Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Audio of FTD announcement

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:58 pm

(See, I told you I'd be back. :wink:)

I thought I'd pop in to offer an audio download of the Elvis Insiders FTD announcement from Elvis Week. This is from the EPE feed, and I've made only one edit -- where, it seems, someone kicked the plug loose. Unfortunately, that came during the playing of Mean Woman Blues.

Fair warning: EPE did not archive this as a high-fidelity recording, and because of that -- and to save download time for everyone -- I've stepped on the bitrate pretty hard. Considering the original quality, it didn't do it much harm.) The clip clocks in at a little more than 17 minutes, but I've kept the size just under 5 mb.

To set the scene: The video Roger Semon speaks of in the beginning is old footage from about the time he and Ernst made their first trip into the RCA vaults in the early '90s. Lest we have a repeat of the false Blue Moon rumor that raced around the Internet last week, let me be clear: This is not footage from the remastering of the material for the FTD disc.

Then we move into material that IS from the FTD discs while archival photos -- presumably from the FTD packages -- showed on video monitors around the room. Also on the screen was a text scroll with details about the upcoming discs.

FOLLOWING ARE UPDATED LINKS:

FTD Announcement
Music Only
Semon Intro and Bio
Stanley Oberst

Again, if a left click won't play the file automatically, just right click and copy to your desktop.
Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:44 pm

Thank you for this...

What was the main thing/news Roger said on the FTD"S?...just incase some fans for what ever reason cant download this.

Good stuff.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:57 pm

That didn't work for me by left clicking that link.

If anyone else has this problem try right clicking and saving target as which will download it.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:46 pm

[outdated message deleted]
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:53 pm

very interesting, thank you for this

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:06 pm

When I click on "Elvis For Everyone", I'm getting a "page cannot be displayed" error...

Help!

Rich

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:37 pm

I've added a new entry: the introduction of Roger Semon and his own account of his career in the Elvis world. I thought there were some pretty interesting details about the guy who is frequently overshadowed by Ernst.

Note: There is a short patch of audio dropouts. Although it sounds as if Roger isn't speaking into the microphone, these remarks were clear at the conference, so I assume the problem was a technical one on EPE's end again.

I've also posted Roger's conversation with Stanley Oberst, author of the FTD book Rocking Across Texas, because I think people here will find that portion interesting, too.

It's unlikely I'll post the audio of the archived visit to the RCA vaults. It was fascinating to watch, but there are stretches of watching Ernst search shelves and leaf through paperwork -- compelling viewing for us tape freaks, but not great listening.

FTD Announcement
Music Only
Semon Intro and Bio
Stanley Oberst

Again, if a left click won't play the file automatically, just right click and copy to your desktop.
Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:50 pm

Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:57 pm

don't do that, let me help out here. Give me 10 mins and I'll post links that work and include some for dial ups.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:16 pm

elvissessions, I wish you would reconsider baby... and stay on this message board... we need to keep the good guys! Thanks for the info! Gonna try to listen to it in a bit. :)

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:44 pm

Okay, some links for you to try.

This is the original mp3 file which given most browser set ups won't play direct, but you can download it by right-clicking and selecting Save Target As: <<Link>>

This one you can download (as above r-click etc) as a Real Player file:<<Link>>

This one you can left click and stream as a Real Player file: <<Link>>

This one should play via left click in Windows media player: <<Link>>

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:35 pm

Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:32 am

FTD Announcement
Music Only
Semon Intro and Bio
Stanley Oberst

Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:48 pm

Thank you, elvissessions.

That take of "Mean Woman Blues" sounds FANTASTIC.

"For The Good Times" and "Big Hunk O' Love" were very good performances from the '72 soundboard.

How is the sound quality of that soundboard show? Is it coming from a tape or reel-to-reel?

Rich

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:25 pm

Thanks Elvissessions; (and Steve_M for posting the links). :)

Did Roger S. mention who is mastering the Something For Everybody FTD set ?

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:29 pm

I'm listening to this as I type and this is a fascinating listen.

So, who is this "Dick", Roger is referring to?

he did say Ernst and "DICK" didn't he? is it Dick Baxter?

I guess they REMIXED the whole Something For Everybody release?

it sounds great coming outta my computer...

MEAN WOMAN BLUES ROCKS!!! Elvis sounds so damn good...

Thanks again elvissessions and Steve for helping me be able to listen in!!!

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:42 pm

He did mention something about the original cd/mix being mixed for radio (or with radio airplay) in mind or something.......have to listen to it again.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:10 pm

I specifically asked Roger afterward whether it would be Sebastian's or Kevan Budd's work on the Something for Everybody discs.

He told me he didn't know -- that he didn't really get involved in that aspect.

For what it's worth, based on past remarks from Ernst and Kevan Budd, my best guess is Sebastian.

Of course, I had to ask whether everything was all patched up after the rift that occurred earlier this year, and he told me he really didn't get involved. We talked a little more about that subject, but considering his professed ignorance, it's probably not worth repeating. "You know more about that than I do," he said. (Not a testament to my inside information, but rather, I'm sure, a statement of how little he knows. :D )

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:30 pm

OK, after spending a rage-filled weekend because of a hosting service that is clearly a POS, I have moved everything to a new service.

These links have the advantage that they may ACTUALLY work.

Again, my profuse apologies for any and all problems people might have had with the old links.

FTD Announcement
Music Only
Semon Intro and Bio
Stanley Oberst

Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Thanks elvissessions :)

We will just have to wait and see. Sebastian did a great job on the Elvis is Back discs so if it turns out to be him it will be great :D

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:36 am

elvissessions.com wrote:OK, after spending a rage-filled weekend because of a hosting service that is clearly a POS, I have moved everything to a new service..

Thanks for posting this! Very interesting. But next time you want to post something, I will let you use the ElviCities server for your files. For free of course so you don't have to go through so much trouble next time.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:36 am

Is there any video to go along with these great audio clips?

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:53 am

No, video recording was not allowed. These clips are drawn from EPE's official audio-only feed.

Video was shut out of the meeting completely, primarily because of the showing of rare material from That's the Way It Is.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:02 am

Thanks, Jordan. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the next time around. :D

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:27 am

minkahed wrote:I'm listening to this as I type and this is a fascinating listen.

So, who is this "Dick", Roger is referring to?

he did say Ernst and "DICK" didn't he? is it Dick Baxter?

I guess they REMIXED the whole Something For Everybody release?

it sounds great coming outta my computer...

MEAN WOMAN BLUES ROCKS!!! Elvis sounds so damn good...

Thanks again elvissessions and Steve for helping me be able to listen in!!!

Another name that I thought of was "Vic", as in Vic Anesini...

That take 1 of "There's Always Me" sounded great, too.

Rich