Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Burning love live

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:42 pm

I think that Elvis never did this song as good live as in the studio and I know that he didn´t like the song when he was to record it. He did not use it very much in his live act - considering that it was a major hit.

I think that one major reason that the song sounded different live (and not as good in my opinion) is the bass playing. Emory Gordy played the bass line in a more laid back way, while Jerry S. playing is more of power drive (which suited many Elvis songs well, but not this song). Therefore the song was played to fast live with Jerry pushing the beat instead of holding it back.

Watching the EOT outtakes gives the same feeling. On the march rehearsals (Gordy on bass), the song sounds like in the studio. On the Buffalo it is much faster with another beat (Jerry S. on bass).

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:53 pm

I hear a bit of echo on the studio cut which works with Burning Love ... adds a fullness to the song, a needed punch if you will.

The live versions always sound thin, and you're left trying to groove to repetitive simple lyrics ... not my favourite live song.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:58 pm

The live versions from 1975 are the most rockin" versions..when he seems to be in the mood to rock,this is the song he sung.

There is afan from ozz who just loves the studio version and the end esp,that there is a story going about that "they" have a tattoo with the end bit...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH love baby...somewere on there persons ?.

:P :twisted:

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:00 am

Samses;

Spot on! I've always felt the exact same thing regarding Burning Love in studio vs Burning Love live!

There's more punch in the studio version, and especially the intro in the live versions lacks something...

But as stated by others; I agree that some of the 75 live versions rocks!

Br
Kristian

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:23 am

Actually my favorite live version would be the Tuscon 76 version. I like how he extends the ending with the repeated Burning Love line over and over while the Sweets are puttin the soul to it. Great performance on that song. But the audience sounds like they were asleep or bored. Sound very quiet in other words.

I also love the way he sings BL in Greensboro 72. It's really a fats rockin performance. He does all three verses in that one while only 2 verses in the Live In Texas show.

To me, Aloha is the slowest version yet. It seems like all the fast songs in Aloha are slower paced and toned down than usual. I guess that was for the overall tv audience that saw it. Still a great show!

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:57 am

Lakeisha wrote:I also love the way he sings BL in Greensboro 72.

First live performance of the song. Unfortunately he had to read the words to it, but it is still a good version regardless.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:02 am

Rob wrote:
Lakeisha wrote:I also love the way he sings BL in Greensboro 72.

First live performance of the song. Unfortunately he had to read the words to it, but it is still a good version regardless.

I agree, the First version sung in Greensboro smokes...

I do, however really like the shorter, "Live In TEXAS", too, especially the visual performance in the ON TOUR film.

there sumthin' about the Aloha versions that seem to be subdued, or lack enthusiasm, or fire, if you will. I still like them, jus not my first choice for favourite.

the '75 Live versions are sumthin' else. the Memphis June 10 version is, IMHO, flawless. You could tell me all day long that Elvis didn't like the song, or couldn't stand singing it, but Elvis seems to have rediscovered this song 3 years after the fact and really came alive with the vocal.

a freakin' shame the recording was not a multi-track!!!

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:10 am

I think Elvis did like "Burning Love". He probably wasn't in the mood to cut a rock'n'roll song at that recording session - remember, this wasn't Elvis in his happiest period - but that doesn't mean he thought this particular song was bad. The live versions from 1975 and indees the studio master hardly suggest that he didn't like it! I'd say it's just another myth.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:00 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I think Elvis did like "Burning Love". He probably wasn't in the mood to cut a rock'n'roll song at that recording session - remember, this wasn't Elvis in his happiest period - but that doesn't mean he thought this particular song was bad. The live versions from 1975 and indees the studio master hardly suggest that he didn't like it! I'd say it's just another myth.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Keith,

Maybe you´re right that it was Elvis mood in march-72 that made him less enthusiastic about up-tempo songs. He seems to like the song on the EOT rehearsals though. I also think that the power versions from -75 are the best LIVE versions, but I still think that the studio version is superior with a very special, heavy beat and punch. As I said, the bass line was plaid different live, but also James B. played the riff different which affected the groove.

The situation is the same for Promised land, they never got the fantastic groove from the studio version when they performed it live. Different bassplayer live from in the studio.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:57 am

I think that Elvis did some fantastic versions live of Burning Love.

But the best performances of Burning Love have not been recorded officialy so we have to listen soundboard recordings that do not have the dynamics of the studio recording.

But in '75 Elvis delivered this song with verve and very fine voice!

Re: Burning love live

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:32 pm

samses wrote:I think that Elvis never did this song as good live as in the studio...

My feelings are exactly the opposite... as I've stated on a previous post Burning Love recorded
on January 14, 1973 is IMO Elvis' finest version of this number.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:09 pm

I think Elvis singing on Burning love was good everytime he did it live, but the TCB band did never get the heavy feeling from the studio version on stage.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:54 am

i love the first performance he did in eot...

i love the part where he grunts out playfully with the lyrics. that version was smokin'. and i could careless about him reading the lyrics...there was so much energy there.

that's my favorite version.

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:30 pm

I agree with Brad. I believe the "Aloha" version of BL was the best. I loved the controlled aggression Elvis put into that performance.

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:02 pm

KHoots wrote:I agree with Brad. I believe the "Aloha" version of BL was the best. I loved the controlled aggression Elvis put into that performance.

Funny, I think it's the exact opposite. I thought the entire first half of Aloha was lackluster, he was understandably nervous of course, but in my opinion, it affected his performance. His voice was a little shaky and tinny. Around the time of What Now My Love, he seemed to get more relaxed.

There's a few versions from summer 75 of Burning Love that completely rock, however...

Axe

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:07 pm

100% agree with you on that Axe.

75 was the year he rocked the country with Burning love...GET IT ON.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:16 am

They're all fine, but I pick On Tour. I think that version in some ways was closest to the studio version, and for whatever reason, it just seems that performance of the song was the most memorable one.

Re: Burning love live

Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:50 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
samses wrote:I think that Elvis never did this song as good live as in the studio...

My feelings are exactly the opposite... as I've stated on a previous post Burning Love recorded
on January 14, 1973 is IMO Elvis' finest version of this number.

I totally agree!

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:31 pm

Denman -

There's something wrong with the quote in your signature.

I don't think Elvis ever said that, not exactly.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:09 pm

In March 1972 all he wanted to sing were -My woman left me!!!- songs because of the Priscilla situation. The last thing on his mind was rockin' and rollin' so i don't buy that he disliked the song either. His head just wasn't into it at the time. I prefer the live version. The 75 versions weregreat and i also love the November 72 versions.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:21 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I think Elvis did like "Burning Love". He probably wasn't in the mood to cut a rock'n'roll song at that recording session - remember, this wasn't Elvis in his happiest period - but that doesn't mean he thought this particular song was bad. The live versions from 1975 and indees the studio master hardly suggest that he didn't like it! I'd say it's just another myth.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Definately something for the "Mythbusters" to dig into I´d say...! :wink:

Sincerely MB280E