Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Steve_M wrote:I'm pleased the anniversary has been low key this year, it's about time, and I hope it is the same next year.

People just have enough of it after a while, just look at how many view christmas as a hassle these days.

2007 however for the 30th I expect to have the media deciding that three years was a good enough break and that everybody gets on the campaign a month in advance and using the Turner multi DVD release of EOT-SE-MMVII as a backdrop to stories gives Elvis another lease of life.

Steve's right! Even fans should be wary of Elvis over-kill. Part of the '80s
backlash in the US came from the media-frenzy. It became oppressive
for fans and even casual fans I've known. Comedian Bill Mahrer's a "New Rules" book and tour out that has a line about " New rule: no new Elvis hit singles...!" Or something like that.

It's why this is funny for some people:

And that's the nicer stuff. :shock: :roll:

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:50 pm

Greg you and Steve were not there to see the totally over the top publicity for The Beatles..over a number of years! Beatlemania did them no harm:-)

They were hardly off the main evening news, not to mention the music ,and chat, shows from 1963 till 1966ish.

Elvis NEVER got that kind of consistant mainstream publicity.

As for the low key coverage-too late. The International media picked up the story last week and hundreds of newspapers around the world made sure the Elvis 28th Anniversary was known about by just about everyone on the planet:-)

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:55 pm

Yes Maurice, but everyone did it this year in a low key manner. It was better for it.

As for the Beatles and it doing them no harm, yeah, right, they're never outta the charts these days.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Low key? Elvis all day on our many radio shows:-)

The Beatles back then ruled the popular music world because of the massive amount of hype. They lived on it for decades. So did the so-called Rock journalists, and they still do to this day.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:37 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Low key? Elvis all day on our many radio shows:-)

The Beatles back then ruled the popular music world because of the massive amount of hype. They lived on it for decades. So did the so-called Rock journalists, and they still do to this day.

Precisely - radio, not terrestrial TV. No BBC showing this that and the other.

I think that's unfair to say the Beatles survived on the hype. For once their talent was responsible for generating the hype - not the hype being their only talent.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:58 pm

You misunderstand, The Beatles were not responsible for the hype, but they got it. Yes they had talent, but so did Elvis in spades, but he never got the same amount of hype. He was not on the national news almost every night:-)

We will have to agree to differ on "Low Key".

I've been following the media coverage on google.com and yahoo every few hours. To my mind Massive coverage cannot be described as low key. And there was good TV coverage by PBS and AOL I was led to believe?
Anyway before TV, massive newspaper and radio coverage would not have been seen as low key.

We have different perspectives:-)

Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:34 pm

Maurice, you've summed it up for me what the difference is with Low Key and mass coverage.

Your mass coverage is where you go out and actively search for it on google and elsewhere, whereas I'm talking about it from a non fans perspective where the news comes to them, either in their daily paper or on the news on TV.

If you have to go and find the news then it must be low key, if you cannot seem to avoid the news then that's mass coverage.

Elvis was in the paper every day in the 50's but in his homeland not ours.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:27 pm

That's my point, the press in America and around the world went to town on the Elvis week in Vienna and Memphis story. People who were not Elvis fans could not avoid it.

Yes I remember in the 1957 searching (largely in vain) for a few words on Elvis in the British press. Felt cheated when I found out he had been recording commercial material since '54!

"Manchester Evening News" printed a story 1957 "Elvis Just Can't Sing", said .......wait for it...................................... Frankie Vaughan.

Having observed the workings of the media for more than 50 years I think I have a handle on it.

learnt to use it too:-)

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:38 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:That's my point, the press in America and around the world went to town on the Elvis week in Vienna and Memphis story. People who were not Elvis fans could not avoid it.

Well I never saw any of this at all in any newspapers. Not saying it wasn't in the Daily Star, just that it was so low key I never noticed it.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:56 am

Steve, see http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/new ... is+presley

An Elvis fan in Vienna starts an Elvis week. OK Local story read by thousands.

News wires pick up the story next thing you know it's it's all over the world...for more than a week and read by many millions on the five continents. Yes Low key.

My wife hears Elvis early yesterday morning on radio. I hear Elvis at 9.30am
My sister in England rings to tell me Elvis was played on at least two shows on the BBC. LM FM Rings for an interview. I missed the call. RTE Radio in the afternoon plays three Elvis songs, mentions the Elvis in Vienna story and a guy called Maurice whoever he is:-) Also mentions a famous Elvis fan in Ireland, George Twamley of the Official Irish Elvis Presley fan club who raises enormous amounts of money for charity in the name of Elvis. His next event 26th August.

I think the Memphis story got the same kind of coverage:-) The end.

Our daughter arrives tomorrow from England with her three daughters we will be busy for a week....and exhausted!

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:19 am

That's it though, yeah ? Not the news itself, but the manner it was done in, like you say, very very low key. Radio, internet etc.

No marathon prog's on BBC TV or anything. No commemorative EOT - SE or any other special release to mark the occassion.

Even all Elvis' number one singles were re-released earlier on in the year, for Aug - nothing ? Very low key on the release front as well.

Turnout for this year in Memphis ? Almost be described as low key as well, though only comparitively.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:49 am

ESPN was here on Saturday and they did a live segment of their world famous hit show SportsCenter live from Graceland's front lawn all day long.

There were alot of other media coverage around Memphis. I saw a van for CNN near Graceland Saturday when I road by. They must have been there for the Anniversary special that Larry King had on Friday night. I also saw a crew filming for MSNBC downtown on Beale St.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:48 am

4,000 is too low an estimate, though I wouldn't want to venture a guess as to how many more there were.

Bill Burk may have been thrown by the fact that the audience was much more diffuse than the past couple of years and, perhaps because of the heat, was slower to arrive. The lot went from half-empty to nearly full as the vigilcast was about to begin. We checked it about 8 p.m. and 8:40 p.m. At 8, we were worried; at 8:40 we had no concerns.

Also, nearly a couple of hundred people took up station on the lawn in front of the giant TV monitor this year -- a complete change from the last year.

One way to pass the time waiting to go up the hill is to watch the way the crowd behavior changes every year.

This year, the restaurants were packed -- I mean packed -- well past midnight. Why? I'm not sure. Some guessed the heat, but people were loading up on hamburgers and hot dogs, so my guess is that's not the explanation, though the ice cream shop was doing big business, so the weather was probably a factor.

Some shops were vacant before midnight -- different than the last few years -- but the ticket plaza and the adjoining shops were unusually busy well past midnight.

Certainly, it WAS a smaller crowd than the last couple of years, but we got in line at 1:30 a.m. and still had about an hour and a half wait. That's not significantly different than last year, though I'll concede the line was down to a half-hour to 45-minute wait by 3 a.m., which marks a drop-off from last year.

As usual, when we left about 3:30, there were still hundreds of people there.

Bill does check things out; we saw him in the thick of things. But I believe he leaves fairly early and only gets a snapshot perspective. You have to be there five or six hours to get a true picture.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:32 am

Lakeisha wrote:ESPN was here on Saturday and they did a live segment of their world famous hit show SportsCenter live from Graceland's front lawn all day long.

There were alot of other media coverage around Memphis. I saw a van for CNN near Graceland Saturday when I road by. They must have been there for the Anniversary special that Larry King had on Friday night. I also saw a crew filming for MSNBC downtown on Beale St.

Nice to see you again Lakeisha!

That's a really kool pic of E and Myrna Smith you got for your avatar.

Unfortunately, I did not see a whole hell of alot of Elvis coverage this year, and that may have been a good thing, but I would assume that the media and public relations department at GraceLand are gearing up and getting ready to plan for the 30th ...?

we'll see...

Re: NEWS

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:36 am

Steve_M wrote:
minkahed wrote:
sauce1958 wrote:
Barry wrote:On our local news at 7 AM they stated that Elvis had sold over a billion records, and nobody else would ever come close.

Ever hear of the Beatles?

Oh Great...here we go again!

Why do you say that Mink?

It's true, The Beatles do come close - thay are now as much as half way to catching Elvis.

why do I say that? LOL

Jus what (mostly) happens everytime someone comes on this board and mentions, defends or gives props to The Beatles???

Think about it... :wink:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:50 pm

sauce1958 wrote:
Barry wrote:On our local news at 7 AM they stated that Elvis had sold over a billion records, and nobody else would ever come close.

You have to divide everything the Beatles by 4. 5 if you count Paul's replacement after he died. 6 if you count Billy Preston. 7 if you count Clapton.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Elvis was bigger or better than the Beatles, or the Fab Four as a group, or whatever they were. I said what I said and it was wrong or was taken wrong...

bpd

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:44 pm

Lakeisha wrote:I saw a van for CNN near Graceland Saturday when I road by.

There ya go Maurice!

That's the type of coverage you get this year - a van with CNN on it near Graceland. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:54 pm

With Larry King at the wheel:

"Cleveland: Hello!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:20 am

Steve_M wrote:
minkahed wrote:
sauce1958 wrote:

Oh Great...here we go again!

Why do you say that Mink?

It's true, The Beatles do come close - thay are now as much as half way to catching Elvis.

This is from the Guinness Book Of World Records site. I don't make this stuff up.

Sales For A Band
The Beatles have amassed the greatest sales for any group. All-time sales have been estimated by EMI at over one billion discs and tapes to date. In 2001, they had been certified for album sales of 163.5 million in the US alone. The band has numerous other world records, including that for most recorded song - Lennon and McCartney's "Yesterday" had 1,600 versions recorded between 1965 and January 1, 1986. Also, their album titled 1, released on November 13, 2000, sold 13.5 million copies around the world in its first month, making it the fastest-selling album

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:11 pm

There ya go, the figure is estimated by.........an independant research company -NO! The groups very own record company.

Hmmmm.......does the words conflict and interest spring into anyones mind ?