Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I would love to see an Elvis Acoustic album

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:14 am

I am not talking about un-plugged. I am talking about no bass, no drums, no electric anything. No piano. I am basically talking about Elvis accompanied by just acoustic guitar. Similair in the vain of one of Johnny Cash's last albums.

I don't know what it would take to accomplish this. I am thinking of the late 60's or the 70's songs. I think there would be alot of suitable songs for this type of Album.

They could isolate Elvis' voice and acoustic guitar. If this can't be done, they could isolate Elvis' voice and have James Burton redo all the guitar work acoustically.

This would sound so cool to be able to hear Elvis' 70 voice in this manner. I have always liked the Pure Elvis sound with the overdubs taken off, well what about taking off some more stuff and just leaving the guitar??

Possible tracks to consider would be:

In the ghetto
US male
Big boss man
You'll think of me
Don't cry daddy
a little bit of green
Gentle on my mind
my little friend
Do you know who I am
Any day now
20 days 20 nights
the fool
How the web was woven
I'll never know
Mary in the morning
Just pretend
Snow bird
The first time i saw yer face
Early morning rain
Amazing grace
Until its time for you to go
He touched me
Lead me guide me
I'll take you home kathleen
I will be true
I'm leavin
For the good times
Always on my mind
It's a matter of time
It's midnight
YOu asked me to.
lovin arms
Good time charlie
Honky tonk angel
spanish eyes
she wears my ring
Green grass of home
And I love you so
Woman without love
Pieces of my life
Bitter they are
she thinks i still care
the last farewell
Solitaire
I'll never fall in love again
Danny boy
Blue eye cryin in the rain
Pleading my love
He'll have to go
It's easy for you
and
Dominic.......Well this could be saved for another project.

How many of you would buy something like this? I would.
Last edited by ekenee on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:16 am

You left the word 'love' out of the title. :wink:

Sean

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:21 am

Try the BMG CD "Home recordings" or the much ignored FTD "In a private moment". These are as near as you will currently get to Elvis just playing his favorite songs without the big studio backing.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:24 am

I'd buy that. :lol:

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:34 am

I'd sure buy that, too!

Brilliant idea to get James Burton to record new acoustic guitar tracks for some of these songs!

Surely Elvis' voice was isolated on a lot of recordings from the 60s and 70s, ref. the re-recordings for the Guitar Man LP in 1980!

But this time it would be the other way around; just Elvis singing and James finger-pickin'...
Man, it would've been great!

I'm sure James wouldn't mind, but would BMG go for a project like this..?

Br
Kristian

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:37 am

At first I thought "what a horrible idea" (being a bit of a purist and all), and I instantly bawlk at any form of re-doing Elvis' recordings.
But you know. . it'd make a VERY entertaining and worthwhile album. I'd buy it too.
Not updating or catering to the moderns, just stripping down and getting to basics.
Good post, good idea.. like it!

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:48 am

I know what you mean. I am a purist as well, and I balk at anything like this, but I was thinking that alot of these songs already have the acoustic guitar in the mix somewhere.

And to re-vise something I wrote.....
I am not sure James Burton would be right for this type of project. Perhaps John Wilkinson. After all he was the rhythm player and James Burton is always the obvious choice. Perhaps another avenue would be getting some of today's excellant guitar players to dub in a guitar.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:20 am

I love the idea and I would definetely buy it!

I have made a kind of Elvis acoustic cd before. I added a couple of "Elvis at the Piano" songs as well. the songs I put together that come to mind are:

Wild In The Country
In My Way
Forget Me Never
Lonely Man
Tommorrow is A Long Time
I'll Take You Again Kathleen
It's Still Here
I Will Be True
Tommorrow Night
Unchained Melody ('77)

that's jus to name a few...

And the November '73 recordings done at Linda Thompson's House and a few others, in chronological order, of course.

makes for a great listen

Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:26 am

Dominic...

You"d put a man back on the booze with that.

Good idea,hear the man"s voice,loud and proud.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:38 am

Sean Ryan wrote:You left the word 'love' out of the title.

Maybe he meant to say "like." However, he could have also meant the following:

hate.....
prefer....
do anything. Yes anything. You name it and I'll do it regardless of how obsurd or obscene it is.....

Until we hear from him on this, we may never know.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:30 am

i like the idea of an acoustic album, really good idea.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:39 am

ekenee wrote:I am not sure James Burton would be right for this type of project. Perhaps John Wilkinson. After all he was the rhythm player and James Burton is always the obvious choice. Perhaps another avenue would be getting some of today's excellant guitar players to dub in a guitar.

Wilkinson is out of the question. He suffered a stroke years ago and cannot play anymore. Burton and some top players today would be fine for the album. I'd buy that album. I love the Johnny Cash albums. Although they do have other intstruments and voices on them but they are used very thoughfully. Perhaps Rick Rubin should produce the Elvis album as well.
Last edited by Marko on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:51 am

I think it's a cool idea. I think about the nearest I've heard was 'In The Ghetto' from the 'Suspicious Minds' CD. That CD was worth buying for that track alone!

Come to think of it, there are several musicians on the board (Stephen Butler, TJ et al) and the technical wizadry (Steve M), the board could make their own. :D Just finalise the track listing, sort out the cover art and the job's a good 'un! 8)

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:32 am

Rob wrote:
Sean Ryan wrote:You left the word 'love' out of the title.

Maybe he meant to say "like." However, he could have also meant the following:

hate.....
prefer....
do anything. Yes anything. You name it and I'll do it regardless of how obsurd or obscene it is.....

Until we hear from him on this, we may never know.

You were right!

Love was indeed the missing word. Ever thought about being a mind reader?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:22 am

It's a great idea. I have thought of putting together a compilation like this featuring songs like For Ol' Times Sake and Danny Boy but the material is a little thin.

Using guitar players like James Burton and Eric Clapton would make it an interesting project. Maybe a bass player should be added on some songs while others should use only a piano.

Regarding the home recordings and especially the FTD one I don't think these can tell us what it could be like since the sound quality really isn't listenable. Listen to the live version of Danny Boy and that's pretty close to what it could be like.

And yes those Johnny Cash tracks are truly great.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:01 pm

Guitar-only wouldn't work on some of those songs. Some of them are piano-only tunes such as:

Twenty days & Twenty Nights
Just Pretend
Lead Me Guide Me
Always On My Mind
Solitaire

-----------------

Just a thought :)

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:20 pm

It's a nice idea but it couldn't really work.

99% of Elvis' recordings being done live in the studio with the band mean bleeding of instruments into his vocal track - the 1980 'Guitar Man' sessions could get around this because they were full backing tracks masking any bleed and there was a LOT of obvious noise gating added to Elvis' vocal tracks. If you listen carefully you can hear the background hiss on the vocals drop in and out of the 1980 tracks just before and after Elvis would finish a phrase.

Songs where Elvis overdubbed his vocal would be fine and where the band seperation is better would work - I'm sure the 'bleed' is better (less) on some tracks than others.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:59 pm

Oh no...another thread that shows no respect for the music the way it was meant to be...

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:01 pm

Great idea, anything that is new and created tastefully has got to be good for Elvis future, helping to attract a whole new audience to the rest of his music catalogue.

It worked for A little less conversation, people who couldn't stand our man were converted!!

Let's give something else a try.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:35 pm

Scarre wrote: Oh no...another thread that shows no respect for the music the way it was meant to be...

Oh no. . . . another poster with no vision. You mis-read me here. I have the utter most respect for Elvis' music and the way it was created. So you are wrong there. Most of the time they tamper with his music they add stuff that ruins the whole song ie. the guitar man album.

I just wish that Elvis in the later part of his career he would have tried this sort of thing. Since that didn't happen, I am just saying to take the un-dubbed part another step closer to to the pure Elvis sound.

By the way I am totally against stripping it all away to create a fake acapella version. Those creations don't sound right.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:34 pm

Keggyhander wrote:Guitar-only wouldn't work on some of those songs. Some of them are piano-only tunes such as:

Just Pretend
Lead Me Guide Me
Always On My Mind
Solitaire

-----------------

Twnty Days and Twenty Nigts? Well it's playing accoustic guitar okay in my head, I'm just sorry I can't share that with you :lol:

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:34 pm

[quote="Scarre"]Oh no...another thread that shows no respect for the music the way it was meant to be...[/quote]

Do you mean the way RCA meant it to be?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:35 pm

It's already been done. Elvis performed the original "Unplugged" in his sit down set in the 68 Singer Special.

I saw two of his concerts, and always wished that he would have slowed things down and performed two or three songs with just he and his rythym band...no horns, strings, or backup singers.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:21 pm

Steve_M wrote:
Keggyhander wrote:Guitar-only wouldn't work on some of those songs. Some of them are piano-only tunes such as:

Just Pretend
Lead Me Guide Me
Always On My Mind
Solitaire

-----------------

Twnty Days and Twenty Nigts? Well it's playing accoustic guitar okay in my head, I'm just sorry I can't share that with you :lol:

Your right. I was thinking of Next Step Is Love. :D

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:34 pm

minkahed wrote:I love the idea and I would definetely buy it!

I have made a kind of Elvis acoustic cd before. I added a couple of "Elvis at the Piano" songs as well. the songs I put together that come to mind are:

Wild In The Country
In My Way
Forget Me Never
Lonely Man
Tommorrow is A Long Time
I'll Take You Again Kathleen
It's Still Here
I Will Be True
Tommorrow Night
Unchained Melody ('77)

that's jus to name a few...

And the November '73 recordings done at Linda Thompson's House and a few others, in chronological order, of course.

makes for a great listen

IN MY WAY sounds terrific fore this!!!!!!!!!!!