Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Feb 23/70 closing show

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:40 pm

Does anybody else think this was one of the best shows that Elvis ever gave? I just LOVED the tracks on the "Electrifying" boot. Not too bad sound quality at all for a '70 soundboard, and Elvis seems very into the songs and completely committed. Plus he does some killer versions of a few off the cuff rarities. I just love this show!

It's a shame that Fort Baxter only released about half the tracks from this show. Perhaps they only have one of the reels for the show? I seem to recall that the boot "True Lovel Travels On A Gravel Road" had some additional songs from that closing show but I remember specifically that the sound of the common tracks on "Electrifying" was much better. This show would make a great FTD release, but we probably won't get it now given that FTD released the almost complete Feb 15 show. :-(

Does anyone have any comments about the Feb 23 tracks on the two recent Legendary Performer boots? I hear that they are better sounding then what was on the "Electrifying" boot.

Anyone willing to let me have a listen to those tracks from the new Legendary Performer boot CDs? I would love to hear them!!! Perhaps someone could post a link if they have the tracks available, or maybe email the tracks to me?

Cheers!

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:28 pm

One Night rocks!!!
Elvis is in great mood and would surely be a good FTD! I just donĀ“t know if BMG have a complete soundboard :cry:

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:44 pm

You can`t do anything wrong..with these 1970 Las Vegas shows..they are simply outstanding....

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Yeah, I recall reading somewhere that a complete soundboard does not exist. I think Suspicious Minds and Can't Help Falling In Love were not recorded, apparently because the tape ran out right after It's Now Or Never (the show was longer than usual). A crying shame really. It's even more of a shame that RCA was not around to get that show on tape professionally. I think it still is my favorite show of the dozens and dozens of concerts that I've heard over the years.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:30 pm

A complete AR does exist....

Re: Feb 23/70 closing show

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:39 am

chad.reid wrote:Does anybody else think this was one of the best shows that Elvis ever gave? I just LOVED the tracks on the "Electrifying" boot. Not too bad sound quality at all for a '70 soundboard, and Elvis seems very into the songs and completely committed. Plus he does some killer versions of a few off the cuff rarities. I just love this show!

It's a shame that Fort Baxter only released about half the tracks from this show. Perhaps they only have one of the reels for the show? I seem to recall that the boot "True Lovel Travels On A Gravel Road" had some additional songs from that closing show but I remember specifically that the sound of the common tracks on "Electrifying" was much better. This show would make a great FTD release, but we probably won't get it now given that FTD released the almost complete Feb 15 show. :-(

Does anyone have any comments about the Feb 23 tracks on the two recent Legendary Performer boots? I hear that they are better sounding then what was on the "Electrifying" boot.

Anyone willing to let me have a listen to those tracks from the new Legendary Performer boot CDs? I would love to hear them!!! Perhaps someone could post a link if they have the tracks available, or maybe email the tracks to me?

Cheers!

It was the Bilko label that released Electrifying, not Fort Baxter.

True Love Travels On A Gravel Road were actually released by 2 different labels; Laurel and Cupido.

Then again, who cares about the label behind these excellent boots? :wink: :lol:

Regarding the 2 tracks re-released on A Legendary Performer Vol 5:

The sound is very good!
I would say better than on Electrifying, if my memory serves me right.

Br
Kristian

February 23,1970 closing show

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:02 am

Hi all! This is indeed one of Elvis' best shows ever! AND I taped and attended that show away back then! The sound on the Legendary Performer Vol.5 is definitely the best sound I've heard anywhere....wish we could have a FTD of the whole show.....I taped the show and shared that tape with fans many years ago so it got bootlegged.......I saw 6 shows that season and Elvis was in top form for all those shows......he was in a great mood for the season finale!!!! We were sitting at the left side of the stage (the real fans sat at the right and left of the stage-high rollers at the centre stage)and when Elvis sat down at the piano - we couldn't see him as the curtain was in the way........but otherwise wow what a super show!!!! One of my all time favourites of all the shows I saw - seems like yesterday tho' and I have vivid memories of all of Elvis' shows. Best days of my life for sure!!!

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:12 am

Here"s one for ya...

Why do the shows from AUG 70,sound miles better in mix etc than the shows from the year before?.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:16 am

Barbie, what did Elvis wear and did you take any photos (if so can you show us)?
Tell us of your other Elvis experiences.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:49 am

Hi there

I too have always loved the tracks on 'Electrifying' from february 23 '70 - my favourite is 'Heartbreak Hotel' - the best 70's live version of this song with an absolutely spine-chilling guitar solo!
:lol:

Where the h... is the complete tape? :roll:

Cheers!

Jakob

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:39 am

What's been transferred to CD-R and distributd as the complete show is very very poor quality sound.

I guess there'd be a way of doing it so that the best sources are usaed where possible and the rest used from the CD-R to make up the whole show.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:40 pm

Ah, EP from 1970, it doesn't get any better! For those who attended these shows, I'm so jealous.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:40 pm

iamhekev wrote:Here"s one for ya...

Why do the shows from AUG 70,sound miles better in mix etc than the shows from the year before?.

1969: 8-track recording gear
1970: 16-track recording gear

Also, most of us think Elvis sang better in 1970. Don't we?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:20 pm

Technically he did sing better, he wasn't suffering from the illness that dogged him off and on in 69. The throat problems of the Memphis Sessions hung around a bit and Nevada is not the best place to go singing if you're prone to throat problems already.

That said, that 1969 vocal did sound different from Elvis and I love that it did so that we got two distinctly different performeance from the three respective engagements, though the Jan Feb 70 one I find hard to tell the diff with that summer, needs to be something else other than Elvis for that.

feb 23

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:14 pm

Through the grapevine somebody who knew, explained the songs used on Electrifying/ Bilko were the only ones found from the closing show. They were found on an ordinary audio casette wich also featured a handfull of 73 Vegas recordings that also got released. No idea if the sound board recording with more songs from that show exists?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:20 pm

Imagine finding that tape? I'd be blown away.

Re: feb 23

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:55 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Through the grapevine somebody who knew, explained the songs used on Electrifying/ Bilko were the only ones found from the closing show. They were found on an ordinary audio casette wich also featured a handfull of 73 Vegas recordings that also got released. No idea if the sound board recording with more songs from that show exists?

Interesing bit of info, Ger. I have seen the soundboard tape boxes on the web, and it seems to list Suspicious Minds and Can't Help Falling in Love, so there's hope these were recorded.

I wish that Ernst would release this show and the opening night January 26, 1970 show on FTD as they are both oustanding.

Does anyone out there have the complete audience recording of the closing night show? I'd like to trade for it, so I can splice in the last two songs on a Cdr I am making. Thanks.