Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Big Hunk of Love SPLICED Master

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:48 am

One of my biggest peeves on the modern remastered releases is that none of them, as far as I know, have the proper spliced master of Big Hunk Of Love, they all repeat the mistake made on the 50's box of using a complete take, even on Golden Records Vol II and 30 #1 Hits, which annoys me to no end.

Does someone know what takes were used and where I can find them to make a splice of my own? Not to mention where the splice would go if you know that info?

The best sounding version I have is from Top Ten Hits which sounds pretty decent, but I'd like to get it up to the modern sound quality because IMO this is one of E's most rockin' if not THE most rocking track ever (by anyone.)

Thanks,
BIA

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:18 am

The spliced Master Take is spliced with Take 3 and 4.
It can be found in very good quality on this RCA BMG 2 CD Set:
All Time Greatest Hits", PD90100(2).

Also it is incl. in the early 80's Gold Records Vol.2 RCA CD.
Not the versions from the 90's.

Also incl. in the CD Elvis in Nashville 8468-2-R

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:22 am

Cool Andy. Do you know if that's the order of the splice? I guess I'll be able to tell by the guitar solo & piano solo. Everytime I hear the inferior piano solo on what they now pass off as the master, it just bugs me!

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:31 am

Easy prob to solve...FEB 72 version...Rock"s

:P

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:49 am

BIA wrote:Cool Andy. Do you know if that's the order of the splice? I guess I'll be able to tell by the guitar solo & piano solo. Everytime I hear the inferior piano solo on what they now pass off as the master, it just bugs me!

I gotcha BIA and I totally agree. It's always bugged the sh*t outta me about the same thing.

basically, the whole Master is Take 3, but the splice, Take 4's piano solo, comes in jus as Elvis sings That's right...Uh... (the hiccup thing Elvis does :D ), then BOOM, splice. listen closely and you can actually hear it.

Then, jus be4 the "Your jus a natural born behive...', your back in take 3, ya got me?

hope that helped.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:51 pm

Thanks Minka, this is very helpful.

BIA