Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

American Trilogy - Hampton Roads 1972

Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:45 pm

Did BMG released on cd the version of American Trilogy from the 1972 Hampton Roads concert included in the film soundtrack "This is Elvis"?

Trilogy

Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:52 pm

yes,

This version was included on the double CD, The All Time Greatest Hits, which is still available and was originally released in, I think, 1987.

A brilliant version, by the way, and in the film, the cape shots edited in at the end of the song are really effective. Brings a lump to the throat after the funeral footage.

Cheers!

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:25 pm

I do agree, it's a brilliant version (my favourite, actually). In my opinion, the whole concert deserves a FTD cd. Meanwhile, there are any other recently remastered cd with this version on it? Thanks again.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:32 pm

I thought the "Patriot" cd had that H.R. '72 version on it? Could anyone verify?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:47 pm

James -

This is what I have on this recording:

On 1981 album: This is Elvis - RIAA Gold - with overdubbed strings
On 1987 UK 2-CD set: All Time Greatest Hits
On unofficial 1990 CD: Live in Virginia [whole concert]
On unofficial 1993 CD: The Hampton Concert [whole concert]
On 1994 CD: The Essential Collection - [undubbed ?]
On 2001 US CD single: An American Trilogy/If I Can Dream/America The Beautiful [aka: The Patriot single].

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:52 pm

Thanks Colin, for the complete overview. I found additional track info for the Patriot single cd on this website:

Tracklisting: 1.America the beautiful (recorded live December 13, 1975 at the Las Vegas Hilton) 2.An American trilogy (recorded live April 9, 1972 at the Hampton Roads Coliseum, 8:30 pm show, Hampton Roads Virginia) 3.If I can dream (recorded June 23, 1968 at Western Recorders, Los Angeles, California).

Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:06 pm

gian wrote:I do agree, it's a brilliant version (my favourite, actually). In my opinion, the whole concert deserves a FTD cd. Meanwhile, there are any other recently remastered cd with this version on it? Thanks again.

You're damn right! Put ALL the shows that are recorded for the On Tour movie on FTD (eventually).

Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:14 pm

Albert -

I think Ernst/Roger/BMG are aware of the need for this material to be released.

Their dilemma is whether to do it on the limited FTD label or go the whole hog & release it on the more widely available main BMG label.

The non-appearance of the 'EOT' film isn't helping their decision !

Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:06 pm

I think Ernst/Roger/BMG are aware of the need for this material to be released.
Their dilemma is whether to do it on the limited FTD label or go the whole hog & release it on the more widely available main BMG label.

That's interesting. I'm afraid that the general public wouldn't appreciate the differences between this new material and the live releases from the '70s already available in the stores. What do you think?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:04 pm

gian -

My thinking was that, if there is a 'EOT SE' DVD issued with some publicity, BMG might want to cash in on it with a complementary audio main stream label release, rather than FTD.