Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

When will Essential Elvis Vol.7 be released ?

Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:38 pm

Maybe never because of FTD will some of you say.
So here is my question: why did they stop the Essential Elvis series and
started FTD records ?
I mean, we had fantastic albums like Essent.Elvis Vol.4, probably one of the best albums in the last century of Elvis and these albums were availible to
everyone whereas the FTD stuff is very limited, you can`t by it everywhere.
The last point is also obvious: The Essential Elvis albums were much cheaper than the FTD cd`s. Is this the reason for starting FTD Records ?
Money-Making ?
In my opionion albums like The Jungle Room Sessions and Nashville Mara-
thon would have been graet releases for Essential Elvis Vol.7 and 8.
So I think there was no real need for starting FTD. What`s the reason behind it ? I mean, now we would have had Essential Elvis Vol.27, why not ?
What do you think ?

Regards
Ciscoking

Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:42 pm

they say that FTD is for die-hard fan and not for the mainstream, joe public fans

Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:50 pm

Is Essential Elvis not for the mainstream ?
Ciscoking

Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:29 pm

I agree with Ciscoking about how E.E. 4 is a great album, but one of my 1st Elvis purcases was Rhythm and Country. I bought it because i thought it contained the masters (after reading the booklet, now i know better) so for Joe Public isn't the title "Essental Elvis" a bit misleading?

Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:33 pm

Whilst a commercial release will hopefully appeal to both the casual buyer, and the Elvis collector, it appears that whilst the “Essential” series was popular with the fans, they didn’t appeal to the casual buyer. As a result of this it made more sense to issue the material to the people that want it, through the FTD label.

Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:52 am

The "Essential" series started 12 years before the first FTD CD was released. I believe the sixth CD came after FTD started, but ut is fair to say that FTD took over where the Essential series stopped.

The advantage of FTD for us fans is obvious:
The FTD CDs are released more frequently.

For Joe Public:
- FTD, which is a collector's only project, can take the liberty of releasing sub-par material. These CDs should not stand in the shelves of regular CD dealers. The alternate takes and soundboard concerts (generally) aren't the type of recordings which will attract new fans as successfully as the masters and multi-track live CDs.

Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:49 am

the last one came in march 2000

Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:26 pm

I really like this series, but with not good enough sales it is now FTD only for this sort of release. (except on the Box sets)

8)

Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:06 pm

It was a great series, but it seems that the public prefer the original masters when it comes to Elvis compilations. From a collectors standpoint we are better served by the FTD label because BMG don’t have to go to the trouble of editing out any cussing that took place between takes, and therefore we get a truer picture of Elvis’ recording process.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:59 pm

rocking rebel, you mean if Elvis say a bad word ?? :D

Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:18 pm

elvis_king wrote:rocking rebel, you mean if Elvis say a bad word ?? :D

That’s right,

If the “Nashville Marathon” for example had been part of the “Essential” series rather than an FTD release, I think it’s fair to say that there would have been a few more edits made, before it was actually issued.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:15 pm

Something tells me you wouldn't have had the "Italian Version" of "Moody Blue" on a mainstream BMG release.
I don't think we'll be seeing any additions to the EE series.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:09 pm

Hi, rebell

Obviously you`re right. We got the Essential Elvis Vol.4 in an edited
version whereas we got the unedited cassette version on There a Whole
Lot-Ta Shakin`Goin`On.
Elvis using offensive language is obviously too hard for the producers
to release on mainstream albums. Therefore it makes sense to create
a special collectors label.
The reputation of Elvis as a shy humble human being must be kept on.

Take care
Ciscoking

Where can we find the FTDs????

Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:15 pm

I agree with everybody here, but...

I can certainly find an essential album, however, the FTD albums never came to Brazil and probably will never be released here....

Do You think this is fair?????

What about Memphis Sessions?

Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:25 pm

You can't tell me FTD hasn't impacted what they would release. FTD's Memphis Sessions is a superb cd which would have been great for general release, fitting the Essential format perfectly. critics would have loved it and fans would have eaten it up.

Memphis Sessions not getting mainstream release is, to me, one of BMG's worst blunders during the Ernst years. At the very least, they could have made it the entire disc three of TT&F or the upcoming Up Close boxes. Yes it blows the "nearly every session" concept of TT&F but who wouldn't have sacrificed The Love Machine and the other weak movie entries, for example, for the Memphis alternates? Reviews would have been much very favorable for the box, rather than extremely mixed.

Those are must own tracks! Should never have been on a collectors label with a premium price tag.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:18 pm

I totally coincide with you, Brian. Well-written. And there`s nothing to
complain about Elvis`dirty language.
This one has to be a strictly mainstream release made availible to everyone
and not just for true collectors along with some other FTD-releases.
It confirms my first post.

Regards
Ciscoking.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:43 pm

I guess only Ernst can clear this up really. It was my understanding that the “Essential” series were poor sellers, and therefore the decision was taken to issue this type of material through FTD.

However, BMG still issue a 4CD set of out takes every year that is presumably aimed at both the Elvis collector, and the casual buyer, and these sets have proven to be steady sellers.

It has already been mentioned elsewhere in this thread that some of the material issued by FTD is arguably stronger than what has been included on BMG’s official collections, and I think this is a valid point. I would also agree that the quality of the material on the “Memphis Sessions” CD did deserve a wider audience.

It’s also worth noting though, that when BMG compiled the CD “The Live Greatest Hits”, a number of performances were included that had only been available previously on FTD releases, and I think it’s possible that further out takes that were first issued via FTD could feature on mainstream collections in the future.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:00 pm

Hi, RockinRebel!

Yeah, Ernst has said (and said to me when I met him and asked) that there would not be any more "Essential Elvis" CDs because of sales. The FTDs are less costly for RCA and achieve the same goal while not having to have the "blue" words edited out.

RR, just a side note, I'd love your opinion on the remixes if you get a chance, just PM me and let me know. :)

Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:50 am

rockinrebel wrote:
elvis_king wrote:rocking rebel, you mean if Elvis say a bad word ?? :D

That’s right,

If the “Nashville Marathon” for example had been part of the “Essential” series rather than an FTD release, I think it’s fair to say that there would have been a few more edits made, before it was actually issued.

The bad language isn't the biggest issue, I think.
Several of the takes used on NM have quite distinctive vocal flaws. I'm thinking of El being rather flat here and there on tunes like The sound of your cry, Tomorrow never comes and The next step is love.
I'm pretty sure that would disappoint the casual fan. Not even to mention what a CD reviewer would think!

Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:13 pm

To my knowledge there will be no future releases of the Essential Elvis series. Just like so many other great titles the whole series has been deleted from the official catalogue. Vol. 6 was the last one to be released.