Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

'Roustabout mystery' who gets the royalties?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:13 pm

I,m really pleased that the NEW version of ROUSTABOUT is being released.

Back in 1991, i think ,when Otis Blackwell was doing an interview he did mention about this NEW version of ROUSTABOUT which ,he quotes, was completely different and much better than the one they used, which was a mystery to everyone cause nobody had even imagined that there was a NEW version out there.
Otis himself even heard it so i assume BMG had it all along.
My question is this' Why has it taken all this time for it to be released?
Is it because that Otis has now passed away and he no longer is intitled to the royalities?
Do his family get the royalities?
I know Otis made alot of money out of songs he wrote for Elvis (and quite rightly so) but it does seem strange that its been gathering dust all these years and now its finally coming out now that he has gone.

I can't wait to hear this NEW version but i would be interested in who does get the money.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:31 pm

Firstly Otis Blackwell co-write this song with Scott Winfield.

Alive or dead royalties will accrue to this duo or heirs for 75 years from publishing date.

There is the problem - this song has not been published.

In fact a suspicious person, regardless of what WWE says is 1000% correct might wonder if the track in fact exists.

I am waiting for official confirmation from RCA - WHICH WE HAVE NOT HAD.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:46 pm

If the track does exist, & BMG release it, it will have to be published.

Then the writers [or their estates] will get the royalties due.

This is BMG we are talking about here, not some fly-by-night minor label only interested in ripping-off writers & performers !

Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:14 am

Actually the larger labels are not less likely to rip off an artist: they are the biggest culprits in the business. This is actually the type of thing that would be right for a rip off except for the law stepping in. The royalties generated by the album probably would not be enough to sustain a long legal fight.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:18 am

the publishing date will begin on july 1st, 2003.