Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:31 am

I agree 100 % with Del. Elvis Country just has something about it that makes you come back again & again. Elvis really puts across the tearjerker ballads, but there's also some pretty great rock-ups on this lp. Personally, I think it's the equal of From Elvis In Memphis, but doesn't get that lp's attention. Tomorrow Never Comes is a masterpiece!

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:29 am

Matthews list is, except for a few song, the exact list i would choose. the thing is, i think that there has been less promotion of 50s than 70s, this gives the public the impression Elvis was at an all time low in the 70s, so they say 'well we should forget it'. i just wish that was'nt so. Elvis done some of the best music he ever did in the 70s, and the public is missing out on it. even walk a mile in my shoes-the boxset should've got them out. i've shown some pics to my class mates Elvis from TTWII and they say, is he fat there?OMG! as if! i say, the general misconception is-Elvis with long black hair and sideburns in a jumpsuit is fat to them, but he was really in peak position at that time. people just don't see it that way. oooooooooo! :roll:

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:04 am

Pete Dube wrote: Tomorrow Never Comes is a masterpiece!

Great tune and amazing vocal!!!

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:35 am

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the studio version of "Just Pretend" :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:36 am

Liverbobs wrote:Can't believe nobody has mentioned the studio version of "Just Pretend" :shock: :shock: :shock:

man, what a great track that song ... um, um...

what's it called, oh, JUST PRETEND, yeh that's it! :lol:

great **** tune!

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:44 am

he he i think thats the best way to put it minkahed, one of his best. i don't think he put more passion in to a song than that one

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:51 am

Liverbobs wrote:Can't believe nobody has mentioned the studio version of "Just Pretend" :shock: :shock: :shock:

It`s not only the studio version of this masterpiece..also any live performances are oustanding..one of my all time favs......

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:59 am

Rob wrote:After recently touring Studio B in Nashville, it made me visualize these recording sessions while listening the The Nashville Marathon FTD.

Envious isn't the word. I'm determined to visit Studio B. Hope to go next year. :D

Studio B

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:32 pm

Hey Rob, what was it like in Studio B? That's one of the places I'll be going when I visit the States next month, as well as Graceland and Sun!

Kind regards,

Bryan

Re: Studio B

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:57 pm

heathbarclay wrote:Hey Rob, what was it like in Studio B? That's one of the places I'll be going when I visit the States next month, as well as Graceland and Sun!

Kind regards,

Bryan

Have a great time, your gonna LOVE IT!!!

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:49 am

heathbarclay wrote:Hey Rob, what was it like in Studio B? That's one of the places I'll be going when I visit the States next month, as well as Graceland and Sun!

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago called My Trip To Memphis. Check that out. It was great. I couldn't believe that I was standing in the same spot Elvis did when he recorded Are You Lonesome Tonight, It's Now Or Never, Just Pretend, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Make The World Go Away, Early Morning Rain, etc.

I also got to play the same piano that Elvis did when he recorded It's Still Here.

It is so easy now to visualize the surroundings when listening to the Studio B and Nashville Marathon FTD's (and others.)

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:55 am

Rob wrote:

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago called My Trip To Memphis. Check that out. It was great. I couldn't believe that I was standing in the same spot Elvis did when he recorded Are You Lonesome Tonight, It's Now Or Never, Just Pretend, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Make The World Go Away, Early Morning Rain, etc.

I also got to play the same piano that Elvis did when he recorded It's Still Here.

It is so easy now to visualize the surroundings when listening to the Studio B and Nashville Marathon FTD's (and others.)

Did you actually play (and sing) It's Still Here on that piano?

Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:01 am

No.

If I recall correctly, I believe the classic tune that I played was Mary Had A Little Lamb.

It was the same piano though.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:03 am

Rob wrote:No.

If I recall correctly, I believe the classic tune that I played was Mary Had A Little Lamb.

It was the same piano though.

oh, that sucks...

at least you tried guy!!! :P

Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:43 pm

Matthew wrote:I think the studio version of Patch It Up is an AWESOME rock track! And most rock classics have ever so slightly dodgy lyrics.

It's cool, but I think the TTWII live version trumps it - the groove is much looser for one thing.

Jules

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:09 am

Actually when I started this thread i wanted opinions on which credible recording Elvis made during the 70's - n ot only the sessions. I agree that from a session point of view, Elvis was at his 70's peak in the 1970 June sessions. He was still hungry and had more good songs than in later years, even though the june 70 sessions included songs that should not have been recorded (Padre etc.). Later on Elvis did not have control on what material that was brought to him - the "great up to date manager" went on with his carny methods and the songwriters took their good songs elsewhere. The difference between 1970 and the -69 sessions regarding the quality of the songs is quite big due to Parker.

The point is however that Elvis did credible studio work on all his sessions in the 1970's, more on some and less on some. At EVERY session there is at least one song that is a good song and has a good Elvis performance. This is something that BMG could consider, since Elvis' studio work in the 70's is very underrated. Why not release "Elvis-the essential 70's masters".

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:17 pm

they already have on a 5 cd set, called walk a mile in my shoes-the essential 70s masters, released 10 years ago. yet they can minimise it to a 1 or 2cd set for more publicity

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:41 pm

samses wrote:even though the june 70 sessions included songs that should not have been recorded (Padre etc.).

Padre was from '71.

Jules

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:35 pm

Imagine a rock album from Nashville 1970-71 recordings :

A SIDE

1- I didn´t make it on playing guitar (Instrum.)
2- Merry Xmas Baby (7 min. version)
3- I washed my hands in muddy water (undubbed)
4- I really don´t want to know
5- Whole lotta shakin´ (uncut)
6- Patch it up
7- It´s Only love

B-SIDE
8- Cindy, Cindy
9- The Fool
10- Faded Love
11- Got My mojo workin´ (unedited / uncut)
12- Fools rush in
13- Lady Madonna
14- Mystery Train / Tiger Man (instrum)

That would have been a true credible studio work!
I´ve also created a cover for that tracklist at http://www.tcb-world.com called "FEELIN´ MIGHTY FINE"! 8)

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:50 pm

Twenty Days and Twenty Nights
Bridge over Troubled Water
How the Web Was Woven
Stranger in the Crowd
I'll Never Know
Mary in the Morning
It Ain't No Big Thing
Just Pretend
I Really Don't Want to Know
Faded Love
Tomorrow Never Comes
The Next Step Is Love
Funny How Time Slips Away
I Washed My Hand in Muddy Water
If I Were You
Patch It Up
Where Did They Go, Lord?
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
Rags to Riches
Early Morning Rain
Merry Christmas, Baby
An Evening Prayer
Seeing Is Believing
It's Still Here
I'm Leavin'
It's Only Love
Separate Ways
Burning Love
Always on My Mind
It's a Matter of Time
I've Got a Thing About You Baby
You Asked Me To
If You Talk in Your Sleep
Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues
Promised Land
Susan When She Tried
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Tiger Man
Shake a Hand
Pieces of My Life
She Thinks I Still Care
For the Heart
Hurt
Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain
Way Down
Pledging My Love

I'd vote for all of these and more (these are studio recordings only).

Jules

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:43 pm

familyjules wrote:
samses wrote:even though the june 70 sessions included songs that should not have been recorded (Padre etc.).

Padre was from '71.

Jules

Sorry and embarassing. I should have done my Jorgensen.