Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Discreptancies

Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:43 am

I know the August 1974 Vegas tour has been the topic of several threads on this forum in the past, especially August 19th, (opening night). Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because on another site, they mentioned that EP received several standing ovations during this performance and that they seemed pleased at the much different set-list. They go on to say today that despite the reception of the night before, EP goes back to his old set-list the very next night. Now, this goes completely against what's been reported on this site, quite a few times. That site btw, has what happened on this day in the career of Elvis, each and everyday. I always assumed that EP abandoned the new set-list because he was receiving polite applause, which he wasn't used to. Who's right and who's wrong?
Last edited by Joe Car on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:30 am

Yeah Joe,

I must admit, i was surprised by that claim that he recieved several standing ovations from the August 74 tour.

Sean

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:06 am

Checking the audience recording we can hear the audience very happy with the concert...

Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:58 am

This is a copy of what they wrote today, yesterday it was more detailed.

August 20, 1974-Despite the ovations on opening night, despite the reviews, all the new material was gone and the show was back to usual again.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:48 am

Which is a lie. All the new material was not gone. Most of it stayed in his shows. It's hard to hear crowd reaction on a soundboard. The audience recording shows they enjoyed the show.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:28 pm

Me wrote:Which is a lie. All the new material was not gone. Most of it stayed in his shows. It's hard to hear crowd reaction on a soundboard. The audience recording shows they enjoyed the show.

On the aud recording, you can hear fans near the taper, not the whole showroom. I'm sure Elvis had a better vantage point then we do.
I've always heard the reaction was less-than-great, which is why Elvis went back to the old See See Rider, I Got a Woman setlist.
His apparent frustration would also explain his increasingly erratic behavior as the engagement wore on.

Axe

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:58 am

Joe Car wrote:This is a copy of what they wrote today, yesterday it was more detailed.

August 20, 1974-Despite the ovations on opening night, despite the reviews, all the new material was gone and the show was back to usual again.

Much of the new material stayed for awhile.

It's Midnight, If You Talk In Your Sleep, If You Love Me (Let Me Know) and
Promised Land all made their debut on opening night and stayed for the duration of the August 1974 season. Some of them lasted even longer.