Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Week 2005

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:58 pm

Whew!! Just returned from five nights of Elvis Week, and what a time it was. In terms of numbers, it was considered an "off year," but the numbers were still good. The tent entertainment was good, and there were many things to do around Memphis. Highlights for me included:

Tupelo: I had never been there in the several Memphis treks I have taken. I enjoyed seeing the landmarks I had seen in print and other sources, and getting a general "feel" for Tupelo--the neighborhoods in which Elvis was raised, and the lay of the land. We went to Priceville cemetery and it got me thinking about Jessie Garon. The long-standing word is that it was unmarked. I understand the Presley's had no money for a headstone, but wouldn't Elvis have seen to it when money was plentiful to secure a "proper" burial site for his brother? The tour guide mentioned the rumor of Jessie having possibly been buried in a shoe box in the back yard, and I wondered if that is a more plausible reason for why Jessie's remains would not have been marked, or even moved to Graceland at some point. I was also a bit disappointed to have seen the old stadium torn down. Such history there.

Sun Studio: It had been ten years since my last visit of Sun, and it was awesome. It has a lot to offer these days; in fact, I even recorded "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again" in the control room. What a kick that was, recording a song a few feet from the spot of so many great artists. As for the quality of my vocal, I'd rather not say...

Graceland: A lot has been said about the "V.I.P." tours, and I would definitely recommend it. I always tour the mansio twice, anyway, and the V.I.P. tours offer a few things you don't get on the regular tours.

I ran the 5K race on Saturday morning, did the meet 'n greets with co-stars, etc. Visiting Lauderdale Courts was a different experience this time, in that its modernization was actually somewhat of a letdown for me. I am all for progress, but fans new to the site might see that place and think Elvis lived in relative luxury being there.

The highlight of the trip for me was proposing to my girlfriend in the living room of Graceland Friday morning. She was totally surprised, and she even said "yes"!!! :D :D :D

Re: Elvis Week 2005

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:45 pm

KHoots wrote:The highlight of the trip for me was proposing to my girlfriend in the living room of Graceland Friday morning. She was totally surprised, and she even said "yes"!!! :D :D :D

What did you propose ? That she keep a look out whilst you helped yourself to some of the trinkets on display ?
Glad she said yes, my original offer for the Heartbreak Hotel gold record still stands, so far nothing in the news about anyone spotting the plastic one you left in its' place :wink:

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:15 pm

That happened once when i was at graceland. But the guy's girlfriend was ugly and we just couldn't stand to watch anymore and continued on the tour. Don't know what that guy was thinking. Hopefully he changed his mind down the road.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:16 pm

I remember you!

Tom

Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:44 pm

Any info on the guy from TURNER who was there to talk to the fans about future DVD"S ?.(thank you the source who told me this weeks ago)

I have never heard so little from memphis on the ann,than this year.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:01 pm

Me wrote:That happened once when i was at graceland. But the guy's girlfriend was ugly and we just couldn't stand to watch anymore and continued on the tour. Don't know what that guy was thinking. Hopefully he changed his mind down the road.

LOL. I didn't really have that problem, in my opinion. Also, I waited until our group had passed by, and the next group hadn't entered the house yet. We're doing the "Chapel in the Woods" wedding, and you're all invited! Bring really expensive gifts, OK?

Memphis was a little different this year, in that there wasn't a huge "buzz" going on (except for the one I had on Beale Street); still, it was an enjoyable event. We attended a gathering at the Marriott which included Jeremy Slate from "GI Blues and Girls Girls Girls", Chris Noel of "Girl Happy," Celeste Yarnall from "Live a Little, Love a Little," and Suzanna Leigh from "Paradise, Hawaiian Style." There wasn't the BIG event, such as the "Elvis The Concert" shows of previous years, but plenty of smaller ones.

I imagine the focus is on the 30th anniversary in two years--mine is, for sure.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:34 am

Me wrote:That happened once when i was at graceland. But the guy's girlfriend was ugly and we just couldn't stand to watch anymore and continued on the tour. Don't know what that guy was thinking. Hopefully he changed his mind down the road.

I was hoping you had matured somewhat since your absence. Hopes dashed again, I see.

Oh, I know.......all of us who think you're repulsively shallow must be ugly and jealous.Right?? :lol:

"A woman who is beautiful only on the outside is like a gold ring in a pig's snout." Proverbs.......

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:08 am

KHoots: it´s very nice to know that Jeremy Slate is still alive... I really like his act in the movie :shock:
Hopefully in 2007 I will be in Memphis!!
See ya all there!

Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:14 am

I wish I still had my scanner, because I got a nice picture with Jeremy Slate and would love to post some of the Memphis/Tupelo shots.

Jeremy Slate looks to be in pretty good health, but he does look different than what I expected. He has long, white hair, and has very dark, leatherish skin. It cost $15 for an autographed photo and a picture with him, but what the heck...Tribute Week is a time to blow a lot of cash in a short amount of time! :)

Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:36 am

Congradulations on your engagement!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:19 am

What? Jeremy Slate charges $15 for a picture with him and an autograph?
Charlie Hodge charge only $5. Looks like Jeremy's still the same like that character he played in Girls!Girls!Girls!.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:17 am

CD King wrote:What? Jeremy Slate charges $15 for a picture with him and an autograph?
Charlie Hodge charge only $5. Looks like Jeremy's still the same like that character he played in Girls!Girls!Girls!.

Yeah, but the photos of Jeremy in are three times the size of Charlies

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:41 pm

Guess you're right Steve_M, Charlie is only one-third the height of Jeremy anyway.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:46 pm

Yeah, I wish these people would post something to indicate that they are charging for photos/autographs, because I hated to ask. Once I asked, I felt obligated to do it, instead of saying no to their face. I have always been bad about doing that. Of course, they know that others will be the same way, too...

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:52 pm

I am always amazed at these hasbeens (or neverweres) charging for their autograph. How tacky is that?!

Tom

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:44 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:I am always amazed at these hasbeens (or neverweres) charging for their autograph. How tacky is that?!

Tom

They only get to charge once a year anymore.... :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:06 am

Is it really true that Charlie Hodge charges $5 to take a pic?????

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:42 am

I would'nt actually mind paying $5 for a pic with Charlie. I always thought he seemed a kinda nice guy. Would never pay for Jeremy Slates pic though. Does anyone know if Charlie ever wrote a book about his times with Elvis?

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:53 am

Sanja did some great reports from Elvis Week for us & spent far too much time sending e-mails and not enough time in Beale Street!

KHoots did you run into her, or read her reports?

She included the fact that AFTER paying to get into the Insiders Conference
"Suzanna Leigh & Celeste Yarnall & others were on hand to sign autographs, although at $20 for a signed photo! "

HOLY MOLY!!!!

Cheers
Piers

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:20 am

PiersEIN wrote:Sanja did some great reports from Elvis Week for us & spent far too much time sending e-mails and not enough time in Beale Street!

KHoots did you run into her, or read her reports?

She included the fact that AFTER paying to get into the Insiders Conference
"Suzanna Leigh & Celeste Yarnall & others were on hand to sign autographs, although at $20 for a signed photo! "

HOLY MOLY!!!!

Cheers
Piers

No, Piers, I didn't run into Sanja while in Memphis, although I did read her reports. There was no way of knowing who was whom. I still say we should print some FECC t-shirts with our names on the back for Tribute Week-style events. Only those who post here would understand what the shirts mean.

It is true about Yarnall and Leigh (Jeremy Slate, too) charging for autographs and such, and that was a bit nauseating. Chris Noel of "Girl Happy" was also probably charging, but I didn't venture too close out of fear of losing my wallet.

Jeff D, thanks for the congrats!

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:23 am

carolynlm wrote:Yes, Charlies wrote a book called 'Me 'n Elvis'.......not too good with the facts is ol' Charlie, but at least some of its right.....

Did you like Charlie's book, Carolyn? That is one of the strangest books I have read. It doesn't seem to have any real structure to it--it seems more like random thoughts pasted together, as if Charlie sat down and went, "Oh, yeah, that happened like this..." It is a nice enough book, but I thought it fell way short of what it might have been from a guy who spent so much time with Elvis, on stage and off.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:48 am

I think so too. Didn't Charlie have a drinking problem? Maybe that is why his book is not clearly stated. :lol:

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:00 pm

carolynlm wrote:
bray1977 wrote:I would'nt actually mind paying $5 for a pic with Charlie. I always thought he seemed a kinda nice guy. Would never pay for Jeremy Slates pic though. Does anyone know if Charlie ever wrote a book about his times with Elvis?

Yes, Charlies wrote a book called 'Me 'n Elvis'.......not too good with the facts is ol' Charlie, but at least some of its right.....

Thanks for that Carolynm. I'll keep an eye out for that.