Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rare album find????

Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:50 am

I just recently picked up the vinyl album "Always On My Mind". I know, no big deal. Plenty of those around. But mine is on black vinyl!
I have four price books and they all state that EVERY album of this title was released on purple vinyl.
Is this something odd or rare or have the price guides overlooked the black vinyl. I don't think the album was ever re-issued. I think there was just one printing and that was with the 50th anniversary label.
Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

jeff R

Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:01 am

It could've been an initial pressing before they used the purple wax. Or it may actually not be black vinyl -- hold the disc up to a light and see.

Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:13 am

It is definitely black vinyl. My wife and I both examined it and there was no tint of any other color. I used to have all the 50th anniversary vinyl albums that were in color.
I got an e-mail from someone on this board and he had mentioned that the re-issues were on black vinyl. I'm not aware of any re-issues of this album. Why wouldn't all my current price guides list a price for black vinyl? Very strange to me. I'm also not aware of BMG re-issuing any of the mid-to-late vinyl albums. Even if they did, wouldn't they have changed the number or went back to the standard record label? This one has the 50th Anniversay logo that they used in the mid-80's.
Thanks for your response but it definitely is black.

jeff R

Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:41 pm

I have the "Always On My Mind" album, on clear vinyl.

KEEP ON ROCKIN'

Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:57 pm

I checked my album. On the back cover AND the record label, it says "printed in the USA."
If it was pressed in Germany, it would state that, correct?

jeff R

Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:47 pm

I have this Album on CD. :lol:

:oops:

LP

Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:20 am

THE U.S. DID A 2ND PRESSING AND IT WAS ON BLACK RELEASED IN AUG. OF 85, A VERY SHORT PRESSING ,ACCORDDING TO PRESLEYANA IN MINT WITH ALL STICKERS WORTH $50.00 :wink:

Re: Rare album find????

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:03 am

jeffreyjames wrote:I just recently picked up the vinyl album "Always On My Mind". I know, no big deal. Plenty of those around. But mine is on black vinyl!
I have four price books and they all state that EVERY album of this title was released on purple vinyl.
Is this something odd or rare or have the price guides overlooked the black vinyl. I don't think the album was ever re-issued. I think there was just one printing and that was with the 50th anniversary label.
Thanks.

jeff R

hi this usa pressing was first released in purple vinyl..the a very limited run was in blk vinyl (the rarer)
Other colors such clear vinyl were from germany.
Al the best.
bruno Pause
Italy

Re: Rare album find????

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:04 am

jeffreyjames wrote:I just recently picked up the vinyl album "Always On My Mind". I know, no big deal. Plenty of those around. But mine is on black vinyl!
Thanks.

jeff R

hi this usa pressing was first released in purple vinyl..then a very limited run was in blk vinyl (the rarer)
Other colors such clear vinyl were from germany.
All the best.
bruno Pause
Italy

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:12 am

Jeff, they also issued Elvis' Christmas Album--AFM1-5486 on black vinyl. Barry

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:46 am

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It still seems strange that the latest up-to-date price guides don't list the black vinyl.
I guess the black vinyl isn't anything to get too excited about.
Again, thanks.

jeff R

Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:42 am

I have a question pertaining to vinyl but not this album. Which LP is the rare one (Moody Blue) blue or black?? Thanks..sorry I didn't create a new post!

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:27 am

ALT+CTRL+DEL
Last edited by vinyljunkie on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:29 pm

Moody Blue in UK is certainly a lot more rare on blue, rather than black, it's even more rare with the two stickers.
Even more rare is Moody Blue on other colour vinyl, Red, Green, Yellow etc. Worth a lot of money if you have one of these.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:23 pm

ALT+CTRL+DEL
Last edited by vinyljunkie on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:11 pm

ImageImageImage
Ernie Ruggieri worked his way up through RCA’s manufacturing division (1935 - 1980), starting his career as a punch operator in the press room and ending it as Division Vice President in charge of all manufacturing. Ernie was always full of new ideas and very instrumental in many of the color vinyl and picture discs produced for artists in the 1970’s. After Elvis’s death in 1977, Ernie worked directly with his staff on various Elvis experimental records. With the demand for existing Elvis records expanding and Ernie’s retirement approaching, most of these brilliant ideas remained on his shelf or hung on the walls in his office. Now almost 20 years later, his collection of memories has been found and opened for the first time.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Swedish on Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:11 pm

Nice multi-colour version of the Moody Blue LP.
I have never heard of or seen that pressing.
Nice indeed!!!

Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:43 pm

Swedish wrote:Ernie Ruggieri worked his way up through RCA’s manufacturing division (1935 - 1980), starting his career as a punch operator in the press room and ending it as Division Vice President in charge of all manufacturing. Ernie was always full of new ideas and very instrumental in many of the color vinyl and picture discs produced for artists in the 1970’s. After Elvis’s death in 1977, Ernie worked directly with his staff on various Elvis experimental records. With the demand for existing Elvis records expanding and Ernie’s retirement approaching, most of these brilliant ideas remained on his shelf or hung on the walls in his office. Now almost 20 years later, his collection of memories has been found and opened for the first time.

I feel that vinyljunkie has a very good point here. I have been collecting for many years and seen quite many items claimed to be the real thing. And items like this seems to pop up now and then. One day there's an unknown ABBA LP in white vinyl, the next day a red Beatles LP. ANd what's most interesting is that these always pops up many years after a matrix is sold at an auction or stolen from a record plant.

I don't say that these ELvis LP's are not the real thing, but they might be fakes as most other items out there that are said to be given to special employees and made in very low quantities.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:49 pm

Sorry Vinyljunkie, when I said "Moody Blue" on blue vinyl is rare in the UK, I meant the American pressing in the UK. Plus I was told, that if it has the stickers on "The Blue Album" and "Includes Moody Blue & Way Down" it is worth more money. I have seen a copy of the "red vinyl", so believe me, the colours exist. They are just very rare.

I have a couple of copy's of the American blue vinyl, one with stickers, and one without.