Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:22 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I still hope to get that DVD that honors his first album as a "classic album"...

Greg,

This was on satellite TV here in the UK recently and I too hadn't seen it. It is a thoroughly enjoyable show with excellent commentary from all involved. I will be buying this shortly along with 'He Touched Me' and 'Follow That Dream', more shows I haven't seen. :oops:

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:42 am

Wow that discussion is fun!!!! Please keep it for a while as I'm going to marry and after that it's time for the honeymoon - so, I don#t have time to discuss this daily with you.....

anyway: reading your comments convinced me, that these are "my" classic albums:

ELVIS PRESLEY - as it was his first long player
Elvis Golden Records 1 - because back then it was something special, I think.
King Creole - great jazzy sound, a mixture of r'n'r and jazz.
Elvis Golden Records 2 - the cover is absolutely classic!

Elvis Is Back!
Blue Hawaii - Rock-A-Hula Baby, what's classier than Elvis, Movies, Hawaii, and Rock'n'Roll
How Great Thou Art - in my opinion much stronger than His Hand In Mine
ELVIS (NBC) - absolutely classic album! Maybe the only one that also critics today see as classic
From Elvis In Memphis
On Stage
That#s The Way It Is
Elvis Country
Aloha
Recorded Live On Stage in Memphis!?

That's my list..... see you soon, guys!

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:37 pm

My choices would have to be:

Elvis Presley - a classic album if there ever was one! Who cares if some of the songs were recorded at SUN!!!???

Elvis - his first "real album", a timeless classic as well!

Loving You - simply a great soundtrack from the 50s era!

Elvis' Christmas Album - the most controversial christmas album ever? (radio stations banned Santa Claus Is Back In Town etc)

King Creole - the cover alone makes it a classic, and there's good music on it too!

Elvis' Golden Records - probably the best and most valuable "collection of singles" of all times!?

Elvis' Golden Records Vol 2 - as mentioned by others; the cover has made this a classic alone! And the music isn't bad either... :wink:

Elvis Is Back - has to be the best album of the early 60s, period!

From Elvis In Memphis - explains itself!

That's The Way It Is - marvellous stuff!

Elvis Country - one of the best concept albums ever! Stands out even stronger today!

Now, I can't make up my mind if also the following should be counted in as classics (they probably should):

His Hand In Mine - his first gospel album

How Great Thou Art - grammy winning gospel album, but I prefer HHIM

Elvis' NBC TV Special - historical event, but the album itself could and should have been produced better, in my opinion...

Elvis In Person - it doesn't get any better than this!

Elvis On Stage - not as good as EIP, but still a milestone

Aloha From Hawaii - TV history was made, it topped the charts, Elvis' last recognized milestone

Br
Kristian

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:41 pm

I think all of them are classics as far as Elvis goes, but are they classics as far as all albums go ?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:49 pm

Steve_M wrote:I think all of them are classics as far as Elvis goes, but are they classics as far as all albums go ?

I see your point.

If some geek at some music magazine should run (once again) a top 1000 album list, I guess only these 4 Elvis albums would have a chance of gettin' on it:

Elvis Presley
Elvis' Golden Records
Elvis' Golden Records Vol 2
From Elvis In Memphis

Br
Kristian

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:57 pm

likethebike wrote:In fairness I have never been a fan of S&G. I thought Garfunkel was a mediocrity that weighed Simon down and Simon himself did not mature as a songwriter until the 1970s.

I think Art Garfunkel has one of the purest, note perfect high male voices of all time and sings the song beautifully.

I'm not a huge S&G fan (though I do like them), and I love Elvis (duh - that's why I'm here), but for Bridge Over Troubled Water, I vote for Simon and Garfunkel's original. And I must add that I really like Elvis's version. But nothing, to my ears, can compete with the beauty of the original.

Just my two penneth,

Jules

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:15 pm

In fairness, on occasion I can deal with the S&G original, if only
because I've heard it for years. And frankly, I prefer Simon
in a duo rather than solo.

Also:

I'm at odds with the "Elvis" NBC TV-Special too. These
were remarkable "comeback" performances -arguably
his best ever- but the orchestral excesses on the production
numbers and low-fidelity of the boxing ring shows seems
to have hurt this album. That said, I haven't listened to
the original in years and it might just sound good again.
We benefited from extended versions for years now, but the
original Lp has a charm, no doubt. Brevity is not always a bad
thing.

On a related note, speaking of non-original albums or CDs:

Gotta love this cover, but I agree that the extended (2-CD)
length kind of loses the finite "album" feeling.

Both the "Tiger Man" RCA set and the FTD of other material
nicely rounded out what was on "Memories." Both seem
to have been lost in the shuffle of late.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:16 pm

Gregory,

I love the way you illustrate your posts with the appropriate sleeves and pictures. One day I'll figure out how to do that too!

Jules

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:30 pm

Oh don't, pleeeeease. some pages are looking like a manufacturer of wallpapers website and some pages are causing people on dial ups or limited router networks to have pages time out before they fully load.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:55 pm

Good point, and it's not worth the trouble, either, Jules.

It's a time-sink as some photos don't work after you seek them out
and I'm planning to cut way back anyway because of what
Steve mentioned.

That said, occasionally, it can get people going in a good way
as far as discussion goes.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:36 am

Well, looking at the NBC-Cover, there's one thing for sure:

NBC is a classic alone for its cover! How many times this cover has been imitated by others!?