Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Credible studio work in the 70's

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:41 pm

Music interested people (including music journalists) outside the Elvis fans circle are often of the opinion that Elvid did credible studio work in the -50’s (especially at Sun and Heartbreak hotel, Hound dog, All shook up, Jailhouse rock...), and on the sessions for Elvis is Back and on the Memphis -69 sessions (Ghetto, Suspicious minds... ). As often mentioned on this forum, Elvis in the seventies was and still is underrated. Focus is almost always put on Elvis live (Vegas) appearances and the way he looked. Many seem quite convinced that Elvis did no credible studio work in the -70’s. This is of course wrong and I have tried to list some of the recordings that I think are the strongest -70’s studio songs. To be included in the list of high credible 70’s recordings, it must be a good song where Elvis did an outstanding job that would change the common view of his 70’s studio work. What do y’all think of a compilation of Elvis most credible 70’s studio work? Since the 70’s Elvis seems to attract many new fans, this could be an idea for Sony/BMG. Videos can be made to some of the songs.

My opinion of Elvis’ most credible studio work in the 70’s contains (chronological order):

1. Bridge over troubled water
2. I washed my hands in muddy waters
3. Whole lotta shakin’ going on
4. Merry Christmas baby
5. Separate Ways
6. Burning love
7. Fool
8. Always on my mind
9. Find out what´s happening
10. Just a little bit
11. For Ol’ times sake
12. Loving arms
13. Good time Charlie’s got the blues
14. Promised land
15. T-R-O-U-B-L-E
16. Pieces of my life
17. Danny boy
18. Way down

What do you think?

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:50 pm

It is not that Elvis' studio work is underrated but instead comparitively rare.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:53 pm

Steve_M wrote:It is not that Elvis' studio work is underrated but instead comparitively rare.

Steve,

What do you mean?

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:56 pm

Well the volume of good quality stuff was greater in the 50's and 60's not because the 70's stuff wasn't good just that there was less of it, he just didn't go into the studio as much. Hence when comparing the 70's studio work it is rarer than the 50's and 60's.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:04 pm

These are what I consider to be the best studio recordings from the 70s - it happened by chance that there are 30!

I've Lost You
The Fool
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Mary In The Morning
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
I Really Don't Want To Know
Faded Love
Funny How Time Slips Away
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
Patch It Up
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Amazing Grace (70's boxset version)
Merry Christmas Baby (undubbed version)
I'm Leavin'
It's Only Love
Seperate Ways
Burning Love
It's Midnight
You Asked Me To
If You Talk In Your Sleep
Loving Arms
Promised Land
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Pieces Of My Life
She Thinks I Still Care (take 2B)
Moody Blue
Hurt
Way Down
He'll Have To Go

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:16 pm

I don´t dare to say it but personally I prefer Elvis`studio recorded music from 1968 on ....

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:20 pm

I've never tried to analyse it, but for me I think it would be 68-70, then 60-63, then 56-58, then 71-73 then 54-55, 74-76, 64-67 I can't believe that would be last given the gems it contained but rather than last i put them all joint first but just in that order :lol:

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:22 pm

Matthew wrote:These are what I consider to be the best studio recordings from the 70s - it happened by chance that there are 30!

I've Lost You - good, but not credible, overblown and song not good enough
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Mary In The Morning - maybe without overdubs
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, no - song not good enough
I Really Don't Want To Know - very good, maybe crediblr
Faded Love - maybe credible
Funny How Time Slips Away - song not good enough
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
Patch It Up - very good, you are right on this one -studio version of course
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - song not good enough
Amazing Grace (70's boxset version) - credible on a gospel album but not from a mainstream point of view.
Merry Christmas Baby (undubbed version)
I'm Leavin' - you are right, I forgot it
It's Only Love - no, Elvis did it in too a hig key
Seperate Ways
Burning Love
It's Midnight - maybe, but I think it is too overblown
You Asked Me To - no, song not good enough
If You Talk In Your Sleep - yes, forgot this one
Loving Arms
Promised Land
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Pieces Of My Life
She Thinks I Still Care (take 2B) - maybe, but I doubt that the song is good enough
Moody Blue - maybe, but I don´t think the song is good enough
Hurt
Way Down
He'll Have To Go

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:31 pm

samses - that's why we all have our own views, adds variety. I would say I've Lost You wipes the floor with songs like Fool, which I don't really care for myself. Funny How Time Slips Away features some AWESOME guitar work which in the context of studio recordings makes the grade in my book - I am a guitarist though which attracts me to it anyway.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:15 pm

You're right. I was looking for other opinions. Everybody is entitled to their own view and there is no right or wrong. It seems though that we agree on most of the songs. You´re right about the guitar work. I am also a guitarist and a great fan of James B.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:30 pm

samses wrote:I am also a guitarist and a great fan of James B.

Cool, what sort of style/gear to you use?

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:39 pm

Gibson Les Paul junior and a Marshall 50 W combo (new).

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:41 pm

Steve_M wrote:I've never tried to analyse it, but for me I think it would be 68-70, then 60-63, then 56-58, then 71-73 then 54-55, 74-76, 64-67 I can't believe that would be last given the gems it contained but rather than last i put them all joint first but just in that order :lol:

A very interesting question, and one I was just asking myself yesterday. If I had to limit myself to Elvis' studio work, and rank which years are my personal favorites (keeping in mind that the years at the bottom of the list are in no ways "bad" - like a live performance of "Hurt - almost all at the same level of quality, but some that rise even farther above that), my list might be as follows:

1976 Graceland
December 1973 Stax
July 1973 Stax
March 1972 Hollywood
June/September 1970 Nashville
May 1971 Nashville
Various movie sessions 1963-1969
1966-1968 Nashville non-soundtrack sessions
June 1958
1960 Elvis is Back sessions
May 1963 - Nashville Sessions
1969 American Sound Studio Sessions
1960-1962 Movie sessions (except "Blue Hawaii", "World's Fair", "Girls!
Girls! Girls!")
Pot Luck Sessions
Something for Everybody Sessions
1958 King Creole material
1957 Studio (non-soundtrack) sessions
1956 Studio (non-soundtrack) sessions
Jailhouse Rock sessions
Loving You/Love Me Tender material
Sun Sessions

Off the top of my head that'd be my list. I guess you might say that, given the option of listening to Elvis studio material, this is the order in which I'd prefer to listen to it.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:42 pm

Gibson Nighthawk Special through a Matamp 30W combo...

...hmmm, seperate new thread me feels!

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:33 am

samses wrote:You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, no - song not good enough
'Patch It Up' - very good, you are right on this one -studio version of course
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - song not good enough

Performances vary but when it comes to quality of material surely 'Patch It Up' is rooted at the bottom of that list? :D

Great topic though! For Elvis' best studio work in the 70's pick any track from 'Elvis Country'. 8)

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:45 am

[/quote]
Performances vary but when it comes to quality of material surely 'Patch It Up' is rooted at the bottom of that list? :D

Great topic though! For Elvis' best studio work in the 70's pick any track from 'Elvis Country'. 8)[/quote]

Why do you say that? Just wondering...

bpd

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:11 am

bpd wrote:Why do you say that? Just wondering...bpd

bpd,

I just think that June 1970 was when we saw the last of Elvis at his best in a studio environment, and 'Elvis Country' was the pick of the crop. For me you can pick any track, it is a truely superlative album!

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:19 am

Delboy wrote:
bpd wrote:Why do you say that? Just wondering...bpd

bpd,

I just think that June 1970 was when we saw the last of Elvis at his best in a studio environment, and 'Elvis Country' was the pick of the crop. For me you can pick any track, it is a truely superlative album!

I won't argue with that.

bpd

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:27 am

I think the studio version of Patch It Up is an AWESOME rock track! And most rock classics have ever so slightly dodgy lyrics.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:41 am

Delboy wrote:I just think that June 1970 was when we saw the last of Elvis at his best in a studio environment, and 'Elvis Country' was the pick of the crop. For me you can pick any track, it is a truely superlative album!

I couldn't agree more. After recently touring Studio B in Nashville, it made me visualize these recording sessions while listening the The Nashville Marathon FTD. What great sessions these were. Elvis was never this good in the recording studio again.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:56 am

Rob wrote:
Delboy wrote:I just think that June 1970 was when we saw the last of Elvis at his best in a studio environment, and 'Elvis Country' was the pick of the crop. For me you can pick any track, it is a truely superlative album!

I couldn't agree more. After recently touring Studio B in Nashville, it made me visualize these recording sessions while listening the The Nashville Marathon FTD. What great sessions these were. Elvis was never this good in the recording studio again.

I kinda agree with ya on the '70 sessions being hard to beat, but how much greter could Elvis be on trax like PROMISED LAND from '73?

IMHO, That has to be one of the absolute BEST recordings Elvis ever put to tape.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:02 am

Good track, yes. However, we are talking about overall sessions. Your 1973 session falls short of the June 1970 sessions.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:14 am

Rob wrote:Good track, yes. However, we are talking about overall sessions. Your 1973 session falls short of the June 1970 sessions.

you maybe right, you maybe wrong, but of course, it's all subjective.

I tend to find the December 1973 "Stax" sessions more interesting and creative in terms of diversity and style.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:21 am

Sometimes you worry me, young man.

However, to each his own.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:01 am

Rob wrote:Sometimes you worry me, young man.

However, to each his own.

why would that "Worry You"?...

One man's coffee is another man's tea...

to each his own? you damn right! :wink: