers which really had the crowd going.

Sincerely
Brian Petersen

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:15 am

Great picture :D

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:49 am

Thank you Brian Petersen for the info,and woodley john for the photo.I've seen some photos of Elvis with Susan, Jane Russell and Lou COSTELLO on the ELVIS IN JAPAN website. Didn't realize those pictures were taken on the same occasion. Funny Guralnick never mention this event in Last Train to Memphis.

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Jove,
Do you mean the great Susan Hayward of Ada fame??

Tom

Sorry Tom, don't know anything about Ada, but Susan won the Oscar for Best Actress in 'I Want To Live'