Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Vernon

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:50 pm

Hello, i would like to have your general opinion about elvis' father :?:

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:49 pm

Nice guy.

Like his son, he failed to see need to buy more surrounding land to keep the estate from becoming swallowed up in the metro-ghetto it's in now.
Acquiring 400 acres in any direction of Graceland would've been the SMART thing to do in the 1950s - but the Presley men weren't that smart or insightful of a longterm heritage.

They wrongly assumed that their 13.8 acre home would remain in the quiet countryside. NoT!

Like father like son at their most emotionally vulnerable and financially insecure (1958-1960) Vernon was preyed upon and latched onto by sinister golddigger designing women.

I understand that hag dumped Vernon a few months after Elvis' death...end of the gravy train she assumed.

And Vernon '77-78 was preyed upon by Col. Parker to get the rights to Dead Elvis tribute merchandise.

The Father of The King....amazing and dramatic and tragic life story.

I wonder if it ever blew his mind to think that an intimate summer moment as newlyweds in 1934 would yield one of the most important and famous conceptions/births/persons in history
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:06 am

Yeah,
Vernon was a nice man.
I think the Colonel bullied him cause Gladys wouldnt have let the Col. treat Elvis the way he did in the 60's/70's.

I remember the story by Sonny West when he mentioned that around 1975 him and a few others wanted Vernons permission to kidnap Elvis to get him straightened out but Vernon wouldnt allow it to happen.

Sean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:55 am

i always thought poor ol' vernon got the short end of the stick from a lot of elvis fans. yes he did remarry, but life goes on. he may have made the best choice in dee stanley, but if she made him happy thats all that counts. and the numerous stories about him being cheap. i guess he could never believe how much money elvis was raking in and thought it could be gone at anytime, as it was at the time of elvis' death. vernon was o.k on my book :wink:

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:37 am

Let's rewrite history and make Vernon a saint. :roll:

In reality he was a convicted criminal who by all accounts did the least possible work (claimed he had a bad back) and sponged off his son. He was to lazy to get a life of his own.

Hi

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:51 am

A convicted criminal? Technically that's true but he forged a check for a couple of dollars to be able to feed his wife and son. I for one am glad he did.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:16 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Let's rewrite history and make Vernon a saint. :roll:

In reality he was a convicted criminal who by all accounts did the least possible work (claimed he had a bad back) and sponged off his son. He was to lazy to get a life of his own.

damn kiwi.

funny how some people here have to audacity to claim I'm bitter and full of anger.

Look at the sh*t you write.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:32 am

I've always viewed Vernon as the proverbial "deer caught in the headlights" type of guy.

Take a simple man with no formal education from the depths of rural poverty to the height of his son's fame, and it must've been overwhelming and confusing.

Add to this Elvis' predisposition to excess, and I think Vernon was ill equipped with nary the life skills to help his son.

Bottom line, father and son definitely shared a deep bond. Elvis mentions his concern for his dad's recent bouts of ill health during EIC, and proudly embraces his father before thousands of fans.

When Vernon addressed the CBS cameras days after Elvis' passing (at Parker's request?), the man was absolutely grief stricken .... not at the loss of his gravy train, but over the loss of his own flesh and blood.

Given the circumstances, I have no problem with Vernon Presley ... he was bullied by Tom Parker, and should've backed Elvis on firing Parker ... but I understand his fear and uncertainty .... he had limited business skills, and invested his trust in the wrong advisors.

Re: Hi

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:49 pm

Simon1 wrote:A convicted criminal? Technically that's true but he forged a check for a couple of dollars to be able to feed his wife and son. I for one am glad he did.

I understand what you're saying, Simon, but I wouldn't profess to be "glad" that Vernon, or anyone, should resort to breaking the law, even if it is to provide for his family.

Vernon seems to get the short end of the stick from fans. Perhaps much of that stems from his marriage to Dee Stanley, I don't know. But the "walk a mile in my shoes" reference should apply to Vernon as much as anyone else.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:13 pm

Vernon presley did what he thought was right at the time...he never went to jail after words,and i know some people who use to talk to him in the 60"s,and they found him to be a nice man.

I think he had a son?...yes, a truck driver...WHO ROCKED THE WORLD OF MUSIC.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:27 pm

So Elvis was a multi-millionaire and the poorly educated Vernon should have taken on some manual labour just to show willing?
He did fulfill a function at Graceland, managing the office with the secretaries, etc. I'm sure Elvis was glad to keep it in the family. As for his past antics, he was in employment most of the time, so it's a little unfair to give the impression he never did anything. Yes he was a convicted criminal, but hardly a career criminal or guilty of a highly serious offence. He was a young man who made a stupid decision that wasn't repeated.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:23 pm

And that a F A C T loon.

TJ?. 8)

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:24 am

TJ wrote:

So Elvis was a multi-millionaire and the poorly educated Vernon should have taken on some manual labour just to show willing?
He did fulfill a function at Graceland, managing the office with the secretaries, etc. I'm sure Elvis was glad to keep it in the family. As for his past antics, he was in employment most of the time, so it's a little unfair to give the impression he never did anything. Yes he was a convicted criminal, but hardly a career criminal or guilty of a highly serious offence. He was a young man who made a stupid decision that wasn't repeated.

Well said T.J. !

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:53 am

Well you wanted opinions about Vernon. I gave mine...sorry if it is not PC.

The more I reflect upon this ...the more I struggle to find any redeeming features in Vernon.

He was in the ideal position to stand up to Colonel Tom...but did he ever?

Again I am so sorry if I don't confirm to the ideal that anything Elvis absolutely perfect and wonderful, except of course Col Tom and RCA!

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:06 am

According to Peter Guralnick, Vernon was almost always employed in one manner or another. He loved Elvis, he loved his wife and as far as the available evidence is concerned he always tried to provide for them.

He shouldn't have been Elvis' business advisor and encouraged his son's wariness of outsiders which helped the Colonel keep Elvis isolated. However, throughout Elvis' life he was always there for him in every situation. The two men were extremely close.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:41 am

Who wouldn't have done the same thing for their dad that Elvis did for Vernon once he achieved success. He struggled for years trying to raise a family during a difficult era, EP reconized this and thus did everything he could to give him a better life. He also helped when he could before he became famous as well, sending home a few hundred dollars here and there to his beloved parents.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:35 am

Did he have a daughter called Annie, into a bit of Polk Salad ? :lol:

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:50 am

Simon1 wrote:A convicted criminal? Technically that's true but he forged a check for a couple of dollars to be able to feed his wife and son. I for one am glad he did.

I agree.
Sometime a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Especially when times are hard and you have a family to provide for. I wouldn't put him in the same class as your every day convicted felon. He deserves a little better than that.

His life story would be very interesting to see on the big screen if done correctly.

Vernon wasn't such a bad guy. I think he gets a bum rap sometimes.

If I were in the same financial situation as Elvis was, my father would not have to work a day for the rest of his life if he chose not to.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:01 pm

KHoots wrote:

I understand what you're saying, Simon, but I wouldn't profess to be "glad" that Vernon, or anyone, should resort to breaking the law, even if it is to provide for his family.

Vernon seems to get the short end of the stick from fans. Perhaps much of that stems from his marriage to Dee Stanley, I don't know. But the "walk a mile in my shoes" reference should apply to Vernon as much as anyone else.

Ladies and gentlemen, please note we finally have someone who never ever speeded, never crossed a red light, never ever jaywalked, in short, never ever in any way broke the law. :twisted:

Re: Vernon

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:03 pm

tcb4 wrote:Hello, i would like to have your general opinion about elvis' father :?:

Without Vernon: no Elvis!

I do not envy the man. When very bad times finally turned to good times he lost his wife. And later he lost his son.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:51 pm

It's ridiculous to suggest that Vernon should've been out there working a blue collar job after his son became a millionaire.
Yeh, digging ditches, coal mines, construction.

Of course if someone wanted to kidnap the man for extortion, all one have to do was duh, go to the jobsite.

How dumb

Vernon was home at the estate in that office and balancing the checkbook and answering fan mail

God forbid all that fan mail be answered...by an actual Presley.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:52 am

Vernon's ( albiet ghost writen) article in the 1978 Good Housekeeping shows what a fine man he was. It is too bad he did not live to give a more widespread account of his son. I think Goldman and the others would not have been as bold because Vernon knew the truth. He had his faults but he stresses (to put an ugly rumor to bed) that Elvis was taught any kind of racial or religious prejudice was wrong.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:12 am

Mike Eder wrote:Vernon's ( albiet ghost writen) article in the 1978 Good Housekeeping shows what a fine man he was.

Anyone got a transcript of this or can post a link?

Cheers!

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:38 am

KHoots and Kiwi: we have to consider the time and place when Vernon committed his "crime". If he couldn´t buy food for his family, I don´t see how he could have done things differently. I know I would do almost anything in a situation like that. And it´s not like he robbed a bank or a defenseless old lady! Like the others have said here, I think Vernon was a poorly educated, simple man who had a good heart and always was there for his family.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:53 am

Vern (the Ol' Bastard) use to call his son, 'Avis'!