Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rolling Stone best valuable albums

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:18 am

In Spain, the published in RS the 100 best valuable albums. In the Top 10, there are 6 Beatles LP! No EP, no Boss, no Who, no Queen... NO ROCK´n´ROLL!!! Which is disgusting.

Here is my little site to talk about it :
http://www.geocities.com/yanoyanote/brainwash.htm

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:40 am

I assume those four artists are represented on the list, just not the top ten. Elvis never scores heavily on these lists, mainly due to the quantity of albums released and the mess his catalogue is in. I would expect that his first two albums. Elvis is Back and From Elvis in Memphis are there somewhere.

That the top ten contains SIX Beatles albums is a bit rich, even coming from a Beatles fan!

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:58 am

#1 SERGENT PEPPER (laughs)

first EP album
#12 THE SUN SESSIONS

There are virtually no rock artists in the Top 10, only POP STARS.

http://www.geocities.com/yanoyanote/brainwash.htm

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:06 pm

Sigh...

Can someone please explain to me why Sgt Pepper always seems to win these contents?

I mean, if you look at the actual song material that's on it, I wouldn't say that this is the best album in the Rock'n Roll/ Pop History - by far!!!

True, there are some real good songs here, like the title track, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, With A Little Help From My Friends, A Day In The Life...

But there are also songs like When I'm 64, Fixing A Hole, Good Morning Good Morning...

I just don't get it! Personally I would choose many Beatles albums before this one, if I had to!

Br
Kristian

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:23 pm

Agreed! Give me 'Revolver' and 'Abbey Road' over 'Sgt Pepper' any day of the week.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:38 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Sigh...

Can someone please explain to me why Sgt Pepper always seems to win these contests?

I mean, if you look at the actual song material that's on it, I wouldn't say that this is the best album in the Rock'n Roll/ Pop History - by far!!!

True, there are some real good songs here, like the title track, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, With A Little Help From My Friends, A Day In The Life...

But there are also songs like When I'm 64, Fixing A Hole, Good Morning Good Morning...

I just don't get it! Personally I would choose many Beatles albums before this one, if I had to!

Br
Kristian

I agree. To an extent. (I'm an Abbey Road man myself.)

Though it must be said that over in the UK, Revolver usually beats Sgt Pepper in these listings nowadays for the reasons KH mentions above, ie chiefly because it's a stronger set of songs.

I think it's more to do with cultural impact though - Sgt Pepper really cut through and even the music snobs who had previously dismissed "pop music" sat up and took notice. Plus George Martin's production was very advanced - all those cross fades and effects were really exceptional.

A Day In The Life alone means Sgt Pepper will always be a high water mark of the Beatles' achievements. That track is simply staggering!

Oh and Fixing A Hole - I like that one. But not as much as Getting Better which I've always felt to be the most underrated track on the album.

Jules

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:47 pm

Can someone please explain to me why Sgt Pepper always seems to win these contents?

A lot of writers for entertainment publications do not have a rich knowledgeble music background. It is easy for them to say what is commonly accepted; it doesn't take much thought, research or creativity on their part. Sgt. Pepper is and was a very influential album, that cannot be denied. But is it the all-time greatest rock album? Well, that one will always be debated.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:51 pm

Give me EP's golden records volume 1 any day.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:06 pm

Sgt Pepper may not be the best album but you have to look real hard for something more creative at the time.

It's like listening to Hound Dog or Hearbreak Hotel. Today people say: So what? Back in '56 these songs were extraordinary... You have to see the historical importance to realize the real greatness of certain music.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:46 pm

Any RS list is always going to be high on Beatles, Stones, Dylan because RS founder Jan Wenner worships these artists. Sometimes I think their lists are made up simply to validate his tastes.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:42 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Sgt Pepper always seems to win these contents?
Kristian

Over time some things obtain a life on their own. Sgt. Peppers is on the top of the list because people believe it should be there...

Also, Elvis material covers such a large spectrum (r&r, country, etc..) that he never shows well because there isn't a category for him. Too bad he was so good that no one else could be classed with him.

Having said that, I have trouble understanding why Elvis material doesn't do better in the showing. (i.e. Sun material, American Sound material).

The Beatles are considered the best so they get the best ratings no matter what. They are masters of perpetuating the myth!!

Elvis lost his chance to perpetuate his own myth in August 1977. And may have been to humble to maintain his myth himself anyway.

However, being a big Beatle fan too. I can say that in addition to the music, Sgt. Peppers changed the perception of what an album should be. (i.e the 'first' concept album, no single releases, excellent music)

I'm thinking that Elvis is not considered 'hip' enough. Too bad since he defined 'hip' at one point.

bpd

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:36 am

I don't know what the top ten albums are except for Sgt Peppers. But if there are 6 Beatles albums, why do two people on this thread say there are no rock albums in the top 10. It sounds like at least 6 to me.
If Elvis was in the top 10, would there then be a rock act?
Beatles are not rock and Elvis is?
Beatles bashers are so inconsistent.

jeff R

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:49 am

Any RS list is always going to be high on Beatles, Stones, Dylan because RS founder Jan Wenner worships these artists. Sometimes I think their lists are made up simply to validate his tastes.

Exactly. :wink:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:15 am

I don't know what the top ten albums are except for Sgt Peppers. But if there are 6 Beatles albums, why do two people on this thread say there are no rock albums in the top 10. It sounds like at least 6 to me.
If Elvis was in the top 10, would there then be a rock act?
Beatles are not rock and Elvis is?

jeff R

Sorry, but I´ve never considered the beetalls as a rock group, but much more as a (soft) pop group, you know : OBLADI-OBLADA, STRAWBERRY FIELD, OCTOPUSSY´S GARDEN, PENNY LANE... Give me the Who, Joplin, or Hendrix. Pure rock. Not the beetalls.

Beatles bashers are so inconsistent.

Just an opinion about rock music, by the way.[/quote]

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:04 pm

jeanno wrote:Sorry, but I´ve never considered the beetalls as a rock group, but much more as a (soft) pop group, you know : OBLADI-OBLADA, STRAWBERRY FIELD, OCTOPUSSY´S GARDEN, PENNY LANE... Give me the Who, Joplin, or Hendrix. Pure rock. Not the beetalls.

Uh...it's "The Beatles". Really not that hard to spell the name of the biggest pop group of all time correctly, my man....

I could list you 10 hard rockin' Beatles tracks, 10 ballads, 10 pop classics, 10 psychedelic mind-blowers - that's the whole thing about The Beatles, they took their music every which way and in plenty of cases wrote the rule book. They are the giants of popular music, and no-one else will ever come close.

Jules

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Sigh...

Br
Kristian

I'd go with Rubber Soul (UK version).

If the criteria for inclusion in the top 10 is that the album must be innovative and groundbreaking (as always highlighted in relation to Sgt Pepper), there's no excuse for failing to credit Elvis' early work.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:28 pm

that's the whole thing about The Beatles, they took their music every which way and in plenty of cases wrote the rule book. They are the giants of popular music, and no-one else will ever come close.

Jules

The rule book - or a large part of it - was written long before them. Elvis reached an amazing music variety with his very own style years before (and made it bigger and deeper until the end). They may be giants but, for me, they are not the best.

Uh...it's "The Beatles". Really not that hard to spell the name of the biggest pop group of all time correctly, my man....

Sorry, i´m a spanish speaking; for me, they will always be LOS BEETALLS! :twisted:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:15 pm

jeanno wrote:The rule book - or a large part of it - was written long before them.

Well yes, for rock and roll and guitar music and 3-part harmonies, but not for all the places The Beatles took music as the 60s wore on. Places that Elvis never went to before or after (in most cases this was fine, Elvis doing psychedelia would just have been plain weird). Their growth rate between 1962 and 1969 was absolutely fantastic. Nobody at the time could keep up with them. And nobody has approached what they achived since.

Jules

Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:42 pm

Their growth rate between 1962 and 1969 was absolutely fantastic. Nobody at the time could keep up with them.

But do you think that, today, people still listen to their albums to consider them as the best ever? Do you really think that most of the population on earth has ever heard the SERGENT PEPPER album and decided "OK, that´s the best LP ever"?
I mean, Elvis´ music is still very present today (soundtrack movies, #1 UK hits at #1 in 2005, best sellers DVDs worldwide, FTD collector serie, radio diffusion, etc) while, to my point of view, The Beatles are more something like an image or some memories from the 60´s. I see more "tribute CDs" from other artists than a real interest to their albums.

Quote:

Exactly.

I agree.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:55 pm

jeanno wrote:But do you think that, today, people still listen to their albums to consider them as the best ever?

I don't listen to them as much as I used to. I do tend to think "OK, best group ever" and then put them to one side and listen to other stuff, but then I can't hear those records with fresh ears because I've heard them all so may times. And yeah it doesn't help with The Beatles and Elvis that you can't see them in person anymore.

But to come back to your question - yes, I think many people listen to their albums and think that they are still the best.

Jules