Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

1977 versus 1976

Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:53 am

Based on what I've heard and read, it seems that except for just a few shows in late December of 1976, Elvis seemed to work harder in 1977 than he did in 1976. I really enjoy listening to the last 2 shows (6/25 and 6/26). Even though he isn't completely healthy, he seems to give a really good effort for these shows. It seems like 76 might have been his worst year for performing, not 77 as some would say. We'll never know, but I think the concert tour in August of 77 would have good. Elvis was keyed up for it.

Does anybody have any comments related to this?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:56 am

I'd take a 1977 show as compared to a show in the summer of 1976 any day.

From my listening experience, the shows of 1976 didn't start improving until October, so I tend to agree with you.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:12 am

1976 certainly had it's ups and downs, but one of my all time fav Elvis shows from '76, or the late 70's for that matter, is from the disc OLD TIMES ARE NOT FORGOTTEN, or also known as ONE NIGHT IN ALABAMA.

maybe I've jus gotten used to hearing Elvis in '76, but I don't think Elvis advanced that much in '77. In fact, some of those '77 shows are really not listenable.

jus my opinion.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:26 am

Elvis's voice seems to have improved in 77, its stronger and fullet, but 76 he is just flat and whiny and his performance, except for some numbers, is basically a run through. in 77, his voice is much stronger.its only from the december tour and some shows in early 76 he improves. 77 was over all not too bad, just listen to EIC, spring tours 77, and the last 2 shows.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:35 am

Elvis voice in '76 flat and whiny?
Don't judge Elvis voice on soundboard recordings... has nothing to do with the actual sound during the concerts.

Did Elvis work harder in'77? His shows were shorter compared to '76 so I don't think so.

Cheers, RJ

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:10 pm

You are so right. Soundboards sound NOTHING like actually being there and I can speak from experience.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:08 pm

It´s really hard to say that... 1976 had its up and down in his concerts. You can hear Elvis singing with more enthusiasm in seasons like March, April, October, November and December... I really like all the 77 concerts. His voice is as powerful as 76 concerts...

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:42 pm

Rob wrote:You are so right. Soundboards sound NOTHING like actually being there and I can speak from experience.

This puts you in a very priviliged position. Some of us can only judge by the soundboards, and '76 and for that matter '77 were not classic years by any stretch. So for current listening pleasure based on the available evidence, if Elvis sounds "nasal and whiney" why should we disbelieve our ears?

Please believe, I'm not having a pop, or disbelieving the live experience, I am suggesting the documentary evidence is irrefutable, and it doesn't capture the charisma that seems to have compensated for some very lacklustre work.

Best wishes

Geoff

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:03 pm

I would have to say 77 was better overall than 76, but only the summer months. Elvis' voice WAS flat and whiny at the beginning of most of those summer shows. He can barely even speak during some of those soundboards. The spring, fall and December tours were of course pretty good to balls-to-the-wall great, depending on the night.

I tend to look at the ever-varying quality of Elvis' shows from 1974 on like a car driving on the ice and snow...the tail end starts to swerve back and forth a bit, then recovers, then swings wider until it fishtails into the ditch.

Not a very pretty analogy for our man, but that's kind of how it seems to me.

Axe