Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:59 am

What amazes me is that he blamed Elvis not only for his heart attack, but also for Gladys´ death.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:What amazes me is that he blamed Elvis not only for his heart attack, but also for Gladys´ death.

In what book is that?

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:39 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:What amazes me is that he blamed Elvis not only for his heart attack, but also for Gladys´ death.

He did? Sounds like a crock to me.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:44 pm

TJ wrote:

He did? Sounds like a crock to me.

In what book is it stated that Vernon blamed Elvis for Gladys' death?
I have never read it.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:33 pm

Peter Guralnick´s "Careless Love"

Page 558, last paragraph

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:23 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:Peter Guralnick´s "Careless Love"

Page 558, last paragraph

Never read that. I thought the first one already was a copying from 5000 other books about Elvis. :shock: :? :D

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:57 pm

so if Elvis had been a nobody, a local electrician struggling to make ends meet...Gladys would've lived longer?

that may be so,
her stress and worry was brought on by her son's skyrocketing career, controversial status, and his increasing absense from home.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:58 pm

So he said it in intensive care, fighting for his life after a serious heart attack. Perhaps not the best time to take someone's rants at face value.

Vernon

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:38 pm

Back to opinions on Vernon...

Like most of us, he'll have had his good and bad sides... unfortunately if you believe what people have said in books etc about his faults and put them together, you can't help but think what an unpleasant bloke!

* Tight with a buck
* Wife beater
* Prejudiced (esp about Jewish people)
* Smart-ass sneerer
* Straight into bed with Dee so soon after Gladys' death
* Groupie snatcher

As our opinions aren't based on any personal experience of knowing Vernon, but from second hand information, it's impossible to say if he was a great guy or a rotter. :roll:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:07 pm

I don't really fault him for being tight with a buck. He'd lived through the depression and had a son with an out of control spending habit.

I've not heard the wife beater accusation before. Gladys or Dee? If Dee, well I hope he did a good job of it.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:13 pm

"Smart-ass sneerer"?? I hate those types! :D

Vernon

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:19 pm

It was Gladys he was alleged to have been rough with... I'm sure it's in Revelations Of The Memphis Mafia. Apparently Elvis used to make a habit of phoning home when he was on tour during the 50's, not cos he was a "momma's boy", but to make sure Gladys was okay. If I'm not mistaken, Elvis even threatened Vernon with a good beating himself for how he treated Gladys!

You see a hint of the smart-ass sneer during the June 1977 interview Vernon gave for Elvis In Concert - it's where he lets his top lip rise over gritted teeth...

Re: Vernon

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:24 pm

Mark Nicholson wrote:It was Gladys he was alleged to have been rough with... I'm sure it's in Revelations Of The Memphis Mafia. Apparently Elvis used to make a habit of phoning home when he was on tour during the 50's, not cos he was a "momma's boy", but to make sure Gladys was okay. If I'm not mistaken, Elvis even threatened Vernon with a good beating himself for how he treated Gladys!

Billy Smith and the other guys also talked briefly about this in a volume of the "All The King's Men" video series. Billy referred to Vernon as "a hitter."

Re: Vernon

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:41 pm

Mark Nicholson wrote:It was Gladys he was alleged to have been rough with... I'm sure it's in Revelations Of The Memphis Mafia. Apparently Elvis used to make a habit of phoning home when he was on tour during the 50's, not cos he was a "momma's boy", but to make sure Gladys was okay. If I'm not mistaken, Elvis even threatened Vernon with a good beating himself for how he treated Gladys!

You see a hint of the smart-ass sneer during the June 1977 interview Vernon gave for Elvis In Concert - it's where he lets his top lip rise over gritted teeth...

It is in Revelations of the Memphis Mafia. He does not come across as a nice guy in that book. Former secretary Becky Yancey also said in her book My Life With Elvis that he was mean tempered and stingy.

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:58 am

Vernon always lived in fear of being back in the projects of Memphis trying to scrap by. He was known for his stingy nature when it came to others but didn't mind when it came to his own benefit.

After his death, he left a fairly sizable estate to Sandy Miller his fiance.

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:41 am

simmerrocks wrote:i always thought poor ol' vernon got the short end of the stick from a lot of elvis fans. yes he did remarry, but life goes on. he may have made the best choice in dee stanley, but if she made him happy thats all that counts. and the numerous stories about him being cheap. i guess he could never believe how much money elvis was raking in and thought it could be gone at anytime, as it was at the time of elvis' death. vernon was o.k on my book :wink:

Also Vernon saw Elvis money go down the drain to "friends" like there was no tomorrow. How real their "friendship" was, anyone could see when they were kicked out by Elvis.
Let us forever be grateful Elvis' talent was so much stronger than these guys' revenge books.