Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is the Elvis Candy Store almost empty?

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:36 pm

Picture a year from now. Its August 2006. The much talked about "underground" OT & TTWII tapes have found their way into just about every bodys Elvis dvd collection. MGM [ or whoever? ] finally release triple deluxe editions of both movies. Wunderbar! We buy them the minute they become available. So good so far. After a month the first threads appear here on this mb from fans, always hungry for more, demanding MORE unseen film footage...they are in need for a new "fix" . Question is; will there be anything left for dvd releases in the future? And Im not talking about the regular Hollywood titles here! The 1955 concert footage known as ThePied Piper from Cleveland? After 51 years!? Slim chance. No PRO shot film footage is known to excist of him on stage with sound from 56 up to 61. Only silent clips survived so far. And no, theres no Tupelo concert footage with sound. No pro shot Vegas 69 , and zero from 71, 74- 76... Yes, the Colonel was a cheap, stupid sob for not having cameras running at many a good ocasion.Having said that, Elvis nor his buddies ever came up with that idea themselves, save the X- rated ones? So... WHATS LEFT, my dear fellow Elvis fans!?

Re: Is the Elvis Candy Store almost empty?

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:43 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Picture a year from now. Its August 2006. The much talked about "underground" OT & TTWII tapes have found their way into just about every bodys Elvis dvd collection. MGM [ or whoever? ] finally release triple deluxe editions of both movies.

Wouldn't that be nice?

WHATS LEFT, my dear fellow Elvis fans!?

Complete Omaha & Rapid City? Some want it, some don't.

Other than that, do we hear the bottom of the barrel being scraped on pro- shot footage? We'd have to be getting close.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm

Roy orbison tv show....50"s

Any truth on the above or just mith?.

Only thing that i can think off,is to get all his 50"s tv shows out on one DVD...We can all DREAM,zzzzz.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:52 pm

Whatever is going to be released, please don't wait too long. Only 6 1/2 years until I'm 65. :? :roll: :wink:

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:52 pm

Well, the film studios might have outtakes from the films he made. None of it has seen a daylight yet except few on the documentry Elvis In Hollywood. There are concert footage that isn't professional shot although some of it is very good (like MSG stuff). Matching sound to those would be awesome (as some songs have been seen). Apart from that I think that's about it. I'm quite happy that we have so much great material. There are other great acts who don't have even a fraction of that.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:53 pm

What about the interview appearance by Elvis on Jimmy Dean's Washington DC based 'Town and Country' television show on March 14th 1955?? Or pro-shot MSG 1972? I think it's time the US news channels had a root through their archives as there must be stacks of stuff! :D

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:11 pm

I don´t think that the movie companies are holding on to the unreleased material just because there is so little in the can. The market for unreleased Elvis footage will most likely not get better. If they want to make money on what´s left of TTWII and On Tour, they should release it now. The fans (we) want everything, but everything is not possible to use if you want to issue a professional product. For an example, every angle of one song is not of interst - but all versions of every song could be of interest for the fans but not for joe public.

Filmproduction costs a lot more than musicproduction. That is probably why the outtakes have not been released. It does not explain why On Tour has not been released on DVD. There must be some other explanation - maybe publishing rights.

Regarding what is left besides TTWII, EOT and EIC, there is a lot of the fan-footage that could be used and synced with good audio (MSG, Honolulu -72, Pittsburgh and several other -76 concerts). Most likely it will be too expensive for the companies to purchase och license the material though. This is a situation where the ones holding the original footage are actually keeping it from being restored and brought to the rest of the fans. This is too bad - since there is material around that is good enough for prefessional release.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:12 pm

Ger -

You wrote:
And no, theres no Tupelo concert footage with sound.

Well, the shot footage was silent.

But we have the complete audio.

Some very short snippets have appeared with the sound matched.

I wonder if the footage available includes any complete songs ?

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:18 pm

samses wrote:
Filmproduction costs a lot more than musicproduction. That is probably why the outtakes have not been released. It does not explain why On Tour has not been released on DVD. There must be some other explanation - maybe publishing rights.

Regarding what is left besides TTWII, EOT and EIC, there is a lot of the fan-footage that could be used and synced with good audio (MSG, Honolulu -72, Pittsburgh and several other -76 concerts). Most likely it will be too expensive for the companies to purchase och license the material though. This is a situation where the ones holding the original footage are actually keeping it from being restored and brought to the rest of the fans. This is too bad - since there is material around that is good enough for prefessional release.

Yes, the music publishing rights are one thing that has hindered the releases. This happened with TTWII SE, Aloha and Comeback Special.

Pittsburg gig has been available with sound and different camera angles. And some other stuff has been available too. The MSG material looks amazing with a sound taken from a cd. Some of that material is according to EP Collector shot with the Garden's inside camera system which explains why some of it looks professional.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:33 pm

Found this on the internet. It has been posted before but has one or two additions. The list is incomplete, mainly CBS 1977.....

The following is a list of professionally filmed footage that during researching the subject, I
have found to exist in the vaults of EPE (from the original collection of Col Tom Parker) or in the
hands of private collectors around the world.

This list has been compiled after years of searching and researching with the TV companies,
Private Collectors and band members who remember TV or film cameras being present. Each
of the listings have been confirmed to exist by at least 4 different sources.

This is not intended to be the ultimate information on this matter but simply a guide to let the
fans know just what else is out there, waiting to be released.

March 05 1955, The Louisiana Hayride TV Show

March 14 1955, The Town & Country Jubilee

March 19 1955, The Grand Prize Saturday Night Jamboree

May 25 1955, The Meridian Mississippi Parade

May 31 1955, The Roy Orbison Show

June ? 1955, Lubbock Fair Park (Colour)

October 20 1955, Cleveland Brooklyn High School (Colour)
(This was filmed by Universal Pictures)

March 26 to 28 1956 - PARAMOUNT STUDIO SCREEN TEST
"The Rainmaker" + "Blue Suede Shoes" (Colour)

April 23 TO May 06 1956 - The New Frontier, Las Vegas
At least one complete show was filmed

May 15 1956 - Ellis Auditorium, Memphis.

July 04 1956 - Russwood Park, Memphis (Colour)

July 12 to 16 1956 - Candid Footage
Filmed in Biloxi, Mississippi (Colour)

September 26 1956 - Tupelo Mississippi Fairground

October 11 to 13 1956 - Candid Footage
Filmed at Eddie Fadals Home (Colour)

November 25 1956 = Louisville, Kentucky
Local Louiseville TV Show

December 15 1956 - Louisiana Hayride
Show and Backstage Footage (Colour and B/W)

December 31 1956 - The Holiday Hop
This was for Dewey Philips TV Show "POP SHOP"

April 01 1957 - Buffalo, NY.
The Memorial Auditorium

April 02 1957 - Toronto, Canada
Local Toronto TV Show

March 28 1957 - Chicago
Police filmed the whole show at the Chicago Amphitheater

September 20 1957 - Memphis, Tennessee
Appeared on WKNO TV to promote driver education

June 20th to 29th 1968 - NBC
At least 6 hours of out-takes from the NBC TV Special

June 24th & 25th 1968 - NBC
Home movie footage of Elvis jamming in his dressing room

January & February 1969 - Memphis
Footage of Elvis recording at the American Studios in Memphis

July 31st 1969 - Las Vegas
Approximately 12 to 15 minutes of this performance was filmed by NBC.
Although it is rumoured that the bootleg release of this show is taken from film footage which
would indicate the whole show was filmed (unconfirmed).

August 5th 1969 - Las Vegas
From my sources, it appears that only 3 to 5 songs were filmed from this show.

February 17th, 18th 1970 - Las Vegas
There were THREE complete concerts filmed over 2 days + one rehearsal

February 27th 1970 - Houston Astrodome
The Opening show was filmed in it's entirety

* Filming for MGM's "That's The Way It Is"
July 14 1970 - MGM stage 1 Culver city (Rehearsal) *
July 29 1970 - MGM stage 1 Culver city (Rehearsal) *
August 4 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel press conference room (Rehearsal) *
August 6/7 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel showroom (Rehearsal) *
August 10 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel showroom (Rehearsal) *
August 10 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel Opening Show + After Show party *
August 11 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
August 11 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel MS *
August 12 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
August 12 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel MS *
August 13 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
August 14 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
August 15 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
September 9 1970 - Phoenix Veteran memorial coliseum *

August 9th 1971 - Las Vegas
At least 7 performances were filmed during this concert

November 10th 1971 - Boston M.A.
This show was filmed in it's entirety

January 26th 1972 - Las Vegas
2 Cameras filmed Elvis' opening night

** Filming for MGM's "Elvis On Tour"
March 30 1972 - RCA Hollywood studio **
Filmed with MGM film cameras

March 31 1972 - RCA Hollywood studio **

April 05 1972 - Buffalo N.Y Hotel conference room **

April 05 1972 (8:30 pm). - Buffalo, NY. **
Filmed using a mobile video camera

April 9 1972 - Hampton, VA. (2 concerts) **

April 10 1972 (8:30 pm) - Richmond, VA **

April 13 1972 (8:30 pm). - Charlotte, NC. **

April 14 1972. (8:30 pm). - Greensboro, NC. **

April 16 1972. - Jacksonville, FL. (2 concerts) **
+ after show filmed with MGM film cameras

April 18 1972. (8:30 pm) - San Antonio, TX. **

June 09 1972 - Madison Square Garden, NY
There is approximately 40 minutes of professional footage

November 18 1972 - The H.I.C. Arena, Honolulu, Hawaii
At least 4 songs were filmed during this show

January 26 1973 - Las Vegas
A minimum of 7 songs from this concert is on film and in the hands of a collector

May 11 1974 - The Forum, L.A.
The evening show was filmed in it's entirety

March 20 1974 - Midsouth Coliseum, Memphis, Tn
2 cameras filmed this show. Camera 1 caught only the first 8 minutes but Camera 2 captured
an estimated 95% of the entire concert.

May 05 1975 - State Fair Coliseum, Jackson Ms
Local TV filmed backstage and parts of this benefit concert for the victims of the Tornado that
hit Jackson, Mississippi.

July 13 1975 - Convention Center, Niagara Falls, NY.
New York TV cameras filmed at least 4 songs from this show

November 30 1976 - Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, CA
2 mobile video cameras on tripods caught this entire show on film

June 17 1977 - Southwest Mo. State Univ, Springfield, MO
CBS used 2 mobile video cameras for this performance in preparation for the full

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:46 pm

This is a very interesting topic and it has been discussed many times on this board and on ther sites. I have got the Pittsburgh footage and the MSG footage. I think both very fan.shot, but the MSG footage is very good fan footage. This footage could be used if it was restored professionally.

Regarding the list Delboy posted, I have seen it and know where it is from. I can not say that it is a "wish-list only", but it seems strange if it existed that much pro-shot footage without anything of it being released. I have never read an ything about this footage in the "big books" like Guralnick and Jorgensen.

EP collector seems to have a lot of information and maybe he could share information. If I´m not wrong I believed he confirmed that Boston -71 wasx pro-shot. The question is - by who? Maybe he can comment the whole list?

Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:04 pm

It would be better if everything was released and the cans completely empty.

That way you have transparency. The message would be: This is Elvis- Like it or lump it, but it sure is Elvis.

And not a merchandised duck.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:13 pm

First of all I like to know whos responsible for this list? any idea Delboy?? Why isnt the footage of Elvis performing Uncle Pen [ color with sound ] not on the list?! Seriously this list is rubbish. No more than 3-4 minutes were shot in Chicago, 57. Louisville, Ky, same story! Im not going to study this list. We should know better by now. Its 2005 not the early 80s, when these rumours were spread by comedians. A portion on that list does exist , we know because weve seen it . A lot is wishful thinking, Im afraid...

Hi

Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:52 pm

After OT and TTWII the bottom of the barrel looks indeed in sight. What a horrendous thought btw. Major findings seem to me out of the question, we would at least know about it, movie cameras tend to draw attention you know.
The only things that we know of are movie songs that were left out, confirmed by Turner entertainement that SOME exist at least.
Things might pop up even now of course. When The Great Performances came out in 1990, we didn't even know about the existence of the Blue Suede Shoes screentest, we only knew about the ''normal'' screentest, btw where is that one??

Amateur footage is in abundance, I know of a mega collector who has footage of Elvis dining in a restaurant in late 1970 dressed in his crushed velvet suit. Not that would be awesome for us fans to see, but would the general public really care? I doubt it.

What a shame that landmark performances from Tupelo '56, Hawaii/Memphis 1961, Vegas '69, Memphis 1974, etc. weren't filmed in its entirety. A lot of press conference footage is still to be released, but it's been so long now that I doubt we will ever see it.
Local TV stations have nothing, I have checked so many of them, as well as many other collectors, they usually threw away all stuff every now and then.

From a report I have from a local newspaper in Houston you can read that Elvis' arrival in Houston 1970 was shown on tv!!! Elvis arrives and says ''I thought we were going somewhere'' commenting on the small room where he finds himself in. But that footage seems lost forever.
In 1974 on LA TV he was shown arriving at the venue, once again, lost forever.

If EPE come through in 2007 with their Anthology some things might pop up, but indeed I think we have ransacked the candy store for the most part. But hey, all good things must come to an end. The good thing is that we have a LOT, considering that his career lasted appr. 20 years.
Some fans consider the amount of concert footage that was filmed from 1969-1977 not much, but 2 documentaries covering 10 shows and 4 shows in its entirety (2 from 1973 and 2 from 1977) isn't really THAT bad.
Of course I would have liked that more was filmed but when you look at other big names in the business, years go by before anything is filmed, so if we are realistic we really cannot complain.

And you know the idea that somewhere one day they might find The Pied Piper in pristine quality or any other footage will keep us going for a long, long time.
Long live the king.
Cheers
Simon

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:22 pm

At this stage we know of more outtake footage then we did ten years ago. The situation is actually much better today than before. Noeone will of course release all the footage in its present form. It has to be edited into professional footage, but the available outtakes will last for quite some time even if Turner decides to release a Deluxe DVD set from On tour. The footage will most likely last for several issues. The same goes for TTWII. We could have several complete (or at least complete for TTWII) concerts from each of the movies. It is actually as fantastic as sad that there is so much footage yet to be released.

Re: Hi

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:39 pm

Simon1 wrote:After OT and TTWII the bottom of the barrel looks indeed in sight. What a horrendous thought btw.

Is it?

Knowing we have ALL of the footage has to be better than knowing it's out there rotting away and we can't get it.

I'll gladly take the former over the latter anyday.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:43 pm

I have to believe that all of the footage will not be released at one time, meaning if EOT is released, I'm sure they will save some for another release.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:48 pm

I think you should take a look at Christian´s website:

http://elvis-rare-footage.forumactif.co ... vaults.htm

These are my bets for the near future and the so waited DVD "Elvis Anthology" in 2007...
Will it happen? Any info??

Best Regards
Renan.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:56 pm

Mucho thanks, Simon , for making it clear theres little to none to exspect from local tv stations in The States. I remember clearly in our telephone conversations youve often mentioned having tried to get hold of the right people at US tv stations trying to locate newsreels featuring The Man...And by doing so spending weekly salaries to the Telephone Company! And all for the love for Elvis. Youve done some great work, man! Now hand over the LA Forum live footage from 1970 youve been sitting on for so long!

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:58 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Mucho thanks, Simon , for making it clear theres little to none to exspect from local tv stations in The States. I remember clearly in our telephone conversations youve often mentioned having tried to get hold of the right people at US tv stations trying to locate newsreels featuring The Man...And by doing so spending weekly salaries to the Telephone Company! And all for the love for Elvis. Youve done some great work, man! Now hand over the LA Forum live footage from 1970 youve been sitting on for so long!

Is it true?? LA 1970??

Hi

Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:11 pm

I am no longer searching in The States Ger as I never found anything worthwile, but most of the excitement and fun is looking for the stuff.
Thanks for the kind words btw, rare footage will always be my favorite hobby. As for that LA Forum footage I thought it was understood that should remain our secret :wink:
You may have started a buzz now among fans...Anyway, I am keeping it for myself, I am looking at it now, oh man, see him move with that long fringe suit.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:24 pm

DID I MISS SOMETHING!? Elvis Anthology dvd set in 2007 ? Ive seen it mentioned a couple o times now on this topic and elsewhere... Wishful thinking again? The beauty of that Beatles Anthology was the boys handing over much of their privatly shot double and super 8 films for inclusion. The tv set shot in private at Graceland is a different story all together! [ Steve_ M, dont you dare, you rascal you!]

Hi

Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:32 pm

While on the topic of The Beatles, Dutch collector/professional Fenno Werkman has over a 1.000 hours of Beatles footage :roll: He was even assisted in finding footage by the late John Lennon and Sir Paul McCartney. He has for instance footage of The Beatles at Jukebox Jury, even the BBC doesnt have that! We need a man in the Elvis World like that, looking all over the world for footage, along the same lines as Ernst does audio-wise.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:24 pm

Well, you made a start, Simon. Its not your fault if the other side dont co-operate! And shhhooottt, The Beatles and their manager took pride in their work and were much closer to the fans than Parker would aloud Elvis to be. Can you imagine sitting down with Elvis talking about his music in general, busty blondes, the coolest size for sideburns, and than pop the question ;"Hey El, do you happen to have any private film we could borrow for a while. Were putting together a documentary on yuor life,and...." Were a little too late for that, and cardboard Pris and her surrounding baracudas dont have a frikkin clue whats happening in the world of Elvis Fandom! Presley by the Presleys...? Get real.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:29 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Picture a year from now. Its August 2006. The much talked about "underground" OT & TTWII tapes have found their way into just about every bodys Elvis dvd collection. MGM [ or whoever? ] finally release triple deluxe editions of both movies. Wunderbar! We buy them the minute they become available. So good so far. After a month the first threads appear here on this mb from fans, always hungry for more, demanding MORE unseen film footage...they are in need for a new "fix" . Question is; will there be anything left for dvd releases in the future? And Im not talking about the regular Hollywood titles here! The 1955 concert footage known as ThePied Piper from Cleveland? After 51 years!? Slim chance. No PRO shot film footage is known to excist of him on stage with sound from 56 up to 61. Only silent clips survived so far. And no, theres no Tupelo concert footage with sound. No pro shot Vegas 69 , and zero from 71, 74- 76... Yes, the Colonel was a cheap, stupid sob for not having cameras running at many a good ocasion.Having said that, Elvis nor his buddies ever came up with that idea themselves, save the X- rated ones? So... WHATS LEFT, my dear fellow Elvis fans!?

Ger's so right. He sums up in part my response to John Gael's recent
"What's the big deal about EOT?" query.

Someday the Elvis "candy store" will be fully ransacked, but I'm fine
with it. If anything, most of us would prefer to die knowing we saw
nearly all of it. Holding back and going slow will deprive some fans of
this material - as well as endangering the actual films or tapes which
may be not be able to survive forever in storage.