Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Hayride Recordings

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:20 am

I'm trying to get a decent collection of Hayride material put together, what releases do I need to have all of what's commonly available?

I currently have:
TheOn The Air release
The Lousiana Hayride Archives Vol. 1 (which premiered Hearts of Stone)
Elvis Raw (which I assume is Hayride)
The Legend Begins
Good Rockin Tonight '55.
+ a disc from a book called The Private Elvis Presey which has some date-notated hayride material
Sunrise, of course

Does this constitue everything?
Also should I just wait until the Sun FTD comes out, is this going to cover hayride as well?

Thanks hepcats,
BIA

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:20 am

You have all good Hayride Material on CD in your collection.
I would suggest to wait till the ultimate FTD SUN Box will come out. There you have everything you need ;-)

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:25 am

Thanks again Andy. I'm currently digitizing my full library and maybe I'll just wait for the FTD rather than try to take those releases and sort the performances out by date and such.

I appreciate your responses.

BIA
TCB in Atlanta, GA

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:58 am

BIA, do you have the 2004 release Good Rockin' Tonight?

It features Rockabilly superheroes Slim Jim Phantom and Lee Rocker, both of the legendary Stray Cats, as well as Danny B. Harvey of the Swing Cats.

here's the pic:

and the tracklist:

1. That's All Right Mama
2. Baby Let's Play House
3. Good Rockin' Tonight
4. Maybellene
5. Blue Moon of Kentucky
6. Tweedle Dee

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:51 pm

Minkahead,

I do have that release, and I'm cool with the idea of what they did, but I have to seriously wonder if there is something wrong with my copy. I swear it sounds like the new overdubs are out of sync with the band. One moment it seems ok then the next moment it just sounds like the overdubs are misplaced or something. I know this does not sound like the result of a defective cd, it's a real mystery to me.

Does anyone else have that impression listening to the disc?

On the other hand I'm a big fan of the Roots Revolution cd which fills hayride perf's out recreating the original arrangements. I think rolling some of the crispness off the EQ of the new parts would make it more convincing, but it still gives you a decent recreation of what it would have been like to see Elvis live with up close seats where you could hear the instruments over the screaming.

BIA

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:42 pm

BIA wrote:Minkahead,

I do have that release, and I'm cool with the idea of what they did, but I have to seriously wonder if there is something wrong with my copy. I swear it sounds like the new overdubs are out of sync with the band. One moment it seems ok then the next moment it just sounds like the overdubs are misplaced or something. I know this does not sound like the result of a defective cd, it's a real mystery to me.

Does anyone else have that impression listening to the disc?

On the other hand I'm a big fan of the Roots Revolution cd which fills hayride perf's out recreating the original arrangements. I think rolling some of the crispness off the EQ of the new parts would make it more convincing, but it still gives you a decent recreation of what it would have been like to see Elvis live with up close seats where you could hear the instruments over the screaming.

BIA

the Roots Revolution cd is, IMHO, one of the best Hayride releases ever put out!!!

alot of love and care went into the preparation, editing, mixing of this release and I think it faithfully reproduces what the original sound of an early Elvis concert would have sounded like.