Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question regarding a pic of 50's Elvis wearing leather!

Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:29 am

Hi!!

I have a photo that I found on a Finish site several years ago. It is very intriguing and I would love to find out more about it.

After some detective work with my friends at TCB World I remembered this photo that Stacy at http://elvis.fan-sites.org (great site BTW!! , I hope she doesn't mind me posting it here) sent me a couple of years ago.

To me the jackets look the same to me, even the top pocket (just open, and no zipper).... so I think we can say for sure it is from the 50's. The sideburns tell me the same thing.

But do you know anything more about it? When or where it might be taken. And also, if it is available in better quality anywhere. Answers are greatly appreciated!!

LINDA

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:49 pm

Linda -

Great pics !

That Marlon Brando 'The Wild One' look was so cool back then !

Unfortunately, these days it has something of a Village People association which has kinda ruined it.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:40 pm

Elvis, Dewey Phillips, Nick Adams

circa Sept /Oct, 1956 in Memphis

other date/location option:

May 1957 in Los Angeles

question

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:32 pm

This hunk was cool as a fridge in the early days. The first photo has a Loving You feel to it. So I would say around the first months of 57... The 2nd one, with DJ Dewey Phillips and actor Nick Adams is from Memphis , fall of 56.

Re: question

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:40 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:The 2nd one, with DJ Dewey Phillips and actor Nick Adams is from Memphis , fall of 56.

right, like I said.

questionfor

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:46 pm

Isnt it a miracle, GG, we agree on something for a change? I had not read your thread yet while posting mine. I remember seeing a shot of E with Natalie Wood sitting behind him [ in leathers ] on the Harley. Probably from the same day.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:53 pm

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I was pretty sure about the 2nd one too, I didn't really ask about that one. But thanks anyhow! I was thinking more of the first one. So you say that it probably from May 1957. What do you base it one? Just the way he looks... or have you read it somewhere/seen the photo before? I'm not questioning you, May 57 seems very resonable. I would just like to know.... 8)

Thanks you guys!! LINDA

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:05 pm

GR -

agreeing: a pleasant experience.

:D

question

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:34 pm

Never seen the photo before, the hairstyle is very much a la Loving You and the turtle neck sweater underneath his jacket is in the style / design of the ones he posed in during photo sessions for Paramount / Loving You. Ciao!

Re: question

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:00 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Never seen the photo before, the hairstyle is very much a la Loving You and the turtle neck sweater underneath his jacket is in the style / design of the ones he posed in during photo sessions for Paramount / Loving You. Ciao!

Oh yes, you are so right on the sweater. Thank you for pointing that out, I had not thought about it at all!! Arrivederci!! :wink:

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:42 pm

Great shots, Linda. I've never seen either one.

Colin, I know what you mean about the Village People thing, but,
seriously, don't you kind of tune that out?

It's what is cool about such shots: they are history and frozen in time.
The notion that a gay subculture-turned- lightweight pop acts could ever change anything about howhe looks in these shots should never occur to you.

It's kind of like in the USA: firemen and cops often still sport big,
brassy, 19th-century-style moustaches. If the wrong context (or clothes)
some would find this "gay." But nothing has stopped it. They refuse
to let some latter-day thing change the way they dress. Likewise,
with actual cowboys which do still exist in the U.S. and would-be
cowboys. None are doing the 'Village People' thing.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:05 am

Greg -

All I meant was that to wear stuff like that today would convey a quite different meaning from what it did when Elvis did it in the 50's.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:16 am

In Seinfeldese, why Nick Adams kept hanging out with Elvis would be referred to as:

a man-crush

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:28 am

You can really see the 67-68 Elvis in the first pic. Much more so than in most pics from the 50s. Or is it just me?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:54 am

ColinB wrote:All I meant was that to wear stuff like that today would convey a quite different meaning from what it did when Elvis did it in the 50's.

I don't want you to feel like your being picked on ;-) but I have to say that that is def not the case here in Sweden. If you see a jacket like that in Sweden the last thing you would think about is the Village People. Instead you would think of punk rockers and just simply rockers. 'Cause they are the ones that still wear them in Sweden.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 am

Little Sister wrote:
ColinB wrote:All I meant was that to wear stuff like that today would convey a quite different meaning from what it did when Elvis did it in the 50's.

I don't want you to feel like your being picked on ;-) but I have to say that that is def not the case here in Sweden. If you see a jacket like that in Sweden the last thing you would think about is the Village People. Instead you would think of punk rockers and just simply rockers. 'Cause they are the ones that still wear them in Sweden.

It's just the bars Colin hangs out in. Gives him a different perspective :lol: :wink:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:23 pm

GG: I've sometimes wondered about that Nick Adams. "Man-crush"!
I forgot that epidode.

Any more than, say, George Klein? I guess George was one of the
boys but Nick? One doesn't get that feeling...

I wouldn't be surprised if Albert Goldman devoted a chapter to the period. :roll:

To back up what was said on the jackets, I guess where Colin
writes, leather has been ruined.

(My father once grumbled long ago about how the 'gays' had "ruined"
a perfectly good word. :lol: )

In the States - and Sweden - you
can still get away with such dress.
It's all about how you carry yourself -and
hang out with. On Christopher Street in New York, don't try it.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:06 pm

TJ -

You wrote:
It's just the bars Colin hangs out in. Gives him a different perspective

Well, yeah, only I wear the 'construction worker' hard-hat etc !

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:23 pm

I think the top picture is from about '68. Look at the polo-neck, his face is older, and hair more like June/July '68.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:36 pm

I forgot about that photo :D

If anyone is interested in having a "copy" of it, it's from the book, "Elvis: A Biography" by Jerry Hopkins.

I think Nick hung out with Elvis for the publicity, the money from the Colonel (wasn't he being paid to report back?), and because no one else would probably put up with him :lol:

- Stacy

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:37 pm

I agree with TJ and suaveharv...

When I first saw the top picture, I immediately thought 1967 or so. He looks more mature than in '57, although it could be the angle, lighting or whatever, but his hair also appears to be from about that time.

Anyone else see this?

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:31 am

I kind of know what you mean, but I still would vote for this
being an Eisenhower-era Elvis. That shock of hair, the sideburns
and that youthful, thin face - coupled with his dress, point me to the
'50s.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:53 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I kind of know what you mean, but I still would vote for this being an Eisenhower-era Elvis. That shock of hair, the sideburns and that youthful, thin face - coupled with his dress, point me to the '50s.

You are correct -- the image is likely from January 1957.

DJC

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:34 pm

Greg -

I wrote previously:
That Marlon Brando 'The Wild One' look was so cool back then !

Unfortunately, these days it has something of a Village People association which has kinda ruined it.

I just read that, in fact, only one of the Village People was actually gay !

And it wasn't that leather-clad biker with the giant tash !

It was the cowboy !

Another illusion shattered.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:47 pm

You just read that, huh? :roll: :lol:

They were all on fire.

[img]http://www.b52.be/images/D├ęcors/Disco/Village_People1.jpg[/img]