Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

THE ALTERNATE ALOHA CD

Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:30 pm

I keep reading that the mix on this cd is wrong. I 've got it and find the sound is OK.
The only minor fault I find is that Elvis's voice is sometimes a little bit down in the mix.
A part from this the ambience of the show is OK and does not sound as cold as on so many other releases.

The voice is great and Elvis sounds very relaxed; the bonus tracks are not the same as on the official show remixed version which I don' t rate as being that good.

The sleeve notes go to some great length to explain how they mixed the album and Roger Semon appears in the credits.

I think it is a great release.

Another point, the mix of SUSPICIOUS MINDS that appears on the Elvis Show on the 70s Box has the best mix yet. It does not appear anywhere else. On EAP they use a different mix (perhaps the original non remixed version, I don't know)

Regards

Dan

Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:39 pm

Dan-

Thanks for that !

I was beginning to think that I was the only one who thought that 'The Alternate Aloha' was mixed OK !

Perhaps the fact that Elvis' voice is a tad back in the mix on the opening song puts listeners off, and they don't give the rest of the album a chance.

Colin B

Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:44 pm

I also like this album. I haven't listened to it for a while, might stick it on.
I thought the sound was pretty good.

:mrgreen:

Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:57 pm

We do get to hear a more relaxed Elvis during the rehearsal show, but there’s no way I would rate this show as a better performance than the satellite broadcast.
To my ears the mixing on this on this CD was also poor. It will be interesting to see how the show sounds when it is re-issued later this year together with the main performance.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:39 pm

I've seen (and very much enjoyed) the "Alternate Aloha" Video, but have not gotten the CD yet. I suppose I ought to just wait for the forthcoming RCA/BMG "ultimate" Aloha (if that's what it is) but something tells me I'll still have to hunt down that '88 CD because they'll leave something off.

Advice or bets?

Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:53 pm

It’s probably worth waiting until the new track listing is announced, before you try and track down a copy of the 1988 CD, but it is possible that there may be a the odd performance that gets “lost” in the re-issue process. Hopefully everything will be included though.

I bought the Alternate Aloha Cd

Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:56 pm

Hi,

The Alternate Aloha CD was my first Elvis CD way back in 1991. The sound on the CD amazed me after listening to my tapes and old LP's.

But what really blew me away at the time was firstly the sleeve notes that go into a great amount of detail explaining how they mastered the sound for the release. This would be great if they did the sam with all FTD releases.....some food for thought there Ernst.

Secondly, I was amazed that this show had remained locked away in vaults lost until 1988. Now that did blow my mind. I read on the sleeve notes that Dick Baxter was involved in the mix of the album...maybe someone could enlighten me about Mr. Baxter.....is he still alive...and what albums did he work on for Mr Presley.

Best Regards

e.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:58 pm

The show had been available on a bootleg album before RCA released it officially. I think the show remained in the vaults because during Elvis' lifetime they issued the soundtrack from the satellite broadcast, which in my opinion is a better version of the same show, and after that the concert was pretty much surplus to requirements until Elvis passed away, and RCA started to look into unissued material of a releasable standard.

Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:36 am

I noticed the mixingdiffence also between Suspicious Minds on disc 5 of the 70's box, compared to the new 1998 Aloha.
What I don't like is the fact that Charlie's voice is so upfront, it rwally spoils this great version.

Edwin

Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:08 am

That's a good point, as I regularly enjoy "The Elvis Presley Show" disc five and just today heard that version of "Suspicious Minds again and wondered just what was up with Elvis' voice.

I hadn't even noticed that it may not have been him I heard, because all I thought was, "what flat and lazy vocals." For the sake of Elvis in '73, I hope you're right.

I'll have to give it another listen.