Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Horrible Sid Shaw and his lovely wig.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:19 pm

Oh my,

If anyone watched the brilliant programme on ITV2(UK) you may have caught a glimpse of old Sid standing next to his 'so much beloved statue' promoting his soon-to-be chain of Elvisly(yuk) Yours restaurants but when i saw him i nearly fell off my chair.

Can you believe that wig he has on?? It looked really good on him cause it made him look even more ridiculous.
I thought it was comic relief again :lol:

Sean
Last edited by Sean Ryan on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:26 pm

I caught the re-run on one of the ITV Digital channels tonight and was thinking that exact same thought... gob-smackingly funny. How anyone take this man seriously is beyond me? Do you think anyone actualy looks him in the eye when speaking to him? It looked like someone had stuck a dead animal on top of his head for a joke! :lol:

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:01 am

Now now, that's enough of that and I'm sure that thread title is a typo.

Please edit it to read, "The lovely wig with that horrible Sid Shaw stuck underneath it"

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:32 am

Sorry Steve, :lol:

Yeah, you are right. I was out of order saying the wig was awful.

Still cant work out what that troll-looking thing was under it. :wink:

Sean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:47 am

Bah-ha-hah - you did :lol: :lol: :lol: Love it......

Re: Horrible Sid Shaw and his lovely wig.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:05 am

Sean Ryan wrote:Oh my,

If anyone watched the brilliant programme on ITV2(UK) you may have caught a glimpse of old Sid standing next to his 'so much beloved statue' promoting his soon-to-be chain of Elvisly(yuk) Yours restaurants but when i saw him i nearly fell off my chair.

Can you believe that wig he has on?? It looked really good on him cause it made him look even more ridiculous.

Sean

Living in the U.S. I didn't see the program you mentioned, but I just wanted to say that Sid has shared his thoughts on a variety of quite serious subjects and I have come away with enormous respect for him, especially with his ethics and sense of rectitude. I know it's fashionable to knock him but my experience has given me a totally different perspective.

But that's not addressing the subject of whether there could be a better wig. As Elvis would be the first to say, there is always room for improvement!

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:35 am

Memphis Flash,

I know what you mean.But in the UK he hasnt got a good reputation as far as the Elvis fans are concerned.

He is not bothered by the music and, from what i,ve heard, hasnt any Elvis cds or dvds on Elvis.
The stuff he sells in his shop is all from the 80's and its just so tacky.

He thinks more about the money he can make , more than his so-called love for Elvis.
His belief that he loves Elvis is as believable as if he told you he wasnt bald. :lol:

Sean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:35 am

Memphis Flash wrote:
Sean Ryan wrote:Oh my,

Sean

Living in the U.S. I didn't see the program you mentioned, but I just wanted to say that Sid has shared his thoughts on a variety of quite serious subjects and I have come away with enormous respect for him, especially with his ethics and sense of rectitude. I know it's fashionable to knock him but my experience has given me a totally different perspective.

But that's not addressing the subject of whether there could be a better wig. As Elvis would be the first to say, there is always room for improvement!

I think the problem a lot of people have with him is his tendency to roll out completely appalling Elvis impersonators whenever he wishes to get media attention. I'm referring to the kind that make you cringe when you see/hear them, and that's just inappropriate and foolish.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:51 am

TJ,
Yes, just one of the problems.

If he came out and said' well, i dont really care much for Elvis but see him as a way of making money' i would have some respect for him.

No, hang on, if he would have said that i proberly would have to hit him over the head with a machete. :lol: :lol:

Sean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:57 am

Sean Ryan wrote:TJ,
Yes, just one of the problems.

If he came out and said' well, i dont really care much for Elvis but see him as a way of making money' i would have some respect for him.

No, hang on, if he would have said that i proberly would have to hit him over the head with a machete. :lol: :lol:

Sean

I think some of the guys who have an Elvis-related career do so because they have a passion for the man. I mean it would be pretty cool for your work to be your passion. But with Sid's antics, it's hard to imagine him fitting in that category. Perhaps that's unfair, perhaps not. I just don't know a single big fan that likes to make Elvis an object of ridicule.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:34 am

The man"s a (fill in the blank space).

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:55 am

Memphis Flash wrote:Living in the U.S. I didn't see the program you mentioned, but I just wanted to say that Sid has shared his thoughts on a variety of quite serious subjects and I have come away with enormous respect for him, especially with his ethics and sense of rectitude. I know it's fashionable to knock him but my experience has given me a totally different perspective.

MF, that's understandable. I'm sure Sid can converse well on a avariety of serious subjects.

Unfortuantely one subject he is a joke on is the subject of Elvis.

However, I respect your comments as you have got to hear him speak on other subjects and I have not.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:58 am

He is the only one who fought EPE and won.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:06 pm

No he's not, others have and also won.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:40 pm

Luuk wrote:He is the only one who fought EPE and won.

But what gets me is that he did it for money not cause he is a fan. :twisted:

Im gonna start selling Sid Shaw wigs. £5.00 each.Anyone want one?? :wink:

Sean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:01 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:

Sean

Lots of people are "Elvis fan" for the money!
I knew a guy who made more income each month on running a fanclub than he got salary from his boss. Yet he asked people to "donate" money to keep the fanclub going.
Don't take my word for it, just read those old fanclub magazines.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:19 pm

Can't do with the guy

Always seems to have crappy impersonators around him and the stuff he sells in his shop is mostly tat.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:26 pm

Can someone post a picture of him?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:35 pm

Hi Luuk,

I have no problem about people making money out of Elvis.I mean, thats the reason Elvis was so popular.He was a money-making product.

The thing i,and lots of other fans, dont like about Sid Shaw is the fact that he realised he could sell anything just by putting Elvis's face on it.Regardless if its an ashtray or a pair of womens knickers.
He hasnt got any passion for Elvis's music and sells the same stuff in his shop he has being selling for years.
When his shop in Shoreditch was losing money he moved to central London and had a tiny little shop selling the same old rubbish and then he realised he could make money out of The Beatles by having a Elvis/Beatles shop.
Now he is launching his own food-chain in the name of Elvis.I cant begin to imagine what will be on the menu. :roll:
Like i said, i have no problem if your gonna make money using Elvis's name but you have to show abit of respect to Elvis as well and Sid Shaw doesnt.
I dont like the fact that the general public confuse Elvis fan clubs with Elvisly Yours.Its embarrassing.

Sean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:45 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:Hi Luuk,

I have no problem about people making money out of Elvis.I mean, thats the reason Elvis was so popular.He was a money-making product.

The thing i,and lots of other fans, dont like about Sid Shaw is the fact that he realised he could sell anything just by putting Elvis's face on it.Regardless if its an ashtray or a pair of womens knickers.
He hasnt got any passion for Elvis's music and sells the same stuff in his shop he has being selling for years.
When his shop in Shoreditch was losing money he moved to central London and had a tiny little shop selling the same old rubbish and then he realised he could make money out of The Beatles by having a Elvis/Beatles shop.
Now he is launching his own food-chain in the name of Elvis.I cant begin to imagine what will be on the menu. :roll:
Like i said, i have no problem if your gonna make money using Elvis's name but you have to show abit of respect to Elvis as well and Sid Shaw doesnt.
I dont like the fact that the general public confuse Elvis fan clubs with Elvisly Yours.Its embarrassing.

Sean

I have several "Elvisly yours" magazines and they are great value for money. Also his phonecards are very good compared to what others have issued on that field.
What I call tacky are books like Elvis what happened, Revelations from the Memphis Mafia, Elvis (Albert Goldman), yet many people think these books are God's gift to the Elvis fans. So what one calls tacky, someone else calls a great item.

One of these days we have an Elvis exhibition in Amsterdam. It will be opened by one of the Stanley's. To me he is no real brother of Elvis, but it gains a lot of publicity for Elvis.
Until recently Elvis was, thanks to the tell-all books, considered not cool by the Dutch media, so it is a nice change to hear positive things about Elvis and his career.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:56 pm

Luuk,
Dont get me started on the Elvis:What Happened? book. :twisted:

Dont compare Red And Sonny to Sid Shaw please. :roll:

Compare Sid Shaw to Paul 'leacher' yeah i can except that. :lol:

Sean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:52 pm

I went to his shop a couple of times but don't recall buying much simply because those sort of Elvis trinkets don't really appeal to me. At least they didn't until I went to Graceland last year and bought sh1tloads. :oops:

Still, I think all of us know people that use Elvis statues that they write and ask other people to pay for and then take the credit, don't we?

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:13 pm

:lol: :lol: I know where your coming from Stephen.

Sean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:21 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:

Sean

Can you put Steve`s name down for one , I`ll even pay for it :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:33 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:Luuk,
Dont get me started on the Elvis:What Happened? book. :twisted:

Dont compare Red And Sonny to Sid Shaw please. :roll:

Compare Sid Shaw to Paul 'leacher' yeah i can except that. :lol:

Sean

Please do not put words into my mouth.
Nowhere did I compare anybody with anybody.
I mentioned that what's considered tacky for one fan is considered God's gift to the Elvis fans by others. And vice versa.