Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question regarding 'I WRITE THE SONGS'

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:21 am

I read in some other MB that Elvis had performed this Barry manilow song in concert, if so when and where..

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:28 am

I don't know but i do know that bruce johnston from the beach boys wrote it....

Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:43 am

There is no evidence to support the idea that Elvis sang the Manilow hit "I Write The Songs" in concert. Nor is there any to the notion he let rip with "Mandy," "Copacabana" or "Weekend In New England," either.

DJC

Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:There is no evidence to support the idea that Elvis sang the Manilow hit "I Write The Songs" in concert. Nor is there any to the notion he let rip with "Mandy," "Copacabana" or "Weekend In New England," either.

DJC

now THAT would be amusing... :shock:

Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:There is no evidence to support the idea that Elvis sang the Manilow hit "I Write The Songs" in concert. Nor is there any to the notion he let rip with "Mandy," "Copacabana" or "Weekend In New England," either.

DJC

Copacabana??? He was just as likely to have covered Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman" :lol:

Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:58 am

I may have had a few drinks that night, but I'm sure I distinctly remember Elvis closing his show in Louisville on June 26, 1974 with Looks Like We Made It.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:10 am

My off-line cassette of that show has a snippet of "You Deserve A Break Today (The McDonald's Theme)" right after he finishes "Can't Help Falling In Love."

DJC

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:13 am

Doc -
Can you hear me applauding on your cassette of the show? I'm sure I applauded the loudest out of the 19,000 in attendance that night.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Rob wrote:Doc -
Can you hear me applauding on your cassette of the show? I'm sure I applauded the loudest out of the 19,000 in attendance that night.

I actually have a soundboard of that show and I keep hearing someone repeatedly screaming AIL-VAS....

Is that you Rob????

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:14 am

He certainly 'let rip' with something in Pontiac though! :D :wink:

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:19 am

Delboy -
He also ripped in Memphis 1975 and Cincinnati 1976 during the matinee show while performing Polk Salad Annie.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:55 pm

minkahed wrote:I actually have a soundboard of that show and I keep hearing someone repeatedly screaming AIL-VAS....

Is that you Rob????

Surely that'll be Lisa Marie?

:lol:

Jules

Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:45 pm

I heard somewhere that this song was sung as a one liner...but donĀ“t know when....

Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:50 pm

I read somewhere, he performed only a few lines of this song in April 76 tour...

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:11 pm

Please.... :? NO!
ImageImage
:shock: :evil:

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:50 pm

Rob wrote:He also ripped in Memphis 1975 and Cincinnati 1976 during the matinee show while performing Polk Salad Annie.

And boy did it stink!

Tom

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:09 am

Quit it.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:14 am

familyjules wrote:
minkahed wrote:I actually have a soundboard of that show and I keep hearing someone repeatedly screaming AIL-VAS....

Is that you Rob????

Surely that'll be Lisa Marie?

:lol:

Jules

na, I don't think so...

it sounds like a WOMAN!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:My off-line cassette of that show has a snippet of "You Deserve A Break Today (The McDonald's Theme)" right after he finishes "Can't Help Falling In Love."

DJC

:shock: :shock: Why am I not surprised that you know that Barry did 'The McDonald's Theme'?

:? :? You don't really know everything do you? It's starting to look that way.

What about 'I am stuck on band aids or 'Drink Dr. Pepper' or 'All State'

Don't tell me that you look through your vinyl collection and select Barry M. Live instead of Our Memories of Elvis when you want to hear music?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't ask me how I know this stuff...I'll have to kill myself! :oops: :roll:

bpd

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:56 am

I thought "I Write the Songs" was a David Cassidy song!!!

:twisted:

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:05 am

On American Idol last year, Ryan Seacrest asked Simon Cowell what was the best live concert he attended that year.
Believe it or not, the response was Barry Manilow at the LA Forum ... apparently, he puts on an amazing concert.
I've seen him live, and it was ok ... the year was 1982, and I was still judging every live performer by Elvis standards ... quite unfair, as you cannot compete with an icon.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:58 am

I've heard of Manilow's version of IF I CAN DREAM and it sucks, but in fairness to him, it was a live version. I've yet to hear a live version from Elvis.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:11 am

TCB TED wrote:On American Idol last year, Ryan Seacrest asked Simon Cowell what was the best live concert he attended that year.
Believe it or not, the response was Barry Manilow at the LA Forum ... apparently, he puts on an amazing concert.
I've seen him live, and it was ok ... the year was 1982, and I was still judging every live performer by Elvis standards ... quite unfair, as you cannot compete with an icon.

Simon Cowell named Suspicious Minds by Elvis as one of the 5 GREATEST SINGLES OF ALL TIME in his book I Don'T Mean To Be Rude, But ...

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:34 pm

sam wrote:I thought "I Write the Songs" was a David Cassidy song!!!
:twisted:

David Cassidy did record the song. Not particularly well, mind you, but he did do it. :)

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:16 pm

Jove wrote:I've heard of Manilow's version of IF I CAN DREAM and it sucks, but in fairness to him, it was a live version. I've yet to hear a live version from Elvis.

What do you call the June 30, 1968 version found on Disc 2 of the Memories. Its Elvis live, though he's singing to a backing track. Porbably his most passionate performance.