Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis FTD TODAY turns my family into fans???

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:08 am

I posted this in another thread, but got lost in the shuffle. I jus wanted to share this with you great Elvis fans and wanted your thoughts and opinions.

This afternoon, my wife, sister in law and brother in law were out getting sumthin' to eat and I had my Elvis TODAY still playing in the CRV. my brother in law says, "Turn it up". so, I do jus that.

I couldn't believe, here we were, the 4 of us jammin' to this disc. My sister in law was like, "Wow, this stuff is really great, how come I never heard of this Elvis music before?"

My brother in law said, "Wow, I thought T-R-O-U-B-L-E was a Travis Tritt song...This is Elvis' song? damn, Elvis does it better!"

what a damn shame BMG/SONY/RCA don't get the ball runnin' and release this stuff on the main label. it's a crying shame that noone but us (Elvis fans) hear this great forgotten, underrated music.

And another mystery that I can't figure out is how such a great
ROCKIN' tune like T-R-O-U-B-L-E could stall at #35 on the charts,
when a song like MY BOY reaches #20!?

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:36 am

:idea: :idea: :idea:
Last edited by iamhekev on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis FTD TODAY turns my family into fans???

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:49 am

minkahed wrote:And another mystery that I can't figure out is how such a great

I agree with T-R-O-U-B-L-E being a great rockin' song and it should have been a bigger hit....but My Boy Is a fantastic song and is Elvis' voice at it's best!!!! :P

8)

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:49 pm

These things keep always happening with me. I played one of these days the Elvis Presley album (the first one) and the Madison Square Garden concert (Afternoon concert) to a couple of friends.
They were really in shock with the quality! They simply say: Is this Elvis??? How did I never listen to that??

Yes, Elvis still shaking people around the globe :wink:

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:43 pm

I guess, this always happens with all of us.. Here at work Elvis is known and very well received because of songs like: "ANIMAL INSTINCT" and "CHANGE OF HABIT". These are great "lost" songs unfortunately.... :(

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:34 pm

I agree with "the Mink" :D : RCA is dropping the ball by hiding Elvis'
original catalog work in the FTD ghetto!

Like I said recently here, people pop off on Elvis like they do on
Mickey Mouse or some politician. Hell, he's like a cousin to many
Americans in terms of familiarity.

But have they heard him lately? Ever? When they do, they
often are blown away. :lol:

I suspect musical feeling is the same elsewhere.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:01 pm

The lab I work in has a small back room for climate-controlled analysis. When I'm working alone in there I put on an Elvis CD.

My boss always takes the pee for me being an Elvis fan, but one day he came to see me in the back room, and Disc 2 from TTWII SE was playing. I think "Words" was playing, then "Sweet Caroline". By the end of "Caroline" he had gone silent and was listening intently to "Lovin feelin".

Before long he'd listening to all the tracks on that disc and begged me to do him a compilation of the 70's material.

And there you have an instant fan.

Re: Elvis FTD TODAY turns my family into fans???

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:05 pm

minkahed wrote:

And another mystery that I can't figure out is how such a great

T-R-O-U-B-L-E failed to get suffucent radio airplay and that's why it never got any higher. Sadly, by 1975, DJ's were loath to break a new Elvis record, and RCA failed to adequately entice them into playing it. Its a stone-solid rocker and deservedly should have been top ten.

The same thing is true "I Got a Thing About You Baby," a song that with its running time and catchy chorus practically demanded stautaion am radio airplay.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:47 pm

but if you talk in your slle, promised land and my boy got an RCA radio campaign. That explains that if you talk reached 17 with 350.000 copies, Promised Land 14 with 320.000 and My boy 20 with less than 200.000,

while I've got a thing only reached 39 selling 500.000 copies!

TROUBLE sold just 200.000 same as raised on rock (or the mentioned my boy)

hurt sold 250.000 and moody blue 300.000

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:11 pm

frus75 wrote:but if you talk in your slle, promised land and my boy got an RCA radio campaign. That explains that if you talk reached 17 with 350.000 copies, Promised Land 14 with 320.000 and My boy 20 with less than 200.000,

while I've got a thing only reached 39 selling 500.000 copies!

TROUBLE sold just 200.000 same as raised on rock (or the mentioned my boy)

hurt sold 250.000 and moody blue 300.000

that's sum great info on sales stats frus75...

what's your source? is it the book Day By Day?

I think another reason for the lack of interest in Dj's pushing more Elvis records in the 70's was the unheard of rate on how quick the next Elvis record was released. jus too much damn saturation. the 45rpm's and Lp's should have been spaced out, giving the fan and Dj time to purchase and absorb the record.

Promised Land was an all out balls to the wall, back to basics Rock N Roll, jus as good as Burning Love, IMO, yet, it stalls at #14, with sales no more than 320,000?

you should see the look on people's face when I play them that Elvis track. It's always the same reaction. disbelief because people think that by the 70's Elvis was already a washed up has been Vegas lounge act.

quite frustrating...

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:26 pm

It's up to fans to combat that image, as EPE didn't do a thing about it
since he died. And some would say RCA should have avoided his
'70s concert image on sleeves, but I don't really agree. Perhaps
better choices would have done the trick.

I watched a DVD recently that showed the 1993 event at Graceland,
when the "young Elvis" so-called was unveiled as the "winner" of
the post office contest by Priscilla of all people. This was the first
ever such "election" on a stamp, and the so-called "fat 'Vegas' Elvis"
lost going away.

Why did EPE ever sanction such a back-handed bit of publicity?
The implication was clearly a disowning of the jumpsuited '70s Elvis.

It alone fueled so many Jay Leno and other comedians' cheap shots
at Elvis.

So when you hear such slams, take it on - by cueing up - or showing
the best of '70s Elvis. People are floored.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:44 pm

I love these stories and that's what I said when they made that 74 concert album an FTD release: Why hide Elvis´ best work from the public? It makes no sense but of course that's just following the tradition of Elvis releases through the years. Unfortunately it's only getting worse.

Everybody think they know what Elvis is about and almost none has a clue. Having some bad compilation CD make people think they know something about the man. It's impossible to listen to just one Elvis album and get a true image of Elvis. And those compilations are much the same. They don't show the true diversity and talent of our man. It's the hits but all the good songs don't become hits. And taste varies with times and trends. RCA/BMG just sticks to the cheap concept which don't mean any risks at all. Just like Parker did with those movies in the sixties.

I would love to see an Elvis album get special treatment and being promoted with videos etc. The only album which can be compared to the albums of the Beatles and the Beach Boys is From Elvis In Memphis and they cannot even be proud of that.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:54 pm

my friend minkahed, my source is Day by Day, as you guessed..

radio airplay was too important back then

compare:

stuck on you: no1 with 900.000 copies
surrender: no.1 with 750.000 copies
I feel so bad: no 5 with 600.000 copies
his latest flame-little sister, double top 5 with 700.000 copies
she's not you, no 5 with 800.000 copies
devil in disguise, n0 3 with 700.000 copies..

BUT:

bossa nova baby: no 8 with 700.000 copies
kissin cousins n0 12 with 700.000 copies
ask me n0 12 with 700.000 copies

you will notice a drop in chart position due to beatle mania impact that reduced elvis airplay, while elvis in 1964 continued to sell as in 1960-1963, save for greates hits are you lonesome, it's now or neve, can't help and return to sender, all of wich surprassed the 1.2 million copies)

yet, in 1965, both i'm yours and easy question peaked at 11, but selling just 500.000 copies each...the reason? easy, the success of crying in the chapel made dj's put a little more attention on the next 2 singles...

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:07 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:ImageImage

Amen! Parker always chose the worst shots he could find for LP covers. Both Camden "Hits from His Movies" come to mind along with Aloha, Good Times and Moody Blue.

I've converted many a listener into Elvis fans, or at least let them walk away with a greater respect and understanding of Elvis the man, and Elvis the artist. When talking music with people, I always bring up Elvis. And the usual response is like, "Elvis? Come on...", or "yeah he was ok". At which point I always say the same thing: "No, he's cooler than you think". And then I prove it by playing some tracks.
And most of the time, I realize he's cooler than even *I* think :D

Most folks think of him as three images...a greasy headed, shaky-legged kid, a star of insipid movies, and/or a fat, doped up sweaty sequin wearing mess. Not after getting educated by me though!

Axe

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 am

Axeman wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:ImageImage

Amen! Parker always chose the worst shots he could find for LP covers. Both Camden "Hits from His Movies" come to mind along with Aloha, Good Times and Moody Blue.

I've converted many a listener into Elvis fans, or at least let them walk away with a greater respect and understanding of Elvis the man, and Elvis the artist. When talking music with people, I always bring up Elvis. And the usual response is like, "Elvis? Come on...", or "yeah he was ok". At which point I always say the same thing: "No, he's cooler than you think". And then I prove it by playing some tracks.
And most of the time, I realize he's cooler than even *I* think :D

Most folks think of him as three images...a greasy headed, shaky-legged kid, a star of insipid movies, and/or a fat, doped up sweaty sequin wearing mess. Not after getting educated by me though!

Axe

what a horrid pic they used for such a strong, great rockin tune like Promised Land.

jus what the F*ck were they thinkin?

I actually like the sleeve they used for the T-R-O-U-B-L-E single.

some how, Elvis' great smile always wins me over everytime!

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:33 am

The picture works better for "It's Midnight" than for "Promised Land." And
I agree: great smile on the other one.In the '80s, as a flipside to BLUE SUEDE SHOES (pulled from the ROCKER album) they used this shot:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:41 am

Parker actually designed the covers and chosed the photos. How could a carny man get to do the covers for the greatest artist ever in the 70's when cover art was big? The way RCA treated their biggest star is outrageous. The promised land photo must be the worst photo taken of Elvis in the Peacock suit. I think it is from LA in -74 and I have seen many photos from that gig, but the chosen one is the worst.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:04 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:The picture works better for "It's Midnight" than for "Promised Land." And
I agree: great smile on the other one.

In the '80s, as a flipside to BLUE SUEDE SHOES (pulled from the
ROCKER album) they used this shot:

Thanks Greg, I still got that 45rpm...in MINT shape too!

My copy is pressed on Blue Vinyl, is yours?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:42 am

this is what i absolutely hate, the 70s Elvis being misjudged by the 50s Elvis. i think that BMG should release a comp of Elvis's finest tracks like 'good time charlie, u.s male, merry christmas baby ETC. WHAT A WORLD THEY ARE MISSING OUT ON!!!!!! :evil:

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:38 pm

ElvisAhlgren wrote:I love these stories and that's what I said when they made that 74 concert album an FTD release: Why hide Elvis´ best work from the public? It makes no sense but of course that's just following the tradition of Elvis releases through the years. Unfortunately it's only getting worse.

Everybody think they know what Elvis is about and almost none has a clue. Having some bad compilation CD make people think they know something about the man. It's impossible to listen to just one Elvis album and get a true image of Elvis. And those compilations are much the same. They don't show the true diversity and talent of our man. It's the hits but all the good songs don't become hits. And taste varies with times and trends. RCA/BMG just sticks to the cheap concept which don't mean any risks at all. Just like Parker did with those movies in the sixties.

I would love to see an Elvis album get special treatment and being promoted with videos etc. The only album which can be compared to the albums of the Beatles and the Beach Boys is From Elvis In Memphis and they cannot even be proud of that.

You make some good points, but you are unfair to Elvis' classic albums
compared to others. Don't confuse RCA's lack of confidence since
1977 to their real standing in rock and pop history.

In addition to his earliest Lps, certainly"Elvis is Back"
and "Elvis Country" stand tall next to any '60s or '70s
rock group's albums. Shh! Don't tell that to ROLLING STONE:
you'll disturb the slumber of the aging baby boomers...
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:37 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
ElvisAhlgren wrote:I love these stories and that's what I said when they made that 74 concert album an FTD release: Why hide Elvis´ best work from the public? It makes no sense but of course that's just following the tradition of Elvis releases through the years. Unfortunately it's only getting worse.

You make some good points, but you are unfair to Elvis' classic albums
compared to others. Don't confuse RCA's lack of confidence since
1977 to their real standing in rock and pop history.

In addition to his earliest Lps, certainly"Elvis is Back"
and "Elvis Country" stand tall next to any '60s or '70s
rock group's albums. Shh! Don't tell that to ROLLING STONE:
you'll disturb the slumber of the aging baby boomers...

A Damn disgrace, isn't it?

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:04 am

ElvisAhlgren wrote:The only album which can be compared to the albums of the Beatles and the Beach Boys is From Elvis In Memphis and they cannot even be proud of that.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:you are unfair to Elvis' classic albums compared to others. Don't confuse RCA's lack of confidence since 1977 to their real standing in rock and pop history. In addition to his earliest Lps, certainly"Elvis is Back" and "Elvis Country" stand tall next to any '60s or '70s rock group's albums.

Right on Greg! Half the problem with the Elvis catalogue is that the truely outstanding albums are watered down by so much dross. Other artists did not suffer this on such a scale. That's why Elvis is constantly ignored in these 'greatest ever album' polls. Certainly the albums Greg mentions stand up to anything anybody else did.