Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Dance Club Re-mixes

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:21 am

It is being reported on other boards the Dimuro of the Strategic Marketing group is saying that they are planning new mixes. For dance clubs and for top 40 charts.

Can anyone confirm this - and what do we think about it.

A dance mix of Hound Dog? I hope not :!:

Re: Dance Club Re-mixes

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:59 am

KiwiAlan wrote:It is being reported on other boards the Dimuro of the Strategic Marketing group is saying that they are planning new mixes. For dance clubs and for top 40 charts.

Can anyone confirm this - and what do we think about it.

A dance mix of Hound Dog? I hope not :!:

na, I hear the next remix for the dance clubs is a toss up between Old MacDonald or Shake That Tambourine...

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:05 am

seriously Kiwi, I've also heard about this news on other boards as well.

Apparently, Joe Dimuro of BMG/SONY, spoke out at the Elvis Insiders or Round table discussion down at Graceland this week and spoke about bringing out some new Elvis remixes for the younger generation.

IMO, I really don't think they would use Elvis' well known "HITS" as a possible new remix.

my best guess is they would try and use a barely known track.

I also read that Joe Dimuro stated "Elvis recorded over 900 songs...we have plenty of outtakes and alternates to choose from"...etc etc.

I'll believe it when we hear it...we'll see.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:57 am

I would not like the established hits used.....however it is a bit of a paradox.

For some reason Change Of Habit is being suggested.

Now if the desire is to drag young people into the fold then a weak, lousy song like Change Of habit just doesn't cut it. The target audience would wonder what the fuss is about Elvis by using such a number...might as well be Andy Williams or Tony Bennett.

If they are going to do it - then let's have a song with balls which reflects the King Of Rock And Roll....Mean Woman Blues springs to mind.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:43 am

KiwiAlan, Mean Woman Blues is great.

We will always have the originals of the excellent Elvis songs, and young people can be led to them by............................................... stealth:-)

Elvis is now so much part of modern culture curious music loving minds will be led inexorably to his music anyway.

C.O.H.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:06 am

I don't see how "change of habit" can be called "weak" and "lousy". It has a good bass line and powerful drumming and is quite "funky".

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:46 pm

No remixes are needed FFS!

Do you know what would be a massive hit?

A double A side of You've Lost That Lovin Feelin, and Polk Salad Annie from August 1970.

Lovin feelin is ingrained into the culture of young people thanks to "Top Gun". Just imagine when they see Elvis singing it.

And as for PSA, a wide release of that song, together with video from TTWII, would do Elvis's image a world of good with the youngsters.

They would see that a jumpsuited Elvis wasn't always the wreck in the sundial suit.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:17 pm

It's just gotta be Old Shep, please, please, please...............

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:31 pm

Can you imagine.....a nine minute version of Three Corn Patches????

Oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:08 pm

Keggyhander:
This would be a strong single!!!!!!

What about "Confidence" to be remixed?? :? :? :lol:

But now serious....I always wanted a remix version of "Change Of Habit" or "Let Yourself Go" from 68 Comeback Special..

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:10 pm

Whatever became of the rumored Elvis/Bob Marley "Crying
In the Chapel" Nightmare remix, discussed recently? :lol:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:38 pm

I say one hit remix is enough. ALLC was great, and my band covers it as well. I don't think we need more, though, it reminds me of the terrible Elvis Medley and I Was the One albums.

But if we do get more of these, I think Change of Habit could very well rock hard, if it was done right. Other songs I'd vote for...

I Got Stung
Run On
I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water
Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On (the studio version)
For the Heart
Stranger in My Own Hometown
Wearin' that Loved On Look

Axe

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:38 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Can you imagine.....a nine minute version of Three Corn Patches????

Oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Perhaps FTD will release this version in celebrating Simpkins 13th birthday :lol:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:14 am

KiwiAlan

Regarding "COH" That's just your opinion and IMO your opinion is a million miles OFF the truth COH is a really awesome totally underrated GEM.

The COH vocal is fckn awesome (i know it's an overdubb) that means it can be isolated for the new remix,totally fckn awesome indeed.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:24 am

Axeman wrote:I say one hit remix is enough. ALLC was great, and my band covers it as well. I don't think we need more, though, it reminds me of the terrible Elvis Medley and I Was the One albums.

But if we do get more of these, I think Change of Habit could very well rock hard, if it was done right. Other songs I'd vote for...

I Got Stung
Run On
I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water
Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On (the studio version)
For the Heart
Stranger in My Own Hometown
Wearin' that Loved On Look

Axe

You really have some good choices and nobody never mentioned Run On before as far as I know.
I really could imagine something from my head :wink:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:35 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:
Tom in North Carolina wrote:Can you imagine.....a nine minute version of Three Corn Patches????

Oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Perhaps FTD will release this version in celebrating Simpkins 13th birthday :lol:

Oh man, we gotta wait 4 years!!!???

Tom

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Now, now....! :oops:

I'm a huge "Change of Habit" fan in it's original form.

I'm open to a re-mix.

But again, too many such gimmicky "new" Elvis songs
will backfire.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:52 pm

The main reason for any decision to now do more re-mixes is basically to keep Elvis at the top. His music does not sell at the level of an Eminem(which I hate) and most of rap acts today. I am not a fan of rap either. But it is what's selling and they see that. Elvis has got to be 'hip' to a newer and younger generation for him to have success in the future. We live in a different time now than we did 10 years ago is somewhat changing to influinces of the 70's and 80's. again. Most R&B artists today are doing more 70's style soul.

Dance clubs is where most artists are getting their breaks and kids are hearing their music in the clubs. It's also where ALLC got it's big break with a younger audience. Not MTV or radio. MTV and Radio picked up after the kids heard it on the club scene.

Dimuro said that they are "targeting a more mainstream crowd of listeners". That means a newer generation, which I fall in. I just turned 21 this past Monday.

The long-term goal is to sell re-mixed dance and contemporary lesser known Elvis music to the newer younger generation and to hope that the newer fans will want to hear the older original recordings updated with modern day technology. In order to do that they need the re-mixes and remakes first.

Always remember that Elvis's die hard fans that have been the ones buying the albums and cd's over the past 50 years are still going to have the originals they so much love. But at the same time, also realize that by doing these new re-mixes and remakes for a modern day crowd that Elvis has a chance bring in more new young fans who weren't even born when he died (like me) and to grow with the future as a modern day successful (non living) artist and chart topper.

I'm sure every Elvis fan in the world wants to see that happen! I know I do! To me, it's his voice that made the hits. Not the backing tracks or arrangments originally done. Just Elvis! You can take that unique soulful and pasionate voice and recreate masterpieces today with the right producers and engineers. Give it a chance. You might end up liking the newer versions better than the originals after all. You'll never know until you hear them. :D

Re: C.O.H.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:38 pm

TONY wrote:I don't see how "change of habit" can be called "weak" and "lousy". It has a good bass line and powerful drumming and is quite "funky".

I agree with you Tony.

I have always said that Change Of Habit is the best song for a remix.... or maybe "Wearing That Loved On Look"....

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:50 pm

Change Of Habit
Let Yourself Go (68 Comeback version)
Stranger In My own Home Town
Power Of My Love
See See Rider (Feb 70 version)
If You Talk In Your Sleep
If You Don't Come Back
It's Only Love (dance re-mix)
Clean Up Your Own Back Yard (a new reggae re-mix)
Wearin That Loved On Look
In The Ghetto (a hip hop re-mix w/ a rap segment near end)

Those are the only real possibilities for a huge worldwide #1 that I can think of the moment. But those 11, plus ALLC extended version and Rubberneckin extended version would make a great Re-mix album to market to the mainstream public. Plus add in some new contemporary remakes of Always On My Mind, Bridge Over Troubled Water, If I Can Dream, and a duet with Lisa marie on Don't Cry Daddy to give a more contemporary feel and you got another #1 album worldwide! Probably in time a bigger seller than any other project they have done since Elvis died, including 30 #1 Hits.:D

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:00 am

Lakeisha: I liked your idea...of having a full remix album.
Maybe a good album to be thought by BMG??

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:20 am

Lakeisha wrote:The main reason for any decision to now do more re-mixes is basically to keep Elvis at the top. His music does not sell at the level of an Eminem(which I hate) and most of rap acts today. I am not a fan of rap either. But it is what's selling and they see that. Elvis has got to be 'hip' to a newer and younger generation for him to have success in the future. We live in a different time now than we did 10 years ago is somewhat changing to influinces of the 70's and 80's. again. Most R&B artists today are doing more 70's style soul.

Dance clubs is where most artists are getting their breaks and kids are hearing their music in the clubs. It's also where ALLC got it's big break with a younger audience. Not MTV or radio. MTV and Radio picked up after the kids heard it on the club scene.

Dimuro said that they are "targeting a more mainstream crowd of listeners". That means a newer generation, which I fall in. I just turned 21 this past Monday.

I get what you're saying, but then you wouldn't remember the 80's. First they did the Guitar Man country updated thing. And I'll admit I liked about half that LP. Then they did the Elvis Medley...then they overdubbed instruments on 50's songs for "I Was the One". For me it was a very difficult time. The work they did on the songs was not always good, and the success was very limited. I worry that this will become another predictable gimmick and to be honest I was disappointed with the way they re-mixed Rubberneckin'.
Elvis was what Elvis was...one remix to bring a younger audience's attention to Elvis is fine, but if you have to change the music on everything to get kids to listen, then it's not really Elvis they're listening to.

By the way, Eminem and rap music is not the same as the remix they did on ALLC (techno-dance-trance-groove whatever). Rap and hip-hop are totally different from that.

Axe

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:10 am

Come on, I want an extended re-mix of Dominic and have it spliced with The whiffen poof song.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:12 am

What about a medley of Confidence / Old Macdonald???

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:17 am

better yet do a 10:00 re-mix of Yippie Yi Yo Ki Ya and mix it with Hey, Hey, Hey, repeating the glacsotonic phosphate (however it's spelled) line several times. that would rock. Old MacDonald should be saved for the next re-mix as it's too much of a rocker to be tampered with right now. I do think that Eminem & Ja Rule should be on the old macdonald remix.

Imagine Three Corn Patches done with the group KORN. :lol: