Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re-Releases of Aloha And 68 Dvd's

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:40 pm

I just read on Elvis News.com that these are NOT the new releases promised by EPE. What the heck is the deal here? Why would EPE allow this? They are supposed to have upgraded versions of these dvd's and what do we get? The same old ones with different covers! If this is what we've been waiting for we got lied to or some thing is very wrong I would like an explanation by EPE. There is no reason to re-release the old versions then release the new ones except for one thing: MONEY! And if this is how they plan on doing it forget it. They wont get my money thats for sure. Like I said I want an explanation. Ok O've vented enough for now.

Steve

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:44 pm

Actually, this should be old news, these have been out for awhile.. I know I saw them in January at the Graceland shops, and I think I remember seeing them in Aug, too...

EPE probably got into it or something with the old company, and stopped making those and pressed these "new" ones.

I don't have them, so I couldn't tell you if they look any better, but my guess is that they're the same as the old ones.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:51 pm

On EIN they say it is 2003 upgraded video and audio.

:?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:56 pm

That's odd... well, maybe I just saw them in January.. could very well be. I might check them out if come on e-bay.. I'm leery of paying full price when I'm sure it's not the full remasters promised..

If these are the full remasters, then they've got the same packages as the DVDs I saw in Jan, which would be an odd move.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:57 pm

These DVD titles are simply straight re-issues of the old discs. The Elvis news article makes reference to this saying, “these releases are not the upgraded versions which were announced earlier this year”. It does seem pointless to re-issue these incomplete discs, when there are upgraded versions on the way, but stranger things have happened. I really don’t think these discs have been (re)issued instead of the upgraded versions, and I expect we will still get those as well.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:27 pm

I have cut and paste from EIN...

Aloha From Hawaii, The Alternate Hawaii & '68 Comeback DVD Re-Release

Aloha From Hawaii, The Alternate Aloha and The '68 Comeback Special have been newly released in the USA by Finley Holiday Film Corp exclusively for EPE "With Newly Re-mastered Sound & Video" The two Aloha DVD's have new cover art.
Contrary to our belief we were to receive old stock of this DVD this is actually a New 2003 release by Finley Holiday Film Corp Exclusively for EPE "With Newly Re-mastered Sound & Video"

Well I can't figure it out???

8)

Where is the NEW Version of Aloha from Hawaii???

Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:38 pm

This DVD is actually quite useless as it has nothing new to offer and also still has all the missing songs STILL missing. When will EPE release the NEW Version with all the different angles etc?? Another 6 months from now - the 30th Anniversary of Aloha From Hawaii will be over!

Elvis Presley - Still the KING OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD

Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:45 pm

The original Lightyear releases of these titles also carried the “newly re-mastered sound and video” blurb. There’s a photograph of one of these new discs on the elvisnews.com site, and it looks to me like a straight re-issue of one of the Lightyear titles, with slightly different cover art. You would expect that if these DVD’s were the new upgraded versions, the packaging would make reference to the fact that they are now complete and/or that they also include extra footage.

I agree that it does seem strange that EPE would sanction a straight re-issue of the old titles when they are working on upgraded versions, but this appears to be what has happened here.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:43 am

Its the old Lightyear DVDs repackaged by a different company Finley-Holiday. Knowing that we were expecting the new releases little wonder there was some confusion.

EPEs response June 16, 2003........

It looks like our carrying the Aloha DVD in the merchandise mix on our European tour of Elvis-The Concert caused an unexpected stir and some confusion. We're simply continuing to carry the existing 68 & Aloha releases until the new editions become available. There's nothing to be upset about. For many months our FAQ on Elvis.com has indicated that we would continue to carry the existing '68 and Aloha releases until the new editions come out. Perhaps we erred in not explaining that they would be manufactured by a company called FINLEY-HOLIDAY as a Graceland exclusive after our LIGHTYEAR contract ran out. Today, we responded to the first E-mail inquiry we got about it. The following paragraphs were our response, which we hope will clear things up for everyone:

Our merchandise department wanted to continue carrying the existing '68 & Aloha releases until the new editions come out later this year. There is a non-stop demand from Graceland visitors and catalog customers. When our distribution deal with Lightyear ran out, our merchandise department contracted with Finley-Holiday (the makers of our Graceland tour video/DVD, by the way) to manufacture exact copies of the existing releases until the new video/DVDs come out. These are available only through Graceland and are not in distribution elsewhere.

Simple as that. Thus this line that has been in our FAQ for a while: "These programs are no longer in distribution but for leftover stock in some retail outlets and in the continuous stock maintained by Graceland/EPE for its own merchandising operations. "

We should be announcing a release date for the new editions soon. As we explain in the FAQ, the moment we have updates to share about '68 & Aloha, we will put an article in News, update the FAQ and issue
E-newsletter alerts. Via these means you won't miss knowing anything.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:34 pm

http://www.finley-holiday.com/index.html

Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:34 pm

Still not buying any of them until they come out with the cut songs restored. I'd rather wait than buy and see the mutilated versions.

Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:24 am

actually i was in graceland's gift shop a week or two ago, and the version of the aloha they were playing confused me because I have the lightyear version. They said this was the finley holiday. The lightyear version that i have is the straight concert, but this version has split screen shot (the way that it aired) and seemed to have different camera angles. Still missing the 3 songs.

ALOHA / 68

Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:01 pm

According to the little booklet sent out by Graceland about "Elvis week 2003", the new versions of the "Aloha" and '68 will be released in the last quater of this year, so hang on!
TONY DOBB

Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:27 pm

From EPEs response June 16, 2003........

These are available only through Graceland and are not in distribution elsewhere.

This is not true - I received several e-mails from fanclubs that promote these "new" DVD's without any explanation that they are in fact the old programs once again...I guess it's all about making money. I think a real fanclub should pay attention to inform their members about the reality first of all instead of the greedy attitude of all parties I see now. If people still want to buy them after they're aware that they're buying something they probably already have, FINE. :?